Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by Madone59
Yes I have done this. I had an O followed by a TATL I. Called and changed the I segment (2 Cabin) to a different (3 Cabin) flight, carrier, connection point onward to SAN into O.

WAS: O-I-I
NOW: O-O-I
Sweet sassy ! Might have a chance of a much better flight close in thanks for the info
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Agents Don't Know the Policy

On the 1K line, I waited 20 minutes for an agent to check with her manager about the rules for a simple date change on SFO-YVR-FRA-TXL, F award. The manager wasn't sure either, but as a "courtesy" they made the change without debiting additional miles.

United continues to FAIL on training and customer service....

So here's a question:

Can you make multiple changes, i.e. call to reschedule the date 10 days ahead three times? Will that really work? If not, you're screwed trying to get LH F in mid-March because LH doesn't release that space to partners more than 14 days ahead.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Explore
So here's a question:

Can you make multiple changes, i.e. call to reschedule the date 10 days ahead three times? Will that really work? If not, you're screwed trying to get LH F in mid-March because LH doesn't release that space to partners more than 14 days ahead.
I think you're better off canceling the reservation (DON'T REDEPOSIT) as it'll leave the ticket intact "open", allowing you to rebook on LH F within the 14-day window.

This isn't guaranteed to work, but it worked for me -- although I did cancel the reservation prior to Feb 1. Not sure if that matters or not.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

Do you think this is changeable:

I currently have:

USM-BKK, TG J
BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SFO, UA F

Think it will be possible to change to:

USM-BKK, TG J
BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SEA, LH F
SEA-SFO, UA X or I
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kraut
Do you think this is changeable:

I currently have:

USM-BKK, TG J
BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SFO, UA F

Think it will be possible to change to:

USM-BKK, TG J
BKK-FRA, TG F
FRA-SEA, LH F
SEA-SFO, UA X or I
1. I am extremely impressed you got USM awards. How did you do that? I have been calling and looking forever.

2. Yes you have the same O/D and you are already on an F award. You are technically only changing connections. It may take a HUCA or two but should be OK to change.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:35 pm

1. I am extremely impressed you got USM awards. How did you do that? I have been calling and looking forever.

2. Yes you have the same O/D and you are already on an F award. You are technically only changing connections. It may take a HUCA or two but should be OK to change.
Thanks. I got the USM segments over 9 months ago.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
HUACA FTW! Changed

IAD-ORD-NRT-SIN (UA-NH-UA, I-O-O)

to

IAD-NRT-SIN (NH-UA, O-O)

$75 fee and no additional miles, despite what the agent wanted to do last night. This one put me on hold for about five minutes and came back to get my credit card details. I didn't mention the idea of additional miles, just told him I wanted to make a small routing change. I suspect the computer tried to reprice it and he knew it shouldn't, as the fare calculation on the ticket still shows /FC WAS UA X/CHI NH X/TYO UA SIN 0.00FSM/WF72 despite a new ticket number having been issued. Picked seat on NH website, but now I have to decide if I should call to confirm, lest UA's system not actually show NH the ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
When trying to change a Japan-SE Asia o/w online it wanted to charge me 10K miles additional to downgrade to Y. And anywhere between 12.5K and 25K to keep the same O/D but with a different connection point.

Clearly I'm going to need to call and see what the story is.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Free agent
Our original itinerary is in F from IAH-FRA-BKK on Feb 15. We need to move the trip to IAH-FRA-SGN around March 15. Am I allowed to cancel the ticket, not redeposit the miles then reticket at the old rates as LH inventory opens up?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I was going to say the original wont work. the JFK/EWR change would trigger a re-price. What I have been advised by friends at UA is as follows:

1. O & D can't change, connections can

2. Class changes are based off the current highest fare booked. ie: If you have an I award, and find F seats (even on the same plane) then no dice! If you have an I/O award with an X or I segment you can upgrade the lower segment(s) to the highest level of the award. So X's can go to I's and I's can go to O's as long as that upgrade is no higher then the original ticket.
#1 is not what UA Insider advised and the other thread seems to have examples of people not only changing co-terminals, but entirely different city pairs provided O & D stay in the same region as originally booked.

Hoping this holds true as I'm looking to change from EWR-NRT on UA to JFK-NRT on NH if they open any I space closer to departure.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigBossman
With a saver first award from WAS to BKK booked before 1 FEB, I was able to change the following flights for the same dates:

IAD-UA Y>YUL-LH f > MUC to IAD-LH F> FRA-LH C > MUC

Glad to see this one. Gives me (and everyone else) who grabbed LH F via YYZ hope that on close-in they can change to a LH F flight that goes back to their closest city in the US instead of routing via YYZ (in my case change from CPH - MUC - YYZ - DCA to either CPH - MUC - IAD or CPH - FRA - IAD on the 748 - obviously my preferred option). My only fear is that these initial rules and training will be forgotten as time progresses. My flight in question isn't until beginning of July so I just have to wait and hope that I'll be able to make the change and that the agents are still able to do this come June / July
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:48 pm

I was going to say the original wont work. the JFK/EWR change would trigger a re-price. What I have been advised by friends at UA is as follows:

1. O & D can't change, connections can

2. Class changes are based off the current highest fare booked. ie: If you have an I award, and find F seats (even on the same plane) then no dice! If you have an I/O award with an X or I segment you can upgrade the lower segment(s) to the highest level of the award. So X's can go to I's and I's can go to O's as long as that upgrade is no higher then the original ticket.
"[A]s long as that upgrade is no higher then the original ticket."

Do you mean "original ticket" or "original maximum award level claimed?"

I have a first class saver award to SYD. My two United domestic segments are in X (waitlisted for I), and one international regional segment in I. 5 segments are in O. Can I get my maximum award level originally claimed if the higher class opens up for the three non-O segments?.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
My only fear is that these initial rues and training will be forgotten as time progresses. My flight in question isn't until beginning of July so I just have to wait and hope that I'll be able to make the change and that the agents are still able to do this come June / July
I was thinking the opposite actually. It may turnout that the more times the CSR experiences a change request, the more often the correct rules will be reinforced in their understanding of what is and isn't allowed.

Cheers
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Just was able to add on a segment, YUL-ORD so now have the following:
BKK-(TG F)-CDG-(AC J)-YUL-(AC J)-ORD
Only charged additional taxes.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
USA to Europe

Booked TAP for 50k through Lisbon before 02/03 as it was slim pickings

Today I changed it to two days earlier and LH through Frankfurt

some Taxes/Fees + $75 change fee but no increase in mileage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.