Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 4:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dugu
Hi I''ll take my first polaris business flight ORD-BRU in a couple of weeks. It seems that I can waitlist for Polaris First for 20,000 miles each way. Is Polaris First much nicer than business? Is it worth the miles?
Just to clarify, this will be the existing pmUA lie-flat seats in business and first class. The FC lie flat a individual seats (suite) which are wider / longer than the business class seat including the new "polaris" style. It is a very nice seat and there are a few preqs for Polaris F -- the GFL lounge and slight nicer meal service.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Hi I''ll take my first polaris business flight ORD-BRU in a couple of weeks. It seems that I can waitlist for Polaris First for 20,000 miles each way. Is Polaris First much nicer than business? Is it worth the miles?
Worth the miles if the most important thing to you is seat size and comfort (although I'm in a minority here in that I like the pmUA lie flat biz seats and not the ones on the 787s).

Not worth it for service or food, both of which are essentially the same as in Biz and streets behind many other airlines.

For me, not worth it.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Worth the miles if the most important thing to you is seat size and comfort (although I'm in a minority here in that I like the pmUA lie flat biz seats and not the ones on the 787s).

Not worth it for service or food, both of which are essentially the same as in Biz and streets behind many other airlines.

For me, not worth it.
Agree, it is not worth it using the miles, but if you have GPUs to burn before expiration, yes.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my last five Polaris flights, all international except for one SFO-EWR, I haven't gotten my first meal choice on four of those times. I am at the 75k level (sorry, forgot what that is called). Are there really so many more 1K's and GS's in 2017 than before? I doubt it, but maybe someone here knows better. My suspicion is that FA's are getting lazy about checking the status list.

I see comments in this thread about great service on Polaris. I haven't gotten that recently, just traditional United average service, with one or two of the flights being worse than average.

Incidentally, that SFO-EWR flight was with the new seating. Yes, they used a 777 instead of a 757 on the flight. I'd say the new seating was a bit better than the old seating but not orders of magnitude better. When used for PS, the meal service is cut back from international levels.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
On my last five Polaris flights, all international except for one SFO-EWR, I haven't gotten my first meal choice on four of those times. I am at the 75k level (sorry, forgot what that is called). Are there really so many more 1K's and GS's in 2017 than before? I doubt it, but maybe someone here knows better. My suspicion is that FA's are getting lazy about checking the status list.
There is no priority meal choice benefit for non-1K/GS status holders. As a Platinum, you would be at the same priority level as someone without status.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I did 1L on March and thought that was ok. Felt maybe 1A was best. Now looking down the line for next best seats. Like extra room in foot well. Thoughts on 9A? Do you hear noise from lav flush and content moving down the plane? Thank you.
9A is a great seat. More room in footwell. Not much noise.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

I see comments in this thread about great service on Polaris. I haven't gotten that recently, just traditional United average service, with one or two of the flights being worse than average.

Incidentally, that SFO-EWR flight was with the new seating. Yes, they used a 777 instead of a 757 on the flight. I'd say the new seating was a bit better than the old seating but not orders of magnitude better. When used for PS, the meal service is cut back from international levels.
SFO-EWR is p.s. service not Polaris, they are using the plane with the Polaris seats but it is p.s. service
Old May 9, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
There is no priority meal choice benefit for non-1K/GS status holders. As a Platinum, you would be at the same priority level as someone without status.
Add being Japanese in getting a JPN meal over a GS/1K.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If it gets you out of sardine-can 8-across Business yes. Do it.
Originally Posted by findark
+1. A great use of 20k miles with no copay if you're on a high fare and don't have GPUs. Note this is because of 8-across 772 J, not because UA GF is anything to write home about (the seat is fantastic though).
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to clarify, this will be the existing pmUA lie-flat seats in business and first class. The FC lie flat a individual seats (suite) which are wider / longer than the business class seat including the new "polaris" style. It is a very nice seat and there are a few preqs for Polaris F -- the GFL lounge and slight nicer meal service.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

For me, not worth it.
Thanks everyone for pitching in. It is an expensive D fare so no co-pay is needed. On the other hand, I am rather petite, so the width and length of "normal" business class seats should be fine with me. I was hoping for better food or service in Polaris F. I think I'll try PolarisFirst on the outbound and decide on the return trip later.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thanks everyone for pitching in. It is an expensive D fare so no co-pay is needed. On the other hand, I am rather petite, so the width and length of "normal" business class seats should be fine with me. I was hoping for better food or service in Polaris F. I think I'll try PolarisFirst on the outbound and decide on the return trip later.
You'll get some soup in F and slightly more attentive service being in a smaller cabin.
I would say it's worth it on ORD-BRU if you want some easier sleep without someone moving around you. Daylight flight on the way back not so much.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:34 pm
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Getting PJs on ewr tlv line

Im scheduled to fly on uniteds new polaris 777-300er on the EWR-TLV line.
i was wondering if anyone has had experience i getting the PJs on that line.

by the letter - the flights do not qualify, aas one is 10:35 and the other 12:05 , however, since this is united polaris newsetup they might give them away regardless (im hopeing)

can any shed light on this question?

thanks
Old May 15, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by motty
Im scheduled to fly on uniteds new polaris 777-300er on the EWR-TLV line.
i was wondering if anyone has had experience i getting the PJs on that line.

by the letter - the flights do not qualify, aas one is 10:35 and the other 12:05 , however, since this is united polaris newsetup they might give them away regardless (im hopeing)

can any shed light on this question?
The wiki and UA themselves confirm EWR<>TLV doesn't offer pajamas.

Old May 17, 2017, 9:13 pm

Polaris F 747...

Flying UA F saver award ORD-SFO-ICN-BKK. Got seat 1A on the TPAC 747 leg. First time in any type of UA premium cabin as I've stuck with AA for years. Used bought miles to take this ride out of nostalgia as UA F and 747 going away. Any inputs on what to expect from UA Polaris F? Thank you in advance.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by loopflyer
Flying UA F saver award ORD-SFO-ICN-BKK. Got seat 1A on the TPAC 747 leg. First time in any type of UA premium cabin as I've stuck with AA for years. Used bought miles to take this ride out of nostalgia as UA F and 747 going away. Any inputs on what to expect from UA Polaris F? Thank you in advance.
It really isn't any different than what you already read here about Polaris Business. Other than the global first seat, you might get a slightly better food/wine menu along with more attentive service, but that's about it.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Be sure to ask for the blue memory cooling pillow and mattress pad. You get soup, which business doesn't get.

But what you're really getting is seat friggen' 1A. Lucky man

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.