Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
This will increasing make *A flights at JFK O&D as there will be fewer convenient feeder flights operated by partners. NYC is a big O&D market, but some partners operate nonstop flights to/from some rather exotic destinations that aren't easily served via other routes.
Its no big surprise, when competition moves in, UA moves out. They can't compete with the quality of VX, B6 and DL, and the allure of 3 class low-density 321's that AA is now running. So they run away.

The major *A partners at JFK to Europe were mostly LH group airlines, and of those, LX, and LH both have nonstops out of SFO and LAX so its not like it was a seamless connection out of JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Several FT'ers called the JFK>EWR switch for p.s. in the thread on JFK-IAD cancellation.

I think it's very likely p.s. will be entirely eliminated at some point. Typical UA - death by a thousand cuts.

Also agree with many other FT'ers in this thread - this is a devaluation of *A, as it eliminates the possibility of west coast fliers connecting in JFK to *A carriers who serve JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:55 am

nice for LAX passengers flying long-haul to Europe to get flat beds the whole way - I never even considered UA to Europe because half the travel time would be in domestic F.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jmr50
One of the nice things about the P.S. product was guaranteed decent wifi. The 757 fleet ex-P.S. is a big question mark. Will that Wifi upgrade get completed prior to the closure of JFK, or should business travelers who want Wifi book basically anybody else?
The sCO 752 wifi program will be complete this summer, so yes. As it stands now the product is significantly cheaper than p.s. gogo wifi, but you lose a lot in reliability (though improving, IME).

Originally Posted by RockinPete
For UA, it's more about undermining its biggest competitor at EWR, and for DL, about reducing competition on a key business route. The JFK slots are clearly worth more to DL than UA, and the inverse is true relative to EWR.

Originally Posted by gengar
Also agree with many other FT'ers in this thread - this is a devaluation of *A, as it eliminates the possibility of west coast fliers connecting in JFK to *A carriers who serve JFK.
LH completed an upgrade to its lounge facilities at EWR and at the time, some observed that the A++ might be revising the LH group capacity balance to tip more in favor of EWR. There's certainly less competition there and a lot more in-JV feed.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think this is a huge win for jetBlue... all the *A carriers will partner with them for transcons (as some already have) rather than AA/DL.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Lots
Proof that United can't compete on product. At all.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
They will not be able to sustain hourly PS service as they will lose a ton of West Coast traffic to AA, DL and JetBlue. Then PS will pooof away into the sunset.
Yes this is the likely outcome. Essentially an admission they have been unable to compete with AA/B6/DL into JFK.

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
Agreed. The Van Wyck is no picnic but the Lincoln Tunnel is worse. And NJ Transit via Penn is not always a viable option, especially not the midtown business executives who take a service to the airport. A meaningful percentage of Manhattan business travelers simply will not fly EWR.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What *A partners currently have EWR flights? SAS I know, and SQ used to fly from EWR as well as JFK. I would guess that Copa belongs on the list. Any others? Does AC even fly into EWR?
LH big time. Better connections with earlier arrivals to some EU airports, like EWR-DUS-BUD, which I've done several times.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What *A partners currently have EWR flights? SAS I know, and SQ used to fly from EWR as well as JFK. I would guess that Copa belongs on the list. Any others? Does AC even fly into EWR?
Air Canada, Air India, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss, TAP Portugal
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by red grenadine
Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
Hmmmm... well getting to JFK is no picnic either... I missed my PS flight last time I was there even though I left plenty of time because of heavy traffic..fortunately I made the next flight as it wasn't full. There are decent public and private transportation options to EWR same as there are to JFK and both airports are a long ways from midtown Manhattan. Overall this is a smart move for UA. There really was no reason to keep those 2 very lucrative routes isolated at JFK from the rest of all those feeder flights at EWR...it made no sense.

What UA is saying...and they are right...is that they can't possibly please everyone everywhere. If JFK is your airport then you need to choose AA or DL. But at EWR.. UA is going to be by far your best option for a mainline carrier.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by ACVBear
... I wouldn't be shocked if UA eliminated PS in a few years when they find that they lost a LOT of business from NYC customers and can't sustain PS on hub-to-hub feeders
This is exactly my initial thought. The p.s. brand has already been badly mismanaged, and moving it to EWR will kill it.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Overall this is a smart move for UA. There really was no reason to keep those 2 very lucrative routes isolated at JFK from the rest of all those feeder flights at EWR...it made no sense.

What UA is saying...and they are right...is that they can't possibly please everyone everywhere. If JFK is your airport then you need to choose AA or DL. But at EWR.. UA is going to be by far your best option for a mainline carrier.
I really disagree.

EWR is not going to support the premium fares UA wants from these flights. ps has always been about the high dollar banking/entertainment/fashion industry traffic, and that traffic prefers JFK.

When UA and CO merged, CO was selling lie flats SFO-EWR on the int'l 752 for 1/3 the price of ps SFO-JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Wow. Another reason to abandon United for NYC travel.
While an inconvenience for people out on the island and possibly some in the outer boroughs. EWR is definitely more convenient for people in Manhattan, 3 stops from NY Penn Station is pretty nice.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
If you're the world's leading carrier you ought to be able to support service into the largest aviation market in the US.

pmUnited had said it was profitable in their low-density 3 class 757s...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have really, really enjoyed using SDC between JFK & LGA. Perhaps now we could beg for EWR & LGA to be a co-terminal? Rrrrrrright.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.