Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
If I'm reading this right, this means that DEN-IAD-FCO, FCO-ZRH-NBO, NBO-ZRH-IAD-DEN would be allowed? What are we looking at for miles required?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by kan148
If I would like to go to USA-South Asia via Europe in F, it'll be 160k instead of 145k?

Also, I don't know what the MPM is but is it possible to go from IAD-FRA-NRT (stopover)-BKK (destination)-FRA-IAD? How many miles will it cost? Thanks. I would like to get an award ticket for end of this year but not sure I should use multiple oneways or round trip with stopover.
Yes you would pay the higher Europe to South Asia rates. On top of that, NRT (Japan) is a different region from BKK (South Asia) and Europe-South Asia has a "Higher Award" for travelling through a third region so to Thailand through Japan you're looking at 170k in First.

MPM-wise IAD-FRA-NRT-BKK falls in the 10M range.

Originally Posted by BurBunny
If I'm reading this right, this means that DEN-IAD-FCO, FCO-ZRH-NBO, NBO-ZRH-IAD-DEN would be allowed? What are we looking at for miles required?
Okay, I like to help but I can't keep answering each individual routing/mileage question here. I would like to answer more general questions but I can't spend my life being the personal res agent for everybody. Please just call reservations with your questions and if you feel the agent doesn't know what's going on have them check the relevant profiles.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2011 at 3:03 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BurBunny
Your routing has always been allowed!

Thanks for posting this info IslandSkies!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2011 at 3:03 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Should be okay as long as you're in the 15M band. Only thing is if it's a higher award region you pay higher miles. Example: Europe-Japan is 80k. But for Europe-Japan there is a published higher award for going through a third region set at 90k, so that is what you pay if going Europe-USA-Japan instead of going straight across. Not all region pairs (like USA-Japan) have these, so for those you just use the miles for the highest region pair on the routing. For example USA-Japan is 65k in economy. If you go USA via Europe to Japan you pay 80k.
IslandSkies, thanks for posting this. ^ Much appreciated. Wouldn't USA via Europe to Japan be 90K instead of 80K (in Economy) ? Or would whether having a stopover in Europe or not make a difference ?

Anyways, I have been booking North America to Asia via Europe awards couple times, and I have to say most agents and supervisors are not aware of this possibility and say two awards are required
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:14 pm

This is great news! However, I hope they won't redemption rates because of this.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, IslandSkies.^:-:
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:42 pm

EH (Eastern Hemisphere direction) MPM SYD to/from HKG is 5514. SYD-BKK-HKG is 5728 CUM = 5M level which is permitted. SYD-ICN-HKG is 6479 CUM = 20M level, max is 15M so you can't do it on one award.
thanks IslandSkies! this has been such a useful post and i am sure many others agree. i went ahead and booked my award tickets as soon as i got your reply.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Okay, I like to help but I can't keep answering each individual routing/mileage question here. I would like to answer more general questions but I can't spend my life being the personal res agent for everybody. Please just call reservations with your questions and if you feel the agent doesn't know what's going on have them check the relevant profiles.
Originally Posted by UAFlyer
IslandSkies, thanks for posting this. ^ Much appreciated. Wouldn't USA via Europe to Japan be 90K instead of 80K (in Economy) ? Or would whether having a stopover in Europe or not make a difference ?

Anyways, I have been booking North America to Asia via Europe awards couple times, and I have to say most agents and supervisors are not aware of this possibility and say two awards are required
Please see above comments from IslandSkies.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:57 am

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
So do these new rules supersede the old validation rules?

IslandSkies, I recall you posted a little while back the overwater carrier's routing rules came into play in certain scenarios...is this not the case anymore?

Required only when CUM exceeds MPM

Display governing carrier's tariff from Origin to Destination for each direction of travel where CUM exceeds MPM.

If cities in direction of travel follow governing carrier's legal routing for any routing fare, direction of travel is valid for one award even though CUM exceeds MPM.

Both directions must be validated using Step 1 (or Step 2 if CUM exceeds MPM) for itinerary to qualify for one award.

Step 2 Exception

If governing carrier does not publish a routing fare, CUM can exceed MPM up to 10 percent (10M) for one award.
Are *A Awards now purely 15M - MPM travel awards with no routing restrictions (fare/carrier based ones)?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: UA-1K/Life UC, AA-EXP, AF-Plat
Thanks IslandSkies.
Looks like UA is considering online booking for star itin.
Simpler OJ rule and 15M but no exemption rule makes routing validation automatic.

For example USA-Japan is 65k in economy. If you go USA via Europe to Japan you pay 80k.
Could you tell me where can I find this rule?

My understand from MPI/STAR AWARD RULES and MPI/STAR AWARD ROUTING is 80k applies if
1. Making stopover in Europe, Middle East or anywhere between
AND
2. TPM Total exceeds MPM (5M, 10M, 15M)

There is MPM via AT published US-Japan so itin via Europe is normally 0M.

For example,
NYC-PAR-TYO via AT is 0M
65k applies whether making stopover in PAR or not.

WAS-ACC-FRA-TYO via AT is 15M
65k applies if no stopover en route.
If making stopover en route, highest check needed (like HIP).
US-N.Africa 75k
US-EU 55k
US-JP 65k
N.Africa-EU 40k
N.Africa-JP 80k
EU-JP 80k
So highest of 80k will apply.
(for business award, EU-JP 120k is the highest)

Circle pacific routings not permitted for US-JP, however (as indicated specifically).

Originally Posted by caffeine addict
Are *A Awards now purely 15M - MPM travel awards with no routing restrictions (fare/carrier based ones)?
Old routing rules are completely overridden.
No validation with routing fare. Now 15M rule only and no other method.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:52 am

Sounds a good new for redemption! Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:18 pm

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
IslandSkies - for clarification, why is it that a US-Asia award routing through Europe now costs the higher Europe-Asia price? As long as the routing doesn't exceed 0M, shouldn't it still be the lower US-Asia price, since there's no "higher mileage" option specified for US-Asia routings? I'm sure you said it for a reason, but I'm just confused because I didn't see anything in the new rules that would say that it has to take the highest cost of any two regions involved in the routing.

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA GM (ex 1K-lite), Priority Club Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, DL GM
Wow -- this should help with an award trip I'm planning next year! (And thanks IslandSkies for another useful post!)

What triggered the change? (*A vs. UACO?)
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Thanks Islandskies.

Great news^
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The new award rules are posted on United.com: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,1141,00.html

Not as much detail as IslandSkies provided, but they do reflect the new rules. They are easier to understand than they used to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.