Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
The true "fix" would be to make the waitlist clear dynamically, as soon as inventory management opens R space. Unless and until this is done, it will remain possible (and frankly, advisable) to jump the queue.
Hear him, hear him!!That's exactly what UA needs to do: clean up their act. It was much better in the old UA days.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Why is COdbaUA doing this? In my mind, it's clear.

EF has exposed their lies and incompetence. It's allowed us to see (and manage) failures to deliver (such as not clearing GPUs into R) and lies (such as promising enhanced elite availability that, in fact, does not exist).

We know they have no interest in fixing any of these problems, so they want to cover up the evidence instead.

In my mind, it's that simple.
"presumption of innocence" is in place for minds exactly like this. @:-)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:01 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Poor decision by UA.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I’m extremely unhappy about the loss of EF. It is one of the first changes that I actually don’t like. I hope it comes back.

This forum has been overwhelmed by people complaining about UA making changes for the worse. United has also made incredible improvements to its top tier elite program.

Since the merger UA improved GS by providing:
-Dramatically improved GS-only saver award inventory
-Dramatically improved upgrade inventory
-Ability to upgrade GS award tickets even when the GS isn’t traveling
-Access to GlobalFirst lounge on trans-oceanic international BusinessFirst flights
-Improved phone agent support

These changes were enough to secure my business long term.

Many 1Ks are still living in the fantasy where “loyalty” makes them good customers. It doesn’t. 1Ks are still treated pretty damn good. I have trouble relating to 1Ks that think that $10k/year is a high bar. If you’re not even spending $10k you certainly shouldn’t think you’re god's gift to an airline.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
One point about KVS...while KVS should still have access to UA award inventory, I don't think there is access to R inventory nor is there a way to set alerts a la EF. Also, note that I find AVAILABILITY searches on KVS for UA flights to be inaccurate/incomplete, so I suggest testing thoroughly before running headlong into a KVS subscription.

Originally Posted by jgsx
I’m extremely unhappy about the loss of EF. It is one of the first changes that I actually don’t like. I hope it comes back.

This forums has been overwhelmed by people complaining about UA making changes for the worse. United has also made incredible improvements to its top tier elite program.

Since the merger UA improved GS by providing:
-Dramatically improved GS-only saver award inventory
-Dramatically improved upgrade inventory
-Ability to upgrade GS award tickets even when the GS isn’t traveling
-Access to GlobalFirst lounge on trans-oceanic BusinessFirst flights
-Improved phone agent support

These changes were enough to secure my business long term.

Many 1Ks are still living in the fantasy where “loyalty” makes them good customers. It doesn’t. 1Ks are still treated pretty damn good. I have trouble relating to 1Ks that think that $10k/year is a high bar. If you’re not even spending $10k you certainly shouldn’t think you’re god's gift to an airline.
Questions for you:

1) What percentage of customers is GS?
2) What percentage of customers is 1k?
3) How are various past devaluations affecting UA's financial performance?

Thanks for playing.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Questions for you:

1) What percentage of customers is GS?
2) What percentage of customers is 1k?
3) How are various past devaluations affecting UA's financial performance?

Thanks for playing.
Not sure what you're getting at with any of the three questions. There are no public answers to 1 and 2, and 3 is unknown.

If you're suggesting that potential loss of low revenue generating elites is going to hurt UA's performance, I don't agree. People that don't spend money don't produce revenue. High revenue elites are not leaving in swarms like this forum likes to portray. I don't see any relation between low-mid tier elite devaluation and UA's recent poor financial performance.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blug
"presumption of innocence" is in place for minds exactly like this. @:-)
Except for the minor matter of recent experience as well. The presumption of innocence doesn't prevent us from considering previous transgressions when we extrapolate.

The lack of transparency here is a disappointment. I would have to agree that UA doesn't exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt with respect to motivations.

I'd expect UA to try to squeeze every dime they can out of Q4. They desperately need it. More aggressive upsells of front cabin inventory seems like low hanging fruit there.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I think that's unfair. My only grip with EF is that they didn't include me in the circulation list for this. But my reading between the lines in the communication quoted in this thread is that they are getting shafted by UA, but that they want to try to the channels open, in case UA gives in - for example, based on massive customer protest. I'm sure that, privately, they think exactly the same about UA as we do, but I understand perfectly why they don't want to say it on the record.
Fair or not, this is the matter of business. EF has to make this right by making moves to either resolve this issue, or to make alternative to rectify. Simple as that.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
THIS is how I feel too.

Originally Posted by ual1960
+1 to all the above

Does anyone know if this will effect KVSTool, which worked around previous bans by United. (Note to United: if you keep making it hard for me to spend money with you, I won't.)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I just got the following e-mail from EF.

"It is our understanding that this is a universal policy at UA regarding access to this data."
Originally Posted by ual1960
Does anyone know if this will effect KVSTool, which worked around previous bans by United. (Note to United: if you keep making it hard for me to spend money with you, I won't.)
Sounds like UA is going after everyone that has this data. Despite KVS's denials, it's probably a matter of time before they get him too as well as anyone else showing it. EF is just the biggest target, not the only one.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note

Going forward, let's not use this thread to debate elite status levels such as GS and 1K and instead focus on the topic at hand: display of upgrade/award availability. Thx, /Moderator.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:27 am

Has UAInsider commented on this thread? If you are waiting to comment until tomorrow, it might be a better idea to just make a statement today...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Going forward, let's not use this thread to debate elite status levels such as GS and 1K and instead focus on the topic at hand: display of upgrade/award availability. Thx, /Moderator.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Has UAInsider commented on this thread? If you are waiting to comment until tomorrow, it might be a better idea to just make a statement today...
No he hasn't. Guess we'll get the good news at 5 pm on Friday!!??

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Moving the access of the data to behind the login was the plan all along. The "outcry" here or elsewhere had nothing to do with that. The timing was unfortunate and the original plan was just to move it without the outage rather than having the gap in the middle where it was completely gone but that obviously didn't happen.
Originally Posted by uanj
Did we ever see this enhanced resource? Or, as I am afraid, was it just spin after the fact.....
IIRC, and based on the monster thread from UA's previous moves to diminish customer access to R and award info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-changes.html

The "enhancement" that UA initially offered in September 2012 was to force customers farther through the booking process and then only flag those flights selected as having upgrade space available, not with a discrete R metric. You could ultimately find trips with upgrade space but it was massively less efficient than using the "regular" expert mode which we are accustomed to on UA.com. It took me 10 to 20 times more time to assemble a trip with the changes made in early september 2012. These changes were rescinded shortly after with the return of the "behind the login" expert mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.