Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlightCancelled
Simple question about UA and lounge access:

Travelling one initiary MSP-ORD-IAH with UA in First (P) and one initiary the following day IAH-SVG-OSL in SK C both as *G (SAS EuroBonus Diamond), do I have lounge access in MSP and ORD?
Probably no because
-- not the same day
-- separate itins (although if same day this may not have been a total barrier but still would been an issue)

My bad.
Of course yes, non-UA *G status
.... duh.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

*G (SAS EuroBonus Diamond)
This gets you access to all UClubs so long as you are departing the local airport on *A metal.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably no because
None of that matters; the OP has non-UA *G status.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have heard different things from different people and sites. Some say that you get in with non-UA *G on all *A flights, while others claim it only concerns international flights, and flights on the same itinerary.

Nice to have that cleared up.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Some say that you get in with non-UA *G on all *A flights, while others claim it only concerns international flights, and flights on the same itinerary.
The final word is http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have heard different things from different people and sites. Some say that you get in with non-UA *G on all *A flights, while others claim it only concerns international flights, and flights on the same itinerary.

Nice to have that cleared up.
The confuse is there are two sets of rules. One for UA and another for non-UA *G. For non-UA *G , all that matters is the departing flight is *A, simple. For UA folks, it gets complex.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:02 pm

When I'm booking a flight, I see a certain dollar amount for the flight (say, $500) and then a certain dollar amount for taxes and fees (say, $55). Can I assume that the first amount (in my example, the $500) is the amount of PDQ I'm earning for the flight?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flyz
Can I assume that the first amount (in my example, the $500) is the amount of PDQ I'm earning for the flight?
At the risk of sounding snarky, you can assume whatever you like, but it's a bit more complicated than that. Especially on int'l flights.

But if it's only $55, you'd be close. Maybe even right on.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:10 pm

When I'm booking a flight, I see a certain dollar amount for the flight (say, $500) and then a certain dollar amount for taxes and fees (say, $55). Can I assume that the first amount (in my example, the $500) is the amount of PDQ I'm earning for the flight?
No, for instance, during the booking stage the Fed Excise Tax is not separated out into the tax section (previous discussions suggested that is required). Once you get the flight booked, then the FET is broken out into the tax section. FET is a flat 7.5% of the "base" fare.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
or
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
for more guidance in pre-determining PQD.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm Reason: links
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:43 pm

Thanks. I am now wading through the thread, but this is so flipping annoying. I need $540 more PDQ to hit Gold this year. I'm taking one further flight, in late December. The flight costs $572, of which $549 is flight and $23 is taxes. But if the $549 does not all count for PDQ, it seems to be impossible to tell whether I'll really hit the $540 before I book it, and it looks very likely that I'll just miss it. Argh!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:56 pm

Thanks. I am now wading through the thread, but this is so flipping annoying. I need $540 more PDQ to hit Gold this year. I'm taking one further flight, in late December. The flight costs $572, of which $549 is flight and $23 is taxes. But if the $549 does not all count for PDQ, it seems to be impossible to tell whether I'll really hit the $540 before I book it, and it looks very likely that I'll just miss it. Argh!
While this is a dangerous approach, for a mid price domestic ticket like your, I would discount the full price by 12-13% to estimate PQD, so I would estimate the PQD as close to $500. My guess you would have needed a domestic ticket north of $630 or so to be safe. Select a slightly higher fare class could bump up the price and get the needed PQDs. Remember you can book and get the ticket receipt with the full info and cancel/change the booking in 24 hours for free. Some people are "purchasing" E+ access to get the last few PQDs, since that is the only other option for PQDs.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:43 pm

The 24-hour cancellation period had completely slipped my mind — that's a great strategy — thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:59 pm

Is there any way to find out how many PQDs a ticket is earning? Looking at the base fare and ignoring taxes has not been an accurate way for me in the past. Why can someone not DEFINITIVELY tell me how much I will earn?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by nygiants242
Is there any way to find out how many PQDs a ticket is earning? Looking at the base fare and ignoring taxes has not been an accurate way for me in the past. Why can someone not DEFINITIVELY tell me how much I will earn?
If you look at your ticket receipt (not the online numbers while purchasing) and add base Airfare to International Surcharge (if any -- just international itins), you should be good. I have been dead on (except UA rounds up -- so UA reports 1 or 2 PQD more for the whole trip) all year. The key is the true numbers are on the ticket receipt.

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
Hello Friends

I have the MP Explorer as well as the old MP Awards credit card. Will being a 1k allow me to be eligible for the statement credit for both? If not, Im thinking of cancelling the Explorer and do you think they will credit the MP Awards card?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by buttking
Will being a 1k allow me to be eligible for the statement credit for both?
You are only officially entitled to one fee waiver, but Chase does make mistakes, so you could score multple waivers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.