Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
No he hasn't. Guess we'll get the good news at 5 pm on Friday!!??
You'd better believe it!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
FWIW, and I know its not worth much, I tweeted about this today and got a sweet auto reply from @united: We are looking into this, thank you. ^LS

I generally agree with much of what has been said here. This is not a customer friendly move. Its pretty easy to see why they're doing it -- it removes our ability to see their actual (nonexistent) elite award inventory, and it prevents us from grabbing UG space that would otherwise be sold or go to those who don't jump the queue. This leaves revenue on the table.

I do think that we're massively overestimating the impact on the United flyer community though. This impacts a very small percentage of flyers. I can't tell you how many 1K and even GS flyers I know who have no idea how to use their GPU and Miles to UG beyond calling in and getting wait listed -- if that. Most people won't notice this.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mmack
I just fired off emails to 3 different sites at United, including 1K Voice. Now I'm going to get on the phone to call about upgrade space for next week ...
Lurking in this response is one additional potential avenue to bring this to UA's attention: a dramatically-increased level of calls to the 1K and other elite reservation lines asking about R and RN space and other UGs on existing flights.

Human-answered CS calls cost UA a non-trivial number of dollars each. A week or two of highly-elevated call volume (which may or may not get in the way of revenue tickets being book), might give some UA middle manager a clue as to how stupid this move was.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
One point about KVS...while KVS should still have access to UA award inventory, I don't think there is access to R inventory nor is there a way to set alerts a la EF. Also, note that I find AVAILABILITY searches on KVS for UA flights to be inaccurate/incomplete, so I suggest testing thoroughly before running headlong into a KVS subscription.
Thanks for the input. Might not be a solution then.
Hopefully, we can get some more detailed info from KVS Rep directly.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for perpetuating the GS stereotype!

I suspect that most 1Ks' spend is similar to mine - that is, not quite enough to reach GS (especially out of SFO) but quite substantial nonetheless. The number who reach 1K on sub-$10K spend is likely quite limited (though disproporitionately represented on this forum).
^

My spend is well above the "new" PQD threshold but not quite the 30K "rumored to be needed" for GS. My flying is 90% personal travel 10% business. Im having a hard time thinking of a single change that i like. The only thing i still love about UA is their SDC policy but I don't see that leasing either. Its certainly not enough to keep me.

Last edited by Weez_1000; Oct 30, 2013 at 11:48 am Reason: Edit: Sorry Ocn Vw, I was scrolled up and didn't see your request before my post.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Darlox
I'm not normally one to advocate picking up torches and pitchforks, and marching on the castle. But this action is targeted specifically at 1Ks, and United is clearly relying on apathy to carry them through it.

SNIP

After the last 18 months, I'm not sure why this is the last straw, but it's time to light the torches and march. SNIP.
Funny you should write that. I rarely write to 1kvoice. I rarely post here. I roll with most of UA's punches. heck - I have even defended them. For some reason this is the last straw for me too. I have written to 1kVoice, I have written emails to my HVF colleagues encouraging them to do the same, andguess what just landed in my inbox?

A personally targeted email from American Airlines offering me substantial status bump, and various very appealing incentives to switch my business to them. Coincidence? I don't know! Timely? Absolutely.

I am going to take them up on it and see how the grass is on the other side.

Very sad. 14 years as 1k almost 2mmer gone like that.

Lurker
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by noah
FWIW, and I know its not worth much, I tweeted about this today and got a sweet auto reply from @united: We are looking into this, thank you. ^LS

I generally agree with much of what has been said here. This is not a customer friendly move. Its pretty easy to see why they're doing it -- it removes our ability to see their actual (nonexistent) elite award inventory, and it prevents us from grabbing UG space that would otherwise be sold or go to those who don't jump the queue. This leaves revenue on the table.

I do think that we're massively overestimating the impact on the United flyer community though. This impacts a very small percentage of flyers. I can't tell you how many 1K and even GS flyers I know who have no idea how to use their GPU and Miles to UG beyond calling in and getting wait listed -- if that. Most people won't notice this.
@Noah, it may be so in the short term. However I do think that bad publicity from a small group of vocal customers does make a difference. The best example I can give you is from technology sector - see what continuous, bad publicity from a very small but highly critical vocal group of tech bloggers has done to Microsoft? The point is, no company is infallible - do customer-unfriendly things often enough and for long enough, it will come to bite them in the a**. And Microsoft was "the" dominant personal computing company at that time (which is definitely not something I can say about UA at this point)..
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
One point about KVS...while KVS should still have access to UA award inventory, I don't think there is access to R inventory nor is there a way to set alerts a la EF. Also, note that I find AVAILABILITY searches on KVS for UA flights to be inaccurate/incomplete, so I suggest testing thoroughly before running headlong into a KVS subscription.
No doubt Mr KVS will reply directly, but my KVStool most certainly does show R buckets on UA, and I find all the bucket values to be 99% accurate. On occasions when it's wrong, so is the website (not surprising, as the data source is presumably the same).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:47 am

Ugh. My EF account just got renewed this month too.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
somewhat side question, can someone explain the difference between R and RN? i just realized i don't actually know.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
somewhat side question, can someone explain the difference between R and RN? i just realized i don't actually know.
R is the upgrade space (using miles, cop-pay etc.) for everyone. RN is supposed to be the upgrade space specifically for elites (using miles, RPU, GPU etc.) , and should have a better availability than R. However I personally haven't seen RN>R (though maybe others have).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
to each their own. everyone's got things they're willing to tolerate and things they won't. switching to half cashews, streaming-IFE and the myriad of other things are all things that don't personally bother me. redemption opens and GPU's are sacred to me though. the W requirement irked me seriously, but i still clear regularly at booking so it hasn't chased me away yet. taking away expert mode, while not confirmed, isn't inconceivable. there's just three things for me i need to know. is there space available to upgrade at booking, how many seats are there and is there any way for me to check on a daily basis if inventory has opened up. expert mode does that for me. if they get rid of that, that puts us all in the W lottery but completely blind. that's a game i won't play because it could potentially cost me thousands of dollars.

but again, it's all what's important to you. seriously screwing with the GPU process is something that would actually drive me away. it just hasn't happened yet so i never found a compelling reason to leave. looks like one might be coming in 2014 though.
First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
The cynics (and I suspect they are right) would say that the answer to your question is "nothing"!

lurker
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
I personally haven't seen RN>R (though maybe others have).
No one has ever reported a verifiable case of RN>R.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Why does ExpertFlyer pull its data from United rather than from ANA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.