Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, raptors2019

Originally Posted by raptors2019
I called Lufthansa because I needed to find a way to get to FRA from OPO and they offered to rebook my return journey one day early so now my new routing is exactly the same as before except the return journey is just one day early.

Onto the question!! Will this impact my PQP in any way? ...
Assume this was original on LH ticket stock -- no UA segments and all the same carriers, then unlikely to affect PQPs.

Partner PQPs are based on ticket stock and operating. If not UA ticket and not UA operated, PQPs are based on distance and a multiplier, see

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

.... I'm super concerned that because Lufthansa changed the reservation, somehow I wont get PQP for the return journey anymore (even though the routing and everything is exactly the same, just not the date). I called MileagePlus and they said it shouldn't impact my PQP earnings at all
They are correct

...., except I've seen some posts on Reddit and Flyertalk saying that some people needed to request Original Routing Credit (not sure if that applies here or not). ...
It does not, ORC is for irrops / day of travel changes, not advance schedule changes, AND changes of operating carrier or routing -- none of which applies in your case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Do I need to train 1K MP agent about ORC? The agent on my call is clueless about ORC.
She is talking to another agent as I type.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Do I need to train 1K MP agent about ORC? The agent on my call is clueless about ORC.
Seems like it, then. I always did it by writing in to MPSC, which is slower for getting the credit but I think takes less of my time.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Seems like it, then. I always did it by writing in to MPSC, which is slower for getting the credit but I think takes less of my time.
I wrote an email last Wednesday. No response at all.

Edit: The call lasted for 43 min. I also asked for re-depositing of Pluspoints. Next caller to this agent will be a lucky winner. She is now fully educated about ORC.

Last edited by Kmxu; Feb 15, 2022 at 8:47 am Reason: added call time
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wrote an email last Wednesday. No response at all.

Edit: The call lasted for 43 min. I also asked for re-depositing of Pluspoints. Next caller to this agent will be a lucky winner. She is now fully educated about ORC.
Yes, I have noticed recently some of the response times get very long, like two weeks(!) in one case.

Thank you for your community service educating agents about ORC.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Curious, how did it turn out for you? Did you get the ORC that you had expected?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Curious, how did it turn out for you? Did you get the ORC that you had expected?
I guess that the other agent on the phone line (help desk) probably did it on her behalf. I explained to her about ORC and she did not understand what I said at all. She thought that I asked for either flight credit or refund for my return trip, which required a transfer to reservation. I was ready to HUCA, but then she said that she would call her colleague. It took about 15 min to get ORC from that point. She was not very familiar with re-deposit of PlusPoints, either. The re-deposit of PlusPoints took nearly 30 min. Perhaps, she was a temporary replacement agent. 😂
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Perhaps, she was a temporary replacement agent.
Reportedly there are lots on new phone agents (even for premier lines), sound like the first time for this "new" agent. As an uncommon request, it is probably not in the basic training.

Thanks for doing the FT community a service
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
I should just wait a bit and see how this plays out, but I would just obsess about it anyway... Plus, I now have some time to kill.
UA6031 (IAD-RDU) was CXLd a bit ago. Next flight at 6 was standby only, next option 10pm.
I asked for rebooking on AA out of DCA and they got me on.
PQF is minor, since its only 1 leg, but do I get my PQPs under ORC, especially since I "opted" for the move to AA?
I am 1K on M fare, and its was about 450 PQPs, which is tough to give up...
Thx for the help! I now return to spending my meal voucher....

I guess I really should thank FT! If it wasnt for you all, I wouldnt have even thought to ask for taxi voucher from IAD to DCA. They threw in the meal voucher.
I learned so much here!
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by huey_driver
UA6031 (IAD-RDU) was CXLd a bit ago. Next flight at 6 was standby only, next option 10pm.
PQF is minor, since its only 1 leg, but do I get my PQPs under ORC, especially since I "opted" for the move to AA?
As explained in the wiki, ORC means you get the same credit as if the irrops did not happen.
Make sure the change was marked INVOL, which it should have been in these circumstances.

ORC is not automatic but best to wait a week or so before requesting.

If you have an AA account, you can double dip and get AA credit, it will not impact the ORC.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I should just wait a bit and see how this plays out, but I would just obsess about it anyway... Plus, I now have some time to kill.
Thx for the help! I now return to spending my meal voucher....

I guess I really should thank FT! If it wasnt for you all, I wouldnt have even thought to ask for taxi voucher from IAD to DCA. They threw in the meal voucher.
I learned so much here!
I had something similar in mid-January -- booked RIC-IAD-CLE -- RIC-CLE FA no-call/no-showed which blew my connection in IAD (and would have left me with something like a 5 hour sit). When I got to IAD had a club agent rebook me for DCA-CLE on AA (just took Metro from airport to airport, didn't even think of requesting anything for transportation) -- and the DCA UC was glad to make an exception for me since I still had a bit of time to kill on arrival at DCA.

Took two emails (which disappeared into a black hole...until after the phone call) and a phone call (which credited immediately and tried shilling me on 3 different CC offers) but I got the ORC.
huey_driver likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As explained in the wiki, ORC means you get the same credit as if the irrops did not happen.
Make sure the change was marked INVOL, which it should have been in these circumstances.

ORC is not automatic but best to wait a week or so before requesting.

If you have an AA account, you can double dip and get AA credit, it will not impact the ORC.
Yeah, thanks. I read the wiki, and I guess I was being too litaeral about what "credit" meant. To me, it includes PQD, but it often doesnt make sense... I figured they would know they sent me on my way. The AA app sucks too much to tell me what my fare class is there... Although BP says Y.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:40 pm

Yeah, thanks. I read the wiki, and I guess I was being too litaeral about what "credit" meant. To me, it includes PQD, but it often doesnt make sense... I figured they would know they sent me on my way. ....
You will be made whole: PQPs, PQFs and Lifetime miles.
But, it is not automatic, it is a manually process on request.
ORC is not a common benefit -- few international carriers offer it for their programs.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: UA
Partner airline rebooked on UA

Hi, combed through this thread and figured this is appropriate here:

Had a flight recently SIN-ZRH-SFO on LX metal and LH ticket stock; SIN-ZRH got cancelled due to technical reasons after we had departed from gate (but before takeoff) and I ended up getting rebooked on SIN-NRT-SFO (SIN-NRT on NH, NRT-SFO on UA).

How likely is United to grant ORC on the original LX route?

Also side, unrelated question: if ticketed on *A partner (LH in this case) and flying on UA metal, do you get PQP based on LH booking or on the dollar amount paid to UA by LH? My NRT-SFO flight suggests the latter (which was peanuts compared to the PQP based on partner airline distance * fare class)

Thanks all!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:12 am

Welcome to FT!, rr7790
Originally Posted by rr7790
Had a flight recently SIN-ZRH-SFO on LX metal and LH ticket stock; SIN-ZRH got cancelled due to technical reasons after we had departed from gate (but before takeoff) and I ended up getting rebooked on SIN-NRT-SFO (SIN-NRT on NH, NRT-SFO on UA).

How likely is United to grant ORC on the original LX route? ...
Do not remember a recent cases but ORC for non-UA tickets or non-UA flights have occurred but this take extra work by UA as they have no visibility of the original flights. See the wiki

... if ticketed on *A partner (LH in this case) and flying on UA metal, do you get PQP based on LH booking or on the dollar amount paid to UA by LH? My NRT-SFO flight suggests the latter ...
UA flights are always by fare regardless of ticket stock or flight number.
When the UA flight is on a partner ticket stock, the fare may be allocated by the partner to a lower than expected value. Fare splits on mixed carrier flights can be strange.

...(which was peanuts compared to the PQP based on partner airline distance * fare class) ....
WIth the partner segment cap, the difference maybe less than you expect
rr7790 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.