Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
But the United site doesn't specify that the flights have to be domestic. It just says: "MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights." Is that just a rule that United failed to mention in their policy?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:28 pm

Except on the upgrades overview page it states what flights are eligible for CPUs. If UA (or any other airline) has to explicitly state what flights are eligible for CPUs every time they mention CPUs, no one would ever read the website (though no one does now anyways). UA is just saying that if you use the credit card to book the award ticket it becomes eligible for CPUs on CPU-eligible flights
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stupidsexyflanders
But the United site doesn't specify that the flights have to be domestic. It just says: "MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights." Is that just a rule that United failed to mention in their policy?
If you further read the upper part of that page, you will see "Complimentary Premier Upgrade" (CPU) are limited to domestic (non-PS, some Hawaii) and Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and Oceania.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
My mistake, you guys are 100% correct. The CPUs are only applicable to domestic flights, as I just confirmed with the United 1K desk. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stupidsexyflanders
My mistake, you guys are 100% correct. The CPUs are only applicable to domestic flights, as I just confirmed with the United 1K desk. Much appreciated.
Phew! Was worried for a sec.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:21 am

So United is offering bonus miles for travel booked to/from London for travel between Sep and Dec. I booked my flight a few weeks ago, before this promo was announced. Any chance I can still get the bonus miles?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nonstopski
So United is offering bonus miles for travel booked to/from London for travel between Sep and Dec. I booked my flight a few weeks ago, before this promo was announced. Any chance I can still get the bonus miles?
Using history as a guide, no.
You can cancel and rebook but unlikely the worth the costs unless a refundbale ticket.

For more on the promo, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...000-miles.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Pretty sure all fares are eligible for points+Ca$h upgrades, subject to availability, that coming out of R bucket IIRC.
So I tried again to book my YVR-IAH flight by checking the "upgrade award" button on the advanced search screen. It came back and said "upgrade not available" on this flight. Does that mean it isn't available now but I can still request it?

Or is points + Ca$h a separate program?
as always TIA
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
So I tried again to book my YVR-IAH flight by checking the "upgrade award" button on the advanced search screen. It came back and said "upgrade not available" on this flight. Does that mean it isn't available now but I can still request it?

Or is points + Ca$h a separate program?
as always TIA
MP miles+copay award upgrades for UA operated flights can request anything and if they will not clear at request will then be waitlisted.

Cash only upgrades can only be requested if they will immediately process, no waitlisting.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I have a flight way out in the future I can upgrade. EWR-IAH-ZIH (and back). On the way there, I can pay $367 to upgrade (9 seats available both flights). Redeeming an award (15k miles or RPU) shows waitlist only for EWR-IAH and 8 seats left for IAH-ZIH.

Why the seat availability discrepancy in paying cash vs. using miles/RPU? I understand the 'cash is king' for revenue, but is this a normal behavior? i.e. Will this behavior change.

Instead of paying $367, I can just first buy 15k miles at 1.9cpm for $285 and then apply it, saving $82.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal
I have a flight way out in the future I can upgrade. EWR-IAH-ZIH (and back). On the way there, I can pay $367 to upgrade (9 seats available both flights). Redeeming an award (15k miles or RPU) shows waitlist only for EWR-IAH and 8 seats left for IAH-ZIH.

Why the seat availability discrepancy in paying cash vs. using miles/RPU? I understand the 'cash is king' for revenue, but is this a normal behavior? i.e. Will this behavior change. ...
the cash vs RPU/miles upgrades are from separate inventory buckets and not uncommon for cash upgrades to be available but RPU/miles not be immediately confirmable.

... Instead of paying $367, I can just first buy 15k miles at 1.9cpm for $285 and then apply it, saving $82.
But with miles you would not presently clear -- so there is an added risk in that approach.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the cash vs RPU/miles upgrades are from separate inventory buckets and not uncommon for cash upgrades to be available but RPU/miles not be immediately confirmable.
Different buckets, got it ... just thought it would be in the same "R" bucket...

But with miles you would not presently clear -- so there is an added risk in that approach.
Right, I get that. Just noting - IF cash option & miles option both had the same availability, it obviously makes more sense to buy the miles and apply it.

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
IF cash option & miles option both had the same availability, it obviously makes more sense to buy the miles and apply it.
Which is why only the ca$h option is available
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
Hello, do you earn PQMs on an award flight?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by buttking
Hello, do you earn PQMs on an award flight?
No, only those paid with ca$h. Well, credit card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.