FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:05 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by venkol
My GF is currently a non-status on United. I am a Platinum on US Airways which allows me to gift status to my GF. She is planning on using the gift to do the United Silver Challenge.

A few weeks ago She purchased a ticket from SFO-DCA and paid $75 for the economy plus upgrade. If she becomes United Silver before this flight, would the $75 be refunded? Do we need to move her to a regular seat then back to the economy plus seat to get it refunded or is there some other method? Or is she just hosed out of the $75?
The rules state no refund but the experience of some has been different -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-platinum.html

The case of Silver is a bit different in the sense Silver do not have access until T-24. I think you can see UA's point that a refund of a Silver would lead to the practice of Silver purchasing E+ and then asking for refund at T-24. This would effectively give Silver's access at booking which is not their benefit.