Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Takes Lowest Rank (of majors) in JD Power 2015 and other surveys

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Takes Lowest Rank (of majors) in JD Power 2015 and other surveys

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by halls120
My experience is generally the same as yours - I get lots of smiles and great service on most flights. Then there was that one FA on our flight home from the UK last month who was a first class grump the entire flight. I think her fellow FAs were embarrassed by her demeanor.
(BOLDED) Turn her in to management. Perhaps she needs another profession. The other FA's should also address this problem FA with UA. Of course the FA has the protection of the Union that loves to protect the "bad apples".
Old May 15, 2015, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kettle1
(BOLDED) Turn her in to management. Perhaps she needs another profession. The other FA's should also address this problem FA with UA. Of course the FA has the protection of the Union that loves to protect the "bad apples".
Already done. What made her attitude more apparent was our outgoing flight. We had a CAPT Denny-like pilot who set the tone for an outstanding flight by taking the PA in the boarding area. That flight was truly one of the best in-flight experiences we've ever had.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Remember when UA use to brag about is high ranking with the Powers report? I wonder if $mi$ek will now address the patehtocally low ranking?
Old May 15, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
My experience is generally the same as yours - I get lots of smiles and great service on most flights. Then there was that one FA on our flight home from the UK last month who was a first class grump the entire flight. I think her fellow FAs were embarrassed by her demeanor.
And that will happen on any airline. A grumpy FA is not exclusive to UA. My solution to a grumpy FA, have as little interaction as possible with them. Interacting usually will only make it worse. But my first interaction is I try to be more positive and great attitude towards them and sometimes they turn around and get better. So yes, I have had a rare grumpy FA. I make an attempt to improve their day and if does't work, don't be grumpy back towards them, that will only make it worse. Which is what I have a feeling happens a lot of the time then we get a report of being yelled at, demeaned, etc.

Last edited by Baze; May 15, 2015 at 6:12 pm Reason: fixed typo that changed meaning.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Baze
But my first interaction is I try to be more positive and great attitude towards them
I do the same, a few useful stock lines (feel free to use them ):

"I just love the awesome Fresh-brew coffee, it has such complex and interesting flavors"

"Can I please have another glass of that wonderful red wine, it reminds me of the two-buck chuck I drink at home"

"I so look forward to my next United flight so I can get some more of that tasty Dewers scotch"

"I just love the United food, nothing like a United flight to start my next diet"

"I am so glad that United has realized that Americans watch too much TV, nothing like leather on the seat back in front of me to let me contemplate more important things."

"I love a UA flight, it lets me get out of touch with the universe when there is no wifi or it stops working"

"I seach out these great slim line seats as they help to prepare me for the bed of nails trial my Yogi will make me do"

"boy of boy am I glad this plane does not have power, thanks for the great excuse for why I did not finish that presentation."

"I just love the pulverized nuts, saves on the chewing"

"nothing like getting close to your neighbor in a UA business Class seat"

"I appreciate that United gives me lots of chances to stand arround at the gate, I sit down too much"

"People watching is great, and lots of fun on UA during all of the IRROPs"
Old May 15, 2015, 12:05 pm

I'm hardly a COdbaUA sycophant, but the JD Power "surveys" are worthless. A huge and "who cares" from me.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tuolumne
...the JD Power "surveys" are worthless.
Given that the name carries enormous equity in many business sectors, why do you feel that way?
Old May 15, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm hardly a COdbaUA sycophant, but the JD Power "surveys" are worthless. A huge and "who cares" from me.
If you can't measure it, you can't improve it. (Peter Drucker). While JDP is not perfect by any means, it is at least a measure. And one that has been used by many industries for many years.

So the question is "what better measure should we use"?
Old May 15, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by blueman2
If you can't measure it, you can't improve it. (Peter Drucker). While JDP is not perfect by any means, it is at least a measure. And one that has been used by many industries for many years.

So the question is "what better measure should we use"?
The problem with UA is they copy all the cost-cutting measures of DL but they dont implement any of the cabin/service improvements of DL.

Nobody wants to pay for a full fare F ticket on UA when something on DL or AA is 500x better. But UA doesn't care because i think they've accepted they just want to cater to the lowest paying passenger like NK and thats the customer base they're going for.

Case in point, while AA/DL lounges have hot food options you can have for free or buy, no such luck in UA clubs. Have fun munching on those crackers and cheese.

Surveys like JD power mean little to UA management. The merger has been done for 4+ years now and they still can't compete with AA/US who aren't even in year 2 of a merger and are winning on every level.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
... Guess which airline is on his no-fly list for the forseeable future?
The Continental executives who now run United Continental Holdings would view that individual as "over entitled" and would say "good riddance" if they were reading this story. They are interested in one thing, and one thing only: How much cash someone is willing to pay for the current flight. When someone pays cash for a flight and then later tries to use the benefits that were promised, it's viewed as a hostile act by this regime. They prefer kettles who buy tickets, pay extortionate fees, and then are replaced with new kettles who buy tickets, and then pay more extortionate fees. This is their "savvy" focus.

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Remember when UA use to brag about is high ranking with the Powers report? I wonder if $mi$ek will now address the patehtocally low ranking?
Smisek is motivated to manipulate specific formulae that are used to calculate his salary and bonus each year. Last year, this was almost $12,000,000. That's all he thinks about, and that's what every action since 3/12 has been designed to achieve.

They may be worthless but they are a valid indicator of how horrible this airline has become and a legitimate marker for the destruction that Smisek and his crew have wrought.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Last Place ---------------------> Friendly!:-:
Old May 15, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Glad your experiences have been good, I'm glad when anyone has good experiences. You, as evidenced by every major and minor poll are in the minority.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Glad your experiences have been good, I'm glad when anyone has good experiences. You, as evidenced by every major and minor poll are in the minority.
actually in the race to the bottom it looks like AC will be the winner.
they are worse than Ryan Air now.
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_canrge-4.htm
Old May 16, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Now that there are only 3 "majors" in the US, comparing them is less accurate.

Can we expand the pool to "all non LC carriers" or "all global carriers"? With the rise of WN, B6, VX, etc and the additional routes by asian, european and ME carriers, does it make sense to compare the 3 majors in isolation? How many folks when booking a trip to anywhere (either LHR or LAS) compare only the 3 US majors? I suspect this trend will continue over time, esp if we get another startup airline or more open skies agreements.

Mergers followed by capacity cuts are making the 3 majors less and less relevant. In many cases the trend setters are someone else.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JT_BOS
Hello, is there anybody "savvy" out there?
Oh Oh Oh. Pink (Jeffy) Floyd.

These ratings couldn't have happened to a more deserving airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.