Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today were announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. Weve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDMs?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Let's say your 2015 spend is $40K.

2014: 500K RDM's
2015: 440K RDM's

Fairly significant difference.

Add in the fact that PDX is not the best place to be a United elite anyway, and it is probably time to move on (or at least evaluate moving on)...
Agreed. I think the spread between 2014 and 2015 will be larger but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to know for sure.

If UA's winter cuts at PDX are permanent then DL is really my only option... Not gaining much there except maybe a better domestic product.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:05 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Agreed. I think the spread between 2014 and 2015 will be larger but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to know for sure.

If UA's winter cuts at PDX are permanent then DL is really my only option... Not gaining much there except maybe a better domestic product.
AS is staying with RDM by distance, at least for now. I am jumping ship as of next Monday. I don't know if PDX has enough AS flights to justify such a change for you.

If you fly transoceanic, you will have to fly a partner, and you won't be in an alliance, with the attendant drawbacks.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by uwr
I don't know if PDX has enough AS flights to justify such a change for you.
How about AA or DL, both AS partners? Do they balance things out there?

Tom in Dusseldorf
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Let's say your 2015 spend is $40K.

2014: 500K RDM's
2015: 440K RDM's..
60k miles difference worth 600 USd for someone spending 40k per year is insignificant.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
60k miles difference worth 600 USd for someone spending 40k per year is insignificant.
Once again, your valuation of miles != the valuation most of us put on them :-:

55K AA miles are getting me a one way CX HKG-EWR in J next month that were I to buy it, would run about $8,400. IMO that is significant.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
60k miles is a one-way to Europe in C. I value that more than $600.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
...Most (70-75%) of the 2M annual mileage accumulation is from CC charges....
And people wonder why our mileage is being devalued and Saver awards are getting harder to come by.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Bonehead
And people wonder why our mileage is being devalued and Saver awards are getting harder to come by.
I dont think anyone wonders, but there are still people who are kidding themselves that the reduction in handing out RDMs for flights will make a positive difference in award space, etc.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont think anyone wonders, but there are still people who are kidding themselves that the reduction in handing out RDMs for flights will make a positive difference in award space, etc.
i would assume most of the miles are coming from Credit Cards and not flying? And the credit card miles are not going to change. However perhaps more people will lose status and they wont get the {"improved Access to awards}
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Once again, your valuation of miles != the valuation most of us put on them :-:

55K AA miles are getting me a one way CX HKG-EWR in J next month that were I to buy it, would run about $8,400. IMO that is significant.
FWIW, that award-55K one way on CX business-is one of my key references for determining "what is a mile worth?"

Even in the past when I was flying 250K/yr BIS, 60K miles was significant. Two domestic flight gifts to friends and family, etc...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by why fly
i would assume most of the miles are coming from Credit Cards and not flying? And the credit card miles are not going to change. However perhaps more people will lose status and they wont get the {"improved Access to awards}
What improved access to awards? A sprinkle of United metal coach seats?

Who cares
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luckypierre
FWIW, that award-55K one way on CX business-is one of my key references for determining "what is a mile worth?"
Enjoying it while it lasts...sure it will be going up by at least 50% at some point next year
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Enjoying it while it lasts...sure it will be going up by at least 50% at some point next year
My own "guesstimate," without much to base it upon apart from the fact that AA/US doesn't show the resolve at devaluing their FF program at this point compared to UA/DL, is 1st quarter 2016.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Who's Excited For The 'New' Mileage Plus?

It sounds delightful, doesn't it?

"And we're adding new ways to use your award miles, to make the frequent flyer program with the best award availability even better." - from their announcement

Yay!

What a scam.

I just checked miles accrued for my normal BKK-NYC/LAX route, and it's going to score in at 15,300 miles with Premier Platinum based on a $1,700 ticket price.

UA (with the ANA BKK-NRT codeshare) is generally about $400-500 more than Delta, Cathay and Turkish on this route, has uninspired service on the TPAC segment and now would now like to offer 15,300 miles on a ticket that would normally get 19,000 plus a 75% Platinum bonus.

And, at the same time, everyone remembers the increased mileage redemption numbers.

So, less miles and higher award redemption numbers. Unbelievable.

I have two questions: 1) If you fly on *A partners, do you still get mileage based on distance and the bonus for Premier status level, and 2) any recommendations for programs to switch to/status match next year for Asia - US travel?

As I'm in the mood to complain, I don't understand the business model of not finding ways to maintain loyalty business. As a business owner, I welcome repeat/loyal customers. It's easy money - no sales required!

I think the time is coming to move on.

Last edited by rostovru; Oct 22, 2014 at 3:16 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rostovru
I have two questions: 1) If you fly on *A partners, do you still get mileage based on distance and the bonus for Premier status level
*A partner travel will continue to earn MileagePlus miles based on mileage, but the way that this will work (the exact percentages) has not yet been announced. This is most likely because Delta has not yet announced how they will handle SkyTeam partners. I assume as soon as we see concrete info on the SkyMiles earning for Air France page, we'll also know what will happen for MileagePlus and Air Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.