Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Official UNITED policy for meal preferences is to prioritize in the following order: (as of late 2023)
  1. Pre-orders
  2. Global Services members
  3. 1K members
  4. All other revenue passengers from front to back (no difference between $$$ or mileage or upgraders)
  5. Non-Revs

The proper way is to take orders front-to-back, and apply priority in the galley afterwards. Some FAs may still hop around the cabin seeking GS and 1Ks and take their orders first.
With the sharp increase in passengers pre-ordering meals, front-to-back ordering is now predominant.

Previous thread: Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed that airports are often not much better. I meant before going to the airport.

If possible, it's best not to rely on the airline to feed you these days. Been served absolute garbage in F on quite a few 5+ hour flights, across all three legacies.
I've never been a fussy foo foo'ish person when it comes to food so airline cuisine suites me fine but last week flying CDG-ATL on DL in PE we were given wooden utensils which I thought were unique.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:18 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Exclamation

Greetings all,

The topic of this thread is Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins - let's keep the discussion focused on that.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA forum mod
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PushingTin
But the FA took orders from the port side rows 1 to 3, and then starboard side 1 to 3, and then our row. Why didn’t she just take all the port side rows one through four. Or all of row one, all of row two, and so on.
Probably scatter-brain or used to working widebodies, realizing that should she have done entire row 1-3, so she stopped herself and go back to row 1.

But yes, it is strange, since most FA would do entire row instead, especially with only 16 seats.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:54 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Pre-Covid wasn't UA rolling out an app on the F/A company-issued smart phone to handle meal orders? Shouldn't hat have its bugs ironed out by now?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wpcoe
Pre-Covid wasn't UA rolling out an app on the F/A company-issued smart phone to handle meal orders? Shouldn't hat have its bugs ironed out by now?
Looks like they were using it on my flights in the past week
wpcoe likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:56 pm

Domestic F Meal Rant

Just wanted to vent. DEN-LAX. No option to pre-order your meal via app or website. Ran out of vegetarian option by the time they got to us (row 4). No snack boxes from economy loaded either. So our only option is a cup of fruit off the side of the chicken sandwich meal. Is it really that hard to load a few more meals? Especially when it's out of DEN? Or why not give customers the option to pre-order.

I know running out of meal choices is common, it just seems like an extremely cheap move. I could tell that the FA felt bad about it also.

Oh and top it off someone around me has really bad, mask penetrating flatulence,

OK rant over.
nexus7556 likes this.

Last edited by HGPilot; Oct 19, 2021 at 9:09 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA loads as many passenger meals as there are seats. They've played with pre-ordering, but it's certainly not promised anywhere. The key to maximize chances of getting what you want on UA (in lieu of higher status), is to select seat(s)as far forward as possible. It is what it is. Short flight, so the coroner probably didn't have to remove emaciated bodies
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:18 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by HGPilot
I could tell that the FA felt bad about it also.
Based on what I had to deal with on my last four flights, I would have been thrilled if I received at least this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA loads as many passenger meals as there are seats. They've played with pre-ordering, but it's certainly not promised anywhere. The key to maximize chances of getting what you want on UA (in lieu of higher status), is to select seat(s)as far forward as possible. It is what it is. Short flight, so the coroner probably didn't have to remove emaciated bodies
Row 4 was the most forward row with 2 available seats. Plus there was a GS and a ton of 1Ks on the flight and I'm sure plenty of them were in F who probably got their order in first. I just don't get why it's so hard to load a few more meals. It's obvious that passengers have dietary choices/restrictions and by having zero extras this is going to happen. On the plus side the alcohol gets you harder on an empty stomach.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Do you have your meal preferences saved in your profile?

This is different than being able to pre order your meals....

There are 2 Vegetarian choice iirc
Strict Vegan and Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian

afaik, this automatically orders you that meal on any flight on UA or UA express where meals are served - but I will admit I don't know how much Covid affected this preference
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
afaik, this automatically orders you that meal on any flight on UA or UA express where meals are served - but I will admit I don't know how much Covid affected this preference
Presently UA is not offering Special Meals except for few routes and none domestically
Special Meals - Questions, Experiences, ... [Consolidated] (Presently only TLV)
featheroleather likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently UA is not offering Special Meals except for few routes and none domestically
Special Meals - Questions, Experiences, ... [Consolidated] (Presently only TLV)

In this case, she said there was a vegetarian option - would their special meal preference worked? Maybe at least to show the FA that they have a vegan option selected or whatever, so they may have gotten that choice of food?

I dunno, all of this stuff is foreign to me and I always tell people if you are flying and want special food, you better bring it because you never know what catering is going to load.
dw, lamphs and huey_driver like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Could the flatulence issue be related to United's catering?
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
In this case, she said there was a vegetarian option - would their special meal preference worked? Maybe at least to show the FA that they have a vegan option selected or whatever, so they may have gotten that choice of food?
It still would not have worked. Think of that field being 100% completely ignored by anyone unless you're on a qualifying flight--transcons, certain longer international routes, longer haul Hawaiian. Simply, United does not offer special meals nor do they cater (no pun intended) to anyone with special dietary restrictions on most domestic flights.

I dunno, all of this stuff is foreign to me and I always tell people if you are flying and want special food, you better bring it because you never know what catering is going to load.
This. My wife has food allergies. She certainly does not rely on the airline to provide her with something safe for her. Even on the rare international/Hawaii flight where she'd be able to special order, she still brings plenty of backup food because we never know what to expect.
dw, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
This. My wife has food allergies ... she still brings plenty of backup food because we never know what to expect.
I'm an omnivore, and I still put backup food, like a protein bar or trail mix, in my briefcase for every flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.