Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tmelanio
Thanks for the info. Also, I am flying MCO-EWR-ORD-HKG-SIN. If my proposed SDC is MCO-EWR-SFO-NRT-SIN, do I have to wait for 24 hours before MCO-EWR, or 24 hours before HKG-SIN?

Also, do you know if I could get away with a SDC in the same fare class for MCO-EWR-LAX-MRY-SFO-NRT-SIN? I have friends I could visit overnight in Carmel (MRY).
In my experience, it's the first connection within 24 hours. But I've never had that many.

I'd say less than a 5% chance of the latter SDC, even if fare classes open, that you'd be allowed to add two connections and a forced overnight.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
How do I know how many PQD I will earn on a ticket? I am very frustrated that I'm $66 away from qualifying for 1K next year, but there's no more company budget. I thought my last flight would qualify me for 1K because the cost (excluding taxes) + my original PQD >1000, but now that doesn't seem like the case... Is there a PQD calculator?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by agp423
How do I know how many PQD I will earn on a ticket? I am very frustrated that I'm $66 away from qualifying for 1K next year, but there's no more company budget. I thought my last flight would qualify me for 1K because the cost (excluding taxes) + my original PQD >1000, but now that doesn't seem like the case... Is there a PQD calculator?
There is no calculator but base prices+plus carrier fees seems to be accurate. Some folks have gotten messed up by using the numbers provided during the the search / purchase process which does not separate out the Fed Excise Tax of 7.5%. The e-mail receipt has the FET broken out and is the numbers you should be using. On itins with no non-qualifying segments, the UA posted numbers have always been the same or a few dollars more than the estimate done with the mailed receipt.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-web-site.html for more.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:58 am

Thank you wine country!

The flights are around $1100 paid...so if I can't do the whole thing in miles, then it would be better to pay cash.

I'll look into change fees. Right now the only flights have awful connections, which I'm trying to avoid in the winter in Canada.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA mileage plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can use your status now to book seats and there is a chance it will stick for you flight. The seats will stick unless there is a "flight change" that causes a seating sweep. If that happens the status at time of the sweep will be used. The later in the year from now, the greater the chance that will happen.

Boarding and bag allowance will definitively be based on status at flight time.
SFO UC's close at 11:30PM and re-open at 5AM. The terminal is open 24 hours.

Thanks!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold
I paid for an upgrade via miles+copay syd-sfo which obviously didn't clear as I'm a gold and was trying to fly on a Saturday (I figured I'd give it a shot and plus my follow on sfo-sat flight did get upgraded).

My question is when does the miles and copay get refunded. The rules say 7-10 days but is that 7-10 days after that flight or after the end of my trip (as I've still have to to take my flight home which occurs in a few days). If it's the former I guess I should be calling the MPSC to start pushing for the miles and copay to be refunded as I'm now at day 9 after that flight, right?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by garbs
I paid for an upgrade via miles+copay syd-sfo which obviously didn't clear as I'm a gold and was trying to fly on a Saturday (I figured I'd give it a shot and plus my follow on sfo-sat flight did get upgraded).

My question is when does the miles and copay get refunded. The rules say 7-10 days but is that 7-10 days after that flight or after the end of my trip (as I've still have to to take my flight home which occurs in a few days). If it's the former I guess I should be calling the MPSC to start pushing for the miles and copay to be refunded as I'm now at day 9 after that flight, right?
Time is based om days after the failed flight segments.

Miles usually post promptly, copays can be verrrrrrry slow.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...de-co-pay.html
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
My GF is currently a non-status on United. I am a Platinum on US Airways which allows me to gift status to my GF. She is planning on using the gift to do the United Silver Challenge.

A few weeks ago She purchased a ticket from SFO-DCA and paid $75 for the economy plus upgrade. If she becomes United Silver before this flight, would the $75 be refunded? Do we need to move her to a regular seat then back to the economy plus seat to get it refunded or is there some other method? Or is she just hosed out of the $75?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by venkol
My GF is currently a non-status on United. I am a Platinum on US Airways which allows me to gift status to my GF. She is planning on using the gift to do the United Silver Challenge.

A few weeks ago She purchased a ticket from SFO-DCA and paid $75 for the economy plus upgrade. If she becomes United Silver before this flight, would the $75 be refunded? Do we need to move her to a regular seat then back to the economy plus seat to get it refunded or is there some other method?
E+ fee will not be refunded
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
Originally Posted by steveman518
E+ fee will not be refunded
Why does that not surprise me. Stupid airlines.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:00 pm
RNE

Why does that not surprise me. Stupid airlines.
The $75 may not be wasted. Presumably your GF bought the E+ seat of her dreams and it's now in the bag. If she had to wait until T-24, that one and other ones she'd like may be taken. (Note to the Peanut Gallery: I'm not saying this is likely at T-24, simply possible.)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:05 pm

A few weeks ago She purchased a ticket from SFO-DCA and paid $75 for the economy plus upgrade. If she becomes United Silver before this flight, would the $75 be refunded? Do we need to move her to a regular seat then back to the economy plus seat to get it refunded or is there some other method? Or is she just hosed out of the $75?
The rules state no refund but the experience of some has been different -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-platinum.html

The case of Silver is a bit different in the sense Silver do not have access until T-24. I think you can see UA's point that a refund of a Silver would lead to the practice of Silver purchasing E+ and then asking for refund at T-24. This would effectively give Silver's access at booking which is not their benefit.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, SPG Platinum,Hertz Gold
Last year was my first year to get United 1K and I got drink coupons for each status I achieved, but this year I haven't got anything. No bag tags, no drinks, no letter mentioning I have reached a new status. Is this common?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jawebster
Last year was my first year to get United 1K and I got drink coupons for each status I achieved, but this year I haven't got anything. No bag tags, no drinks, no letter mentioning I have reached a new status. Is this common?
Once you renew status, you should get a package starting in late January.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jawebster
It happens.

Never got my 1K kit last year despite several phone calls and it took several calls this year before it finally arrived in August

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.