Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Thanks for the link - can you imagine - this poor guy lost 9 months of his life - stuck in a foreign country - all because UA crew didn't think he was acting properly...
Almost as sad, (sorry I didn't grab a link with the original incident report), but because of the diversion the rest of the passengers got stuck for 20+ hours at Belfast airport, and UA didn't arrange hotel rooms or anything for the passengers.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:48 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
On UA, the purser (sUA)/ISM (sCO) position is more of an administrative position, and not a supervisor of other FAs other than directing timing of service. So a complaint to the said FA would have not resulted in any difference in attitude adjustment, for the most part. Although, most of the time the surly FA is probably also surly toward his/her colleagues as well, so you might get some sympathetic nods.

Best way to provide feedback is send a note to customer service, via snail mail or online, provide the description of the FA (business cabin, second aisle, gender, etc.) and the service issue in a succinct manner.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes the problem (horrific, nasty, rude, etc.) FA *is* the purser.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It sucks that we feel "threatened" to report things in flight given the prevelant "the FA is always right" crew/captain siding mentality. Personally I would wait until the flight is 3/4 over and talk with the purser. Writing in can only do so much/get lost in the shuffle.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It sucks that we feel "threatened" to report things in flight given the prevelant "the FA is always right" crew/captain siding mentality. Personally I would wait until the flight is 3/4 over and talk with the purser. Writing in can only do so much/get lost in the shuffle.
Yes I agree - and as others on this board know from flying together - or just from this board lol - I'm not exactly bashful with expressing my opinion.... But the power differential in this environment is truly scary - enough so that it's worth it to me to just not engage any more.

Things changed for me last year when I was sitting on the plane at the gate in ORD (heading to NRT) complaining profusely to the FA (I admittedly was not happy as I would be missing my connection to SIN) and the then purser about the then 4 hour delay we were taking and that it was ridiculous (it was the usual winter delay excuse - plane sat all night outside, no one plugged it in, water lines may be frozen, toilet our of order, printer not working, gremlins in the flux-capacitor, blah blah routine) - finally the purser basically says would you like me to get the captain to have a word with you - it was right then that a light bulb went on in my head and I knew what was going to happen - so I just shut up and have ever since...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:16 am
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
The last time I had a REALLY crappy FA in front, it was obvious that she didn't think I "belonged" there. I'm in my mid-40s but read younger, and have a funky sartorial style and couple of tasteful tattoos - I work in a creative field where this isn't out of the ordinary. She was delightful to every older male, and an utter dragon to me.

About 20 minutes into the flight, as she dourly deposited a drink on my tray, I asked her point blank, "have I done something to offend or upset you? If not, I'm terribly sorry you're having a bad day. Please let me know if I can help in any way."

I walked off that flight with a bottle of wine.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
The last time I had a REALLY crappy FA in front, it was obvious that she didn't think I "belonged" there. I'm in my mid-40s but read younger, and have a funky sartorial style and couple of tasteful tattoos - I work in a creative field where this isn't out of the ordinary. She was delightful to every older male, and an utter dragon to me.

About 20 minutes into the flight, as she dourly deposited a drink on my tray, I asked her point blank, "have I done something to offend or upset you? If not, I'm terribly sorry you're having a bad day. Please let me know if I can help in any way."

Sounds like the time someone walked by me and rolled their eyes saying ".com millionaire"...but it was a pax lol.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by wrp96
The incident itself occured in June 2015. It wasn't until April that he was found not guilty and able to return to the states.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ot-guilty.html
Thanks for the link - can you imagine - this poor guy lost 9 months of his life - stuck in a foreign country - all because UA crew didn't think he was acting properly...
Yes, thanks for the link. I do recall seeing something about it, but didn't realize he was stuck for so long.

How to address sub-par service while on the plane is certainly a judgement call. I mentioned it in another thread, but it is really time for United to exercise more consistent oversight of the entire operation.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes I agree - and as others on this board know from flying together - or just from this board lol - I'm not exactly bashful with expressing my opinion.... But the power differential in this environment is truly scary - enough so that it's worth it to me to just not engage any more.

Things changed for me last year when I was sitting on the plane at the gate in ORD (heading to NRT) complaining profusely to the FA (I admittedly was not happy as I would be missing my connection to SIN) and the then purser about the then 4 hour delay we were taking and that it was ridiculous (it was the usual winter delay excuse - plane sat all night outside, no one plugged it in, water lines may be frozen, toilet our of order, printer not working, gremlins in the flux-capacitor, blah blah routine) - finally the purser basically says would you like me to get the captain to have a word with you - it was right then that a light bulb went on in my head and I knew what was going to happen - so I just shut up and have ever since...
I had a similar power crazy FA threatening me because she decided that when she was giving me the exit row speech and I was smiling, that I was not taking it seriously, didn't like the way I responded, and threatened to remove me. The unknown to me people next to me just looked on dumbfounded. Off she went to the front of the bus and I thought "oh-oh, I might be in a spot of bother here", so I asked the people next to me if they would be willing to tell the truth about what they had witnessed just in case (they said yes with no hesitation). A few minutes later I saw one of the Gate Agent Manager people (I don't know what they are called) walking and looking at the seat numbers as she came towards me. What was interesting was her attitude when she saw me (I have seen and spoken to her many a time at SFO) and it was one of shock. She said "well what have you been doing?"....so I told her the story that I have no idea where the FA was coming from and did she need witnesses. "No" she said "I know the person and I think I know what happened" and off she went. Very odd, but I stayed on the flight. And of course being at the exit row I had the FA from hell sitting right opposite me, and as Vicky Pollard might say on Little Britain, "giving me evils". And I refused all food and drink unless it was unopened.

The Daily Mail story does not surprise me in the least.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975

I don't have tattoos but I had some similar experiences with an extremely elderly purser on NW/DL who thought he should decide who should be allowed to sit in business class. I ha several unpleasant encounters with the guy and it got to the point where I would be tense before TATL/TPAC flights to/from MSP until I could verify that he wasn't working my flight--then I would breathe a sigh of relief. He was always extremely nice to the older men (and their wives) fitting his stereotypes and gave them good service.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've had this happen a few times. After we got the gate and started offloading, I made a point to stop on the way out and have a quick conversation with the purser and, if available, the captain.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Fortunately, stories like this are less common these days. UA employees in general seem to be upping the courtesy thanks to new leadership at the top.

Regarding letters to United - I received some valuable information on complaints from a FA friend who was also involved with the flight attendants union. In order to prevent complaints from appearing on the wrong employee's records, the contract requires an actual name or specific identifying information about the employee in order for it to be recorded in their service record. When writing letter of complaint (or a compliment) be sure to include the name of the involved employee or a close as possible physical description which will differentiate them from the other crew members.

Employees like this need to be reported so they can be retrained or moved on to another more suitable job.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
And don't forget the FAA complaint. https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
On pmUA, I was doing a SYD-US MR back in the glory days. I was in coach. Annie (see her own thread) and her protege in the lounge in SYD had blocked the set of 4 seats for in Y so I could have a makeshift bed. Right away, the rogue FA places somebody else in that section with me. I told her those seats were blocked, and she said that she was in charge. She the proceeded to yell every time she interacted with me, telling me that I shouldn't have my seat reclined during the meal service, and that I should know better. It wasn't just me, however. I saw her yelling at and be very demeaning to other passengers. I did not address the service failures during the flight. After landing, however, I wrote a long letter to 1K voice, and was immediately offered a very sincere apology and given 25,000 miles compensation. While we all know sometimes pmUA compensation levels were...generous...I felt every bit of this compensation was justified. It sounds like the OP only got a "I'm sorry" reply with no compensation. Especially being seated in the premium cabin, I feel if not a refund, a large compensation is due the OP given the flight was completely ruined. Unacceptable and this FA needs to be fired.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I was in the first row of C on a 767 from LHR-ORD. The FA came over with a tray of H20, OJ or sparkling wine and offered me a drink. I said, no thanks, I would love a Diet Coke. He immediately said that they don't do that. Really, I asked? Yes. So I can't have that? No, here are your choices.

So I went to the Purser in F and asked for a Diet Coke. He said you can get that in C where you are seated. I said I actually can't and explained what happened. He gave me a cup with ice and a can of Diet Coke.

So I sat back down and with my DC and the FA comes by. My eyes met his and veered down to my DC and I shrugged my shoulders with a "see" expression. He went ballistic. He told me he didn't like my attitude and he was going to the captain. He went up there and was in the cockpit talking to the captain and I was waiting to talk to the captain after he was done. I thought I was going to be toast and kicked off the flight. I was preparing for that.

The Purser asked me what was going on. I told him about the FA and that he was in the cockpit and I was waiting to give my side of the story (provided that the captain would even speak to me). The Purser told me to sit back down, don't worry and that he would take care of everything. I did and after a little bit the Purser came back and gave me a thumbs up. The FA who was working in C and supposed to take care of my side of the cabin was switched to the other side so he wouldn't have to deal with me (nor I with him). He didn't talk to me the whole flight, which was fine with me.

When I arrived at ORD, I went to Terminal 1 and asked the GS manager to find a manager from Onboard Services to talk to me. He did and I told him what happened. He was very interested in what I had to say (and he said that of course I could have a soft drink for pre-departure in C if I wanted).

Don't know what ever happened, but I needed to tell them about this bad apple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.