Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:41 pm

How does EF get their data?

Do they screen scrape, or have a GDS link?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Sounds like you have some inside scoop. Any specifics you can share?
No inside info at all. Just going by the eff. date given by United to, e.g., ExpertFlyer. That cutoff date is found in post 1 in this thread. I don't know what upgrade/award availability data will continue on united.com after 31 Oct.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
This is rather odd. I emailed EF in response to their email regarding UA upgrade visibility. I asked them, "which fare buckets, specifically, does this affect? I presume it includes the normal upgrade inventory (R, etc.), but does it also include saver award space (O, I, X)?"

Their response:
We are trying to retain as much UA information as possible in the next couple days, so we would please ask that you login to ExpertFlyer on Friday and check to see what information is available at that time. Thank you for your understanding.
Obviously, this doesn't answer much of anything. In fact, I followed up to ask explicitly, "does this mean that you don't know what data, if any, you will have access to after tomorrow?"

To which they replied:
We do not want to prematurely say what we will or won’t have, please take a look at ExpertFlyer on Friday
Any ideas from the peanut gallery?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
UA Blocking Access to R and Award Searches as of 31-Oct-2013? (per ExpertFlyer.com)

If I understand this correctly, this is much worse than what Delta did. Delta only removed showing upgrade space for premier members but still showed upgrade space for some upgrades such as using miles. It sounds like united is removing all access to upgrade space which gives them a jump in the race to the bottom.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
It's a paid service that costs something like $10/month or $100/year, with I believe a free five-day trial period. Well worth the investment for many folks, in terms of saving time and bagging upgrades and awards.
This may well be the problem - you have to pay someone else $100 to have better access to awards than someone who doesn't pay $100 to EF.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
If I understand this correctly, this is much worse than what Delta did. Delta only removed showing upgrade space for premier members but still showed upgrade space for some upgrades such as using miles. It sounds like united is removing all access to upgrade space which gives them a jump in the race to the bottom.
I don't think you do.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by mitchmu
This is simply another reason not to fly UA. It's a devaluation of the MP program. The only logical response is to reduce or give up on UA flying.
Yep agree. I'm working on travel for next year. A month ago I booked an UG using EF from SEA to NRT on UA. That's why I often use UA when I can spot an early UG availablity across the pacific or atlantic. If that ability is gone I'll not bother and concentrate on other carriers either using miles to UG or just grab a free ticket. It just seems to me that UA has become hostile to their customers. I cannot write in English what I'd like to say for fear of being throw off FT for profanity.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Nope. The system is broken. Anyone who notices R inventory on expert mode can book the upgrade instantly when it appears. EF simply notifies subscribers when this happens to give fair notice to those seeking a fair shake. Please realize that while I pay a higher fare to waitlist an upgrade, the same inventory is sold to those who did not waitlist and who pay cash. United gets my higher fare class cash, then sells the seat to someone else and they get the upgrade. United gets my cash and the cash from the cash upgraded. I get nothing.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by star_world
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
I don't think you do.
Can you please help clarify for me what is incorrect in my statement

http://boardingarea.com/pointsmilesandmartinis/2013/10/delta-medallion-upgrade-space-pulled-from-expertflyer/

Last edited by unhappyflyer; Oct 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
While I certainly wish things were not changing, UA will hardly see a dent from reaction to this.

And let's keep life in perspective: A lump in your oatmeal is an inconvenience. A lump in your breast is a serious problem.

This is a lump in my oatmeal. So it will take extra time to find the upgrade space. I'm really not all that annoyed. And those who say they are leaving because of this are being kind of petty.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
And the most likely (and boring) theory, EF can't afford to (or doesn't want to) pay what UA wants to charge for access to this data.
How did you arrive at the conclusion that this is "most likely" EF not wanting to pay UA's fee's theory? because there are about 50 other posters in this thread that disagree with your "most likely" scenario. Do you have anything you would like to share? or is this pure speculation?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Nope. The system is broken. Anyone who notices R inventory on expert mode can book the upgrade instantly when it appears. EF simply notifies subscribers when this happens to give fair notice to those seeking a fair shake. Please realize that while I pay a higher fare to waitlist an upgrade, the same inventory is sold to those who did not waitlist and who pay cash. United gets my higher fare class cash, then sells the seat to someone else and they get the upgrade. United gets my cash and the cash from the cash upgraded. I get nothing.
What UA would really like is to get your higher fare class cash and get you to buy a paid upgrade later because you are afraid your waitlisted upgrade isn't going to clear. @:-)

This change may make that outcome slightly more probable.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
From the verbiage in the ExpertFlyer e-mail, it sounds like award inventory will not be shown either. Can anyone confirm this either way?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
How did you arrive at the conclusion that this is "most likely" EF not wanting to pay UA's fee's theory? because there are about 50 other posters in this thread that disagree with your "most likely" scenario. Do you have anything you would like to share? or is this pure speculation?
It's common sense. There are plenty of people here who love their hyperbole and are convinced that UA is either out to get them or desperate to turn away all their customers through the use of carefully calculated cuts. They take it very personally. As with most things, the reality is usually a lot more boring than that.

UA has clearly no issue with making this data available - it's there in its Expert mode for anyone who wants it, but limited to individual access. EF collects $10 / month from people who want automated searches and it seems very likely that UA wants to keep some of that for themselves (or maybe more than they were getting previously - I'm not aware of the details of the arrangement that's in place today)

Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
From the verbiage in the ExpertFlyer e-mail, it sounds like award inventory will not be shown either. Can anyone confirm this either way?
It doesn't say that - it specifically says "elite award inventory", which equates to the xN buckets that are only visible through UA. The regular award buckets (X, I, O) are not mentioned.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Awful news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.