Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold

Hey all,

I will be traveling in F for SFO-OGG on a 753 departing at 905a and also HNL-SFO on a 777 departing at 855p.

What should I expect in terms of food/service for these flights? (the second is listed as a "snack")

Also, will the HNL-SFO flight have a large pillow and blanket? (i've seen some in photos on a 777 IAH-HNL flight)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 28, 2015 at 4:21 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
For the outbound SFO-OGG you'll have breakfast. Should be three choices, one of which will be cereal and fruit, likely. Nothing special on the hard product; standard 757 seating.

The 777 HNL-SFO is the "Hawaii configuration", so you'll have the quasi-barcalounger seating, so at least a footrest and a better recline than the standard domestic seat. You'll also get the fuller pillow and blanket, yes. This should be a snack based meal...something along the lines of a wrap or a sandwich.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
adrock1976 has it exactly right. Think about that snack...it is only a 4-5 hour flight. The snack wrap will take an hour+ to serve and clean up meaning you will only get 3+ hour of sleep. Get a decent meal over sunset in the OGG terminal instead then crash on departure. After a departure mai tai..of course
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by CRQTraveler
Hey all,

I will be traveling in F for SFO-OGG on a 753 departing at 905a and also HNL-SFO on a 777 departing at 855p.!

Expect disappointment-- intense, lingering, abject disappointment.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the information!

I have one last question...how good is the recline on the 777 seats? Is it the same as the old P.S. business seats?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CRQTraveler
I have one last question...how good is the recline on the 777 seats? Is it the same as the old P.S. business seats?
Yes, same seat, slightly less recline.

The HNL-SFO flight will be better than SFO-OGG in all respects.

But eat dinner in Honolulu. And get ready for that dreadful 5 am arrival at SFO.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Keep expectations low and you'll be fine. It's a bit better then Y since you'll have a bit of legroom, but it is domestic F service and nothing more.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
and if I may hi-jack this thread...flying to OGG from ORD in July in First (yes cue the laughing)...will those birds get wi-fi by then and what food offerings?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?

Definitely download some old time videos from YouTube on airline travel to view on the plane. Different service, perhaps the same aircraft?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Alaska 75K Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
I'll be headed to HNL on Monday from DEN. On that 757 leg it's the International layout with lieflat seats. Really that's the only good thing is the IFE and Lie Flat seats.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: Platinum
I've noticed the foot rest seems broken on a bunch of those 777's. Really sucks when trying to get that 1-2 hours of sleep before the 5 am arrival
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
mine is the 777-200 series with no IFE and right now no wifi or screens of any kind...hoping at least the wifi gets going by then...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cruzcap
mine is the 777-200 series with no IFE and right now no wifi or screens of any kind...hoping at least the wifi gets going by then...
If your flight is in July how on earth do you know which aircraft is assigned?

All of the Hawaii 772s have streaming entertainment and all but one have wifi. IMO the streaming system is a big improvement over the overhead screens.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Lack of in-seat power is a consideration as well, so bring additional power supplies for your BYOE (bring your own entertainment) devices.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Lack of in-seat power is a consideration as well, so bring additional power supplies for your BYOE (bring your own entertainment) devices.
More than half of the sub-fleet now has power. Good chance it will be 100% by July.

But you're right, it is always a good idea to charge your devices before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.