Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by star_world
It's common sense. There are plenty of people here who love their hyperbole and are convinced that UA is either out to get them or desperate to turn away all their customers through the use of carefully calculated cuts. They take it very personally. As with most things, the reality is usually a lot more boring than that.

UA has clearly no issue with making this data available - it's there in its Expert mode for anyone who wants it, but limited to individual access. EF collects $10 / month from people who want automated searches and it seems very likely that UA wants to keep some of that for themselves (or maybe more than they were getting previously - I'm not aware of the details of the arrangement that's in place today)
No, it's ridiculous. UA could block EF entirely if it just wanted more money. Instead, it's blocking access only to specific data sets relating to upgrades and elite award availability. I doubt it's coincidental that these are two areas in which UA has been heavily criticized on this forum. Indeed, UA Insider has previously acknowledged UA's awareness that its IT flaws are allowing queue jumping. It's just silly to deny that these are the reasons for the limited cut-off of EF's access.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
No, it's ridiculous. UA could block EF entirely if it just wanted more money. Instead, it's blocking access only to specific data sets relating to upgrades and elite award availability. I doubt it's coincidental that these are two areas in which UA has been heavily criticized on this forum. Indeed, UA Insider has previously acknowledged UA's awareness that its IT flaws are allowing queue jumping. It's just silly to deny that these are the reasons for the limited cut-off of EF's access.
I think you're missing the point that this is the only data that needs to come directly from UA (i.e., UA is the only source of this data). *A award inventory and revenue inventory can be obtained in many ways - EF doesn't need to involve UA at all.

Not disagreeing that this is bad for customers (it will affect me personally) but this most likely isn't a selective removal of data - it sounds more like a suspension / removal of the complete feed of data EF gets from UA.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's common sense. There are plenty of people here who love their hyperbole and are convinced that UA is either out to get them or desperate to turn away all their customers through the use of carefully calculated cuts. They take it very personally. As with most things, the reality is usually a lot more boring than that.

UA has clearly no issue with making this data available - it's there in its Expert mode for anyone who wants it, but limited to individual access. EF collects $10 / month from people who want automated searches and it seems very likely that UA wants to keep some of that for themselves (or maybe more than they were getting previously - I'm not aware of the details of the arrangement that's in place today)
I was a glass half full guy too before all the "changes I will like" campaign. Ive become a glass half empty guy until proven otherwise. I would like to think and hope you are correct but I'm not nearly as confident as you are.

As far as UA clearly making the information available, thats not entirely clear at this point but as I've stated a few times in this thread, I will be shocked if they remove that functionality it sucks (as limited as it is) but it is at least something.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I was a glass half full guy too before all the "changes I will like" campaign. Ive become a glass half empty guy until proven otherwise. I would like to think and hope you are correct but I'm not nearly as confident as you are.

As far as UA clearly making the information available, thats not entirely clear at this point but as I've stated a few times in this thread, I will be shocked if they remove that functionality it sucks (as limited as it is) but it is at least something.
How does my post equate to a "glass half full" perspective?

The conspiracy theories that abound here are hilarious. But being highly sceptical of them and assuming this is a mundane money-related issue doesn't make me an optimist
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:47 pm

FWIW, Martin Hand (VP Customer Experience) was a large part of the SFO Mini-DO a few weekends ago and hosted a Q&A session in which he was asked if Expert Mode was going away anytime soon - to which he solidly answered no. I say FWIW because I don't know how close he is to that particular realm of decision making, but I figure it's worth mentioning.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS
And the most likely (and boring) theory, EF can't afford to (or doesn't want to) pay what UA wants to charge for access to this data.
Add me to the growing list of people who disagree with your thesis. UA could simply resolve their concern that another is inappropriately profiting from "their" information by charging a separate fee to each customer who wants access to the data or they could provide the information for free and take a dent out of EF's revenue stream.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
EF collects $10 / month from people who want automated searches and it seems very likely that UA wants to keep some of that for themselves (or maybe more than they were getting previously - I'm not aware of the details of the arrangement that's in place today)
I'll just point out that the EF mailing release doesn't indicate anything of the sort. If it was a contract dispute, I suspect they'd just say so. "We're engaged in a pricing dispute with UA, and until it's resolved, we regrettably have to remove the information" or something...

The letter pretty clearly indicates that UA cut EF off at the legs on this one. Not that it's part of business negotiations.

I could be completely wrong, but EF has provided great service and acted with nothing but integrity in the ~2 years or so that I've been a subscriber. UA, on the other hand, can barely be trusted not to sleep with your wife and poison your lawn, for all of the integrity they've shown over the same period of time.

Anyhow, I have a hard time believing that this is any kind of legitimate business dispute, over it just being UA yet again trying to keep customers in the dark.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think you're missing the point that this is the only data that needs to come directly from UA (i.e., UA is the only source of this data). *A award inventory and revenue inventory can be obtained in many ways - EF doesn't need to involve UA at all.
You don't think UA's seat map data is proprietary?

Further, UA could certainly ban EF from scraping its site for data, and require that EF obtain the *A and revenue data elsewhere. It hasn't done that.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Excellent, on-point reply. FWIW, Expertflyer.com (EF) also has several other useful features less relevant to the issue at hand, and can be used for numerous airlines. It's a paid service that costs something like $10/month or $100/year, with I believe a free five-day trial period. Well worth the investment for many folks, in terms of saving time and bagging upgrades and awards.
Thanks all for the explanation. It sure seem a useful tool and see why everyone is bothered this this change. I, however, have managed and will manage fine with just access to expert mode info. I book my flight about 2 - 3 weeks prior and select flight with most R class seat but thing do change frequently. But I have been doing well - so no complaints.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
You don't think UA's seat map data is proprietary?

Further, UA could certainly ban EF from scraping its site for data, and require that EF obtain the *A and revenue data elsewhere. It hasn't done that.
What makes you think EF is scraping UA's site for data today? Sites that do that even on a tiny scale (there was an example here a few months ago) are shut down in days, if not hours.

UA's seat map data is available through several sources outside of UA. Try looking up a UA flight on Expedia. It's made available through the GDS.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
No, they didn't. The last time around they moved "Expert Mode" behind the login process with a span of a few weeks during the migration where it wasn't available. And at that time it disappeared from EF, too.

I highly doubt that the data is being pulled from view on the UA website, just from the 3rd party.

You could also just check the website, saving yourself a lot of time and energy versus calling in.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Info available in expert mode, so claims of lack of transparency are moot. We don't know the business arrangement between UA and EF so our comments here are speculative.
I'm a cynic when it comes to many of these "enhancements" but call me crazy in that I'm going to give it a few days to see what ultimately happens with R/RN on Expertmode. If it stays as is this move is certainly a pain but I would not call it a travesty. Though I would have thought UAInsider would have responded in some way at this point. This could mean another Friday announcement.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
This sucks. UA already took away expert mode once, what's to say they won't do it again. I think this is purely a way to hide their broken system (whether intentionally broken is up for debate) and limit the use of GPU's so they can sell more seats. EF will be missed.

Has UA Insider chimed in yet? Sounds like when things go bad they disappear. Thanks for "another change we'll like" SMI. Between the bad food, downgraded benefits, PQD, and so on it seems you've waged a war on HVF elites.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:11 pm

To add to the already bad news about no R in EF. I use EF for R, and X/XN as well, which is wonderful feature to look for the award space in UA. If you look at the big picture, this move is actually worse than DL.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by jlivengo
This sucks. Between the bad food, downgraded benefits, PQD, and so on it seems you've waged a war on HVF elites.
And, if the 3Q2013 conference call is to be believed, it's a war they are LOSING with the Street. Pity.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
From the verbiage in the ExpertFlyer e-mail, it sounds like award inventory will not be shown either. Can anyone confirm this either way?
I read it as just elite award inventory (e.g. XN and IN buckets--only XN is even remotely used anymore since UA basically flat-out lied about providing additional C award space to elites... find me a documented case of IN > I in the past 16 months, for example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.