Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by dldkjones
I read on loungereview.com that the global first lounge at SFO is scheduled to close for remodel this month (November 2016)...
Hmm. Not sure about that. I was just there a few days ago and it looks like they already remodeled it quite a bit. The quiet lounge chaises are gone - replaced with new chairs. The area that used to have desks has been completely redone with new seating. There's a new warm food bar. It's pretty much a normal UC now + self-service drinks and some sushi.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Shh, don't tell, but the SFO international terminal has a great little tiny landside pay-to-use shower facility (and supposedly also nap areas, but I've never tried it).

It once made sense for me to use this facility and it was fine. http://www.flysfo.com/content/freshen
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee
"Virtually: Practically, almost, nearly all."

Then I take it you do not fly ex-SFO very often. All UA's Asia flights with GF currently depart prior to 1:30 p.m. (In fact, the only Asia flight that currently departs after 1:30 is the second PVG flight, on a 789.)
Your parenthetical is incorrect. SFO-SIN departs late in the day, 10:30pm, but no GF there either.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Shh, don't tell, but the SFO international terminal has a great little tiny landside pay-to-use shower facility (and supposedly also nap areas, but I've never tried it).

It once made sense for me to use this facility and it was fine. http://www.flysfo.com/content/freshen
I second this. I use it all the time. It is road-side near the G gate security area.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:21 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Wow, they should advertise a bit more boldly that they have nap rooms and showers in there. I don't think I would ever think that by seeing that photo or walking by.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Do we have a legit UA source for this timeline? I'm a little surprised that the GFL would be closing this soon given that its going to be the Intl UA Club that becomes the [overcrowded] Polaris Lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Do we have a legit UA source for this timeline? I'm a little surprised that the GFL would be closing this soon given that its going to be the Intl UA Club that becomes the [overcrowded] Polaris Lounge.
Well seeing as Global First won't be a thing anymore on December 1st, it does make a lot of sense.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Well seeing as Global First won't be a thing anymore on December 1st, it does make a lot of sense.
It will be renamed "Polaris First" while three-cabin airplanes remain. All of the 747s will be based at SFO by 2017, so at least through 2018 when the fleet is fully retired, three-cabin service will be available to/from SFO.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:02 am

Is there a date when the lounge will close? I still haven't been there and would really like to see it before the GFL is no longer a thing.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Is there a date when the lounge will close? I still haven't been there and would really like to see it before the GFL is no longer a thing.
I'm hoping to use it next Sunday, Nov. 20, so I am also interested if it will still be open then!

JK-SFO
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dldkjones
What options will there be after this closure to shower before a TPAC departure?
SQ, presuming you're in BF/GF, and presuming the timing is right.

Or, as has already been mentioned, Freshen Up!, although that has apparently increased in price now to $25 (from $15)
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
I forget, does the arrival lounge permit PS passengers in BF?
I'm not sure, but the way the website states access requirements, it would imply a yes since PS flights are marketed with a BusinessFirst cabin.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:08 pm

I am in the SFO GF lounge now. It's definitely open. Food selection has changed but not to the better. All the supposedly hot food in the skillets doesn't even have room temperature. The health department would have a field day. And still no sparkling water.
Deserts are now standard UC. No more nice stuff.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I'm not sure, but the way the website states access requirements, it would imply a yes since PS flights are marketed with a BusinessFirst cabin.
I don't think the p.s. flights will qualify: "Our brand-new United Polaris lounges will be available exclusively to our international premium cabin travelers".
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't think the p.s. flights will qualify: "Our brand-new United Polaris lounges will be available exclusively to our international premium cabin travelers".
But the SFO arrivals lounge is not a Polaris lounge?

Originally Posted by United Airlines
Our Arrivals Lounge in San Francisco, located in Terminal 3 on the baggage level, is a retreat where United Global First, United Polaris first class, United BusinessFirst and United Polaris business class customers arriving by noon on a same-day ticket may freshen up with a shower. Guests can enjoy a breakfast and use complimentary Wi-Fi.
Although if p.s. flights are marketed as "Business" class flights after the launch of Polaris, maybe there will be no access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.