Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
By the way, you're surely aware of the fact that UA has no spend requirement, offers 8 SWU instead of 6, and even allows EXP flyers to use the equivalent of First Class Lounges on international travel, even when flying economy.
Might wanna change that to AA!

Originally Posted by sfonorth
Did DL do the same with EF? Hopefully, this won't result in the removal of the ability to search for R inventory in the expert mode. Maybe UA is coming out with an enhancement of their upgrade search process but I'm not optimistic.
Originally Posted by exerda
Note that Expert Flyer didn't limit it to R and RN--they're also including IN and XN inventory in what they say UA is blocking ("elite awards").
That makes even less sense!
Can't even imagine how that will tie up the already busy reservation desks.
Another cost saving move ...

IIRC, they pulled "expert mode" entirely at the time and broke EF. It was only after significant outcry that UA developed and presented the option of bringing back "expert mode," behind the login or otherwise.
Correct!
And I doubt, they will fumble this one again.
Unless, DL does not show it either

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Problem is, I might well buy that coach ticket on another airline if I had not known at least one leg was R. I can think of two international trips in the last year where that was true.
With the echo of the Q3 result call still in my ears:
another strategic move to gain back the HVF ....
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
Maybe tomorrow or Friday UA announces much better award/upgrade search capability on their website - or that they've fixed the upgrade waitlist.
If they are going to monkey with, sorry, *fix*the upgrade system, please wait until after my return TPAC flights next week. Unless of course the "fixing" makes the 3 waiting to clear, actually clear.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm all for fixing the R-queue-jumping at T-24 problem, but this is a lame non-solution. Even if they remove R from expert mode one could still presumably do an award UG search, or, based on my experience, just assume that if there is premium cabin availability w/in 24 hrs that it has been dumped in R. The real fix would require stopping the release of R at T-24 and/or consistent behavior by the phone agents in declining to force these or apply new instruments w/in 24 hrs.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is KVS an alternative to show R, IN, XN?
On certain carriers I believe they at least can display "yes" or "no", without showing the actual numbers (e.g. R5, IN2, XN9 etc.(
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Opps, It looks like I picked the wrong month and year to get my expertflyer subscription.

Does this change really mean that UAL is going to get rid of R availability even in Expertmode? I have only trip in the next year that I really care about R availability but if that one vacation causes me to sit in the back of the bus with all my flying this year, I will be deeply disappointed.
Maybe call up EF and cancel? It is a substantial change of service one could contest, and IF (pure speculation) UA and EF are fighting over a new agreement, it makes the stakes clearer to EF.

People sure take this personally. Its just business. We are all chasing the desire to sit in FC without paying full nut, and the airlines are trying to sell a balance of full nuts and half-nuts for miles/cash/GPUS mix.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'm still not convinced taking the info off of EF will increase UA's revenue. For example, in my case I sometimes buy business class rather than use miles - either at booking or later with a cash upgrade. I do this usually on international flights when it is roughly no more than 2-3 times economy. One of the things I set R class alerts for is that, if I check the cash upgrade cost at the same time, I would often find that it to have dropped around the same time. I might then buy with cash then rather use miles if the price was right (saving miles for future trips, usually). And I'm not talking about TODs - I am willing to pay $2k on top of a $1k economy ticket, just not $6k.

Maybe I will be able to check every day and still do that at the UA website. But when busy or traveling, that is not likely to happen. They might wind up giving it to an elite for free instead. Not bad for the elite, but does it maximize revenue?

So that leaves me making a decision on what international carrier and flight to take based on upgrade likelihood or outright business cost at the time of booking. The quality of a lot of other international carriers being better, the more I have to discount the prospect of getting upgraded, where the cost is equal and there are no other reasons to favor UA, the more UA is not going to be the one selected.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I set my EF to do not renew. Was set to renew in a couple days. I will wait to see how this plays out. I wonder how long until fare information is pulled.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Besides yet another anti-customer copycat move off Delta from UA (they can't think of *anything* on their own??), EF is silent in this thread after claiming they can't comment on the Delta thread.

My assumption is they are OK losing a substantial number of subscribers and downsizing their business vs escalating this or at least coming clean to the user community about what is really going on with these carriers and their options or lack thereof to counter.

So, EF - here is your chance - time to come clean and let everyone know what's going on here, or don't be surprised when you see a substantial loss of revenue - do you want to fight for it or not??
I think that's unfair. My only grip with EF is that they didn't include me in the circulation list for this. But my reading between the lines in the communication quoted in this thread is that they are getting shafted by UA, but that they want to try to the channels open, in case UA gives in - for example, based on massive customer protest. I'm sure that, privately, they think exactly the same about UA as we do, but I understand perfectly why they don't want to say it on the record.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I'm still not convinced taking the info off of EF will increase UA's revenue.
I'm not convinced that it will increase UA's revenue either, but it's increasingly clear that Smisek's UA is flailing in a desperate attempt to increase revenues somehow after bleeding revenue to DL, US and AA since early 2012. The 3rd quarter results, while profitable, did not reveal that UA was regaining any of the lost ground.

In theory, if it's more difficult to find the upgrade inventory before you purchase, that lack of transparency might convince a few customers to buy the premium seat in the first place. I'm skeptical that will make any appreciable difference to UA's revenue picture.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Terrible, customer-unfriendly move by United.

Aaron--why? why? why?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the writing is on the wall, R will be gone from Expert Mode very soon. wouldn't be surprised to see some change like YBM purchase means instant-UP with certificate internationally, W and above means instant waitlist, W requirement for RPUs domestically, just use your imagination as to how poorly this could play out when the dust settles.

cash is king and UA has made that abundantly clear one step at a time. the certs by this time next year will not be worth the paper they are not printed on.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have maintained there's a link between TOD (or HOD/UFC whatever) offers and R availability. Thus preventing customers grabbing this inventory the moment they become available should in theory increase revenue?
Suppose it is the reason. Then fix the system rather than cut off information. Heck, they could use the apparently unused RN fare class for TODs, with RN>R most of the time.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eflyte
I'm all for fixing the R-queue-jumping at T-24 problem, but this is a lame non-solution. Even if they remove R from expert mode one could still presumably do an award UG search, or, based on my experience, just assume that if there is premium cabin availability w/in 24 hrs that it has been dumped in R. The real fix would require stopping the release of R at T-24 and/or consistent behavior by the phone agents in declining to force these or apply new instruments w/in 24 hrs.
The true "fix" would be to make the waitlist clear dynamically, as soon as inventory management opens R space. Unless and until this is done, it will remain possible (and frankly, advisable) to jump the queue.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by littlejimmy112
Just got this e-mail as well and extremely disappointed. UA - who I sincerely hope is reading this! - should understand that my alternative to EF will be to simply call the 1K desk and spend an hour waiting while the agent performs the exact search for me.

I regularly plan my trips around R availability on international flights, up to and including purchasing higher fare classes or more expensive dates. Seems like this is a change that's just going to cost both UA and us more time and effort to achieve the same result in the end.
I just fired off emails to 3 different sites at United, including 1K Voice. Now I'm going to get on the phone to call about upgrade space for next week

This is NOT "Friendly"
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I beg to differ, but whatever.

Here's an e-mail I got from 1K Voice nearly 2 weeks after they took down expert mode:

UA belatedly claimed that they had the "intention" to replace it with some undefined "enhancement." Outcry from customers persuaded them to return a "comparable" feature.
Did we ever see this enhanced resource? Or, as I am afraid, was it just spin after the fact.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.