Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard it might be the case now - a true enhancement!
Yes, this is now possible, as of October 29.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
will be a great day when we can do this on .bomb.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by aau
I want to do the same thing. Is it possible to split a RT into two one ways?
Did just that. Had a DEN-SFO-NRT-BKK / SIN-NRT-SEA-DEN booked back in August for travel next February. Back then I wanted to return to DEN on LH+UA via FRA-IAD/ORD (LH departs SIN at the end of the day whereas UA leaves early morning), but that would have made it a RTW (far more expensive award). Today I called and the 1K agent changed the ticket to a OW DEN-BKK, refunding half the miles, and then booked a new OW SIN-DEN on LH with the refunded miles.

I'm guessing that if I weren't 1K I might have been subjected to fees for redeposit and two phone res.

And again it appears that *net blocking of LH FRA-DEN is gone. ^
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Yes, this is now possible, as of October 29.
One way awards, yes. However, I had multiple agents tell me it was impossible to cancel half of a R/T to convert into a O/W and get 1/2 the miles back. Guess YMMV.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I had multiple agents tell me it was impossible to cancel half of a R/T to convert into a O/W and get 1/2 the miles back.
If they allowed it, you could get a stopover on a one-way award.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, BW Diamond, HG Platinum
One way awards, yes. However, I had multiple agents tell me it was impossible to cancel half of a R/T to convert into a O/W and get 1/2 the miles back. Guess YMMV.
I can personally confirm that this is possible. I had a R/T with the return including an LH A380 flight, something I didn't want to lose. The first agent I talked to said the change was not possible. The second agent didn't think that it could be done, but he was willing to contact ticketing and then contact Mileage Plus to make the changes. I kept my same reservation number and everything seems to be all set. It likely helped that my destination region did not change and I had no stopovers scheduled.

After all of the above, the agent himself admitted he had learned something today. This kind of change is possible but apparently hasn't been communicated to the agents. Try to suggest another agent said this was possible by contacting ticketing to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by eeee; Nov 18, 2010 at 5:25 pm Reason: Update on agent's disbelief
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by eeee
I can personally confirm that this is possible. I had a R/T with the return including an LH A380 flight, something I didn't want to lose. The first agent I talked to said the change was not possible. The second agent didn't think that it could be done, but he was willing to contact ticketing and then contact Mileage Plus to make the changes. I kept my same reservation number and everything seems to be all set. It likely helped that my destination region did not change and I had no stopovers scheduled.

After all of the above, the agent himself admitted he had learned something today. This kind of change is possible but apparently hasn't been communicated to the agents. Try to suggest another agent said this was possible by contacting ticketing to get the ball rolling.
So you got half your miles back?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jan_az
Is it possible to change the retunr on a journey that has already started?
I inquired recently and was told yes, but routing must remain the same.

A nice twist to this is, if booked in a lower cabin than paid for on the inbound, you can now get that C or F seat should it open after taking the outbound.

Very good when dealing with those airlines won't release a seat until 7 or 2 days before departure.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I called the 1K desk a few days ago trying to book a one-way award ticket on a Continental flight using United miles and was told this is impossible. Misinformed agent?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I called the 1K desk a few days ago trying to book a one-way award ticket on a Continental flight using United miles and was told this is impossible. Misinformed agent?
Call back
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, BW Diamond, HG Platinum
Originally Posted by jan_az
So you got half your miles back?
Yes, after ticketing was able to make the change, the agent contactedMileage Plus to address this very issue. My account showed a 135000 refund on the date of original issue and a 67500 cost on the day I switched to o/w. I was expecting more in taxes and fee refunds than I seem to have got, but I haven't looked into that further
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I inquired recently and was told yes, but routing must remain the same.

A nice twist to this is, if booked in a lower cabin than paid for on the inbound, you can now get that C or F seat should it open after taking the outbound.

Very good when dealing with those airlines won't release a seat until 7 or 2 days before departure.
so does this mean that if by some awful mishap i miss the flight home on a star award, i can take the next available flight on that carrier? eg TG
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:55 pm

Just redeemed 3 one-way Star Alliance Awards last week for travel next month in business to Asia! This is great! It allows me much more flexibility in award planning. Flying on ANA, SQ, and TG.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:32 pm

I just called to see if I could redopsit the second half of an award on which the first half had already been flown. The answer was no. I could change it but not redeposit it.

If anyone has had success redepositing on a trip that has already started I would appreciate knowing who you spoke with.

Jan
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I got NRT-BKK-NRT (NY seats) way back in June. That time there was no one-way Star Alliance award option available yet, so I booked a RT.

Now I want to keep NRT-BKK (UA) and then change the return to BKK-KIX (TG).
I called 1K desk (got a Chicago agent), and he told me he couldn't split the RT award to two one-ways without losing my seat. He said he had to cancel first, then make two new one-ways. Since there is no NRT-BKK (NY) seat available anymore he couldn't do anything...
I asked him if he can ask his supervisor, and he did.
He came back, and told me that they let me keep the NRT-BKK (NY) seat even they cancelled my original reservation and it wasn't available anymore after the cancellation, and also found a BKK-KIX (TG) flight for me
I spend total 30,000 miles instead of 40,000 miles, sweet^

I checked BKK-NRT (NY) I cancelled on the date, but it didn't go back to NY bucket, just FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.