Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.​
Print Wikipost

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
UA272 ORD-BOS on February 4

Middle of tons of bad weather and United cancels this flight almost 24 hours in advance for mechanical. This is from ORD, their corporate playground and they can not find a plane to replace this? Seriously.
Of course due to weather everything is booked unless you want to connect on some nasty routes or fly a different day.
United continues to slide down an increasingly slippery slope
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I think you're assuming UA could find an alternate aircraft, not try to hurry a repair they know normally takes more than the 24 hours until takeoff.

But you have to remember that ORD had the 5th biggest blizzard in Chicago history on Sunday, it's currently snowing now as well, and the East coast got hit on Monday. It's going to take a few days to get planes repositioned. There may not be many "spares" right now.

I've had many, many ridiculous mechanical delays and cancels since the merger, but I would be expecting significant issues this week with any airline that parks a lot of planes at ORD and EWR.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Let's pretend United has a spare aircraft lying around. what route will be used on? For the passenger who is being inconvenienced, it should be used on his/her route. Right?

But what about the passengers inconvenienced on another route? What about where the aircraft needs to be later in the day?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snapper6768
Middle of tons of bad weather and United cancels this flight almost 24 hours in advance for mechanical.
Gosh, it's almost like 1+1=2 there...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
De-boarding and re-boarding entire aircraft - 1581 on 4-Feb

Basically every time I fly UA these days, there is some fun new occurrence. I had a quick hop scheduled on 1581 ORD-CLE today. After pulling a 90 minute mx delay, everyone's finally on board. And we wait.

And wait...

Finally 2+ hours after scheduled takeoff, the pilot comes aboard and announces that the gate doesn't know who is on the plane, and who isn't. We have to completely de-board, and reboard the aircraft from scratch.

All mobile BPs had already expired out, so anyone with a mobile pass had to approach the desk to get a paper pass printed. GA adds gas to the fire by announcing (initially) that boarding order no longer matters - just come up and get back on the plane. Small mutiny occurs in groups 1 & 2, and GA back-peddles and reboards in normal order.

Now 2:20 past originally scheduled departure. Waiting. Now I really have seen it all...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Darlox
Basically every time I fly UA these days, there is some fun new occurrence. I had a quick hop scheduled on 1581 ORD-CLE today. After pulling a 90 minute mx delay, everyone's finally on board. And we wait.

And wait...

Finally 2+ hours after scheduled takeoff, the pilot comes aboard and announces that the gate doesn't know who is on the plane, and who isn't. We have to completely de-board, and reboard the aircraft from scratch.

All mobile BPs had already expired out, so anyone with a mobile pass had to approach the desk to get a paper pass printed. GA adds gas to the fire by announcing (initially) that boarding order no longer matters - just come up and get back on the plane. Small mutiny occurs in groups 1 & 2, and GA back-peddles and reboards in normal order.

Now 2:20 past originally scheduled departure. Waiting. Now I really have seen it all...
LOL I have this happen about once a month at my home airport - it never happened in the past but after outsourcing my home airport it started to occur - I think it's a system / GA issue but wouldn't bet my life on it - my theory is they go to close out the flight and do something wrong - and lose the records of who is on the plane - and then don't have any choice but to start over lol...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:43 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Maybe fastair will jump on this thread to give some insights. fastair often has experience with things like this.

I have never experienced something like this personally. What an inconvenience. Sounds like the whole plane was "denied boarding."

Any compensation due these passengers?

I have had a couple of mx delays in past years (nothing recent) in which passengers had the option to deplane for a very long delay in which the flight was not initially cancelled. The aircraft was still at the gate. Passengers were advised to stay close to gate area for announcements as they would be quickly reboarding. Some passengers opted to deplane and wait in gate area. I assume they had to be given their boarding passes again (or perhaps yellow plastic ribbons). I do not know how the GAs handled that.

I just stayed in my airplane seat and worked or talked on the phone, etc, as I did not have a pressing need to get another flight. FAs brought beverages to those in First.
I do not recall what they did for service for those in coach.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mkr
Sounds like the whole plane was "denied boarding."
Ummm...no.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:56 pm
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
sbm12, I had a "" (sarcastic) icon with my post.

At any rate, should these passengers get some kind of compensation?

I was on a delayed flight and after the safety announcements before departure, the FA announced that all of us would have a travel voucher sent to our email addresses as UA's way of apology. UA was proactive in that case. Sure enough, when I arrived at my destination, I checked my email and the voucher was there.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:00 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Did they let people deplane at the gate during thatbdelay without scanning them off? It's far better to be accurate than not when it comes to these things (and required as well.)

On knows delays, I have no issue with deplaning people, but despite announcing that they will need to be individually scanned off with BP unless we deplane all, I usually get a mob trying to run past the reader without any boarding pass in hand. And if there's a change in gate crew, knowledge of what the previous crew did does not always get communicated to the replacement staff with sufficient accuracy and confidence to make the replacement team secure in the stats. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by fastair; Feb 4, 2015 at 4:05 pm
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:09 pm
mkr
Suspended

fastair, I do not know what the GA did with those passengers who deplaned, I stayed on the aircraft in the incidents I described.

But would you mind looking at the OP and joining in on the discussion with your insights as to why the entire plane had to be emptied of passengers? What happened here?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mkr
sbm12, I had a "" (sarcastic) icon with my post.
That's not usually how it it used around here so forgive my skepticism.

Are they due comp? Probably not. In the end the flight pushed back 2:25 late and typically they don't offer comp for that.

Of course, the part where it is about to land in PIT after diverting because of weather in CLE isn't likely to make any of the passengers happy.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:18 pm

Yes indeedy, ladies & gents! We are now in PIT awaiting a refuel and news on CLE.

They did board everyone once, but then disembarked after the magnitude of the MX was known. The only detail I can add is that the gate agent was having a hard time subsequently checking people in. Entering pax by sequence number was not working. The only thing the GA could do was to reprint paper BPs and then scan them.

The supervisor (or senior GA, not sure) declared the system "broken".
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Darlox
The supervisor (or senior GA, not sure) declared the system "broken".
apparently the supervisor is not an FT'er or he would have known that a long time ago
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:28 pm

Captain just bought McDonald's for everyone onboard. Definitely the thought that counts... everyone onboard is pretty Zen at this point.

Interestingly, UA website and app show our PIT-CLE as in-flight! But we are most definitely still sitting here on the ground...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.