Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TommyB1965
I think it would be a waste of a GPU if he misses out on the transatlantic but gets bumped on the domestic onward leg, especially as he will be in the upgrade queue asa 1K anyway. Can that happen?
Don't worry. The published rule is that if the Business/First segment does not get upgraded, the GPU is not used, even if the other segment is upgraded.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:35 am

Platinum Status

Quick question if I qualify for platinum say in October, will I get the two rpu's this year and then two more next year or will they just be given at the start of the new calendar year? Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't worry. The published rule is that if the Business/First segment does not get upgraded, the GPU is not used, even if the other segment is upgraded.
Thank you !
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:09 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Bearcat16, welcome to FlyerTalk!

You get two RPUs when you qualify for Platinum status. They are given a few days after your qualification is recognized by United. To earn added groups of two RPUs, you must fly increments of 25,000 PQMs or 30 PQSs. See

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...gupgrades.aspx
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Bearcat16
Quick question if I qualify for platinum say in October, will I get the two rpu's this year and then two more next year or will they just be given at the start of the new calendar year? Thanks
They will be issued when you qualify and will be valid through the end of January of the following year (i.e. issued in October '14 and valid through January '16).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Generally speaking, are elite loads low between Christmas and New Year's, as I understand is the case the week of Thanksgiving? I'm trying to decide whether to count on a relatively high likelihood of CPUs for some domestic flying that week.

Last edited by DeterminedToUpgrade; Sep 30, 2014 at 3:06 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:28 pm

I just made million miler status and want to nominate a good female friend for the companion status as my wife is no longer able to fly. The regulations say companion has to be at same address as primary. Anyone know if this is still the case. I did a search here and came across a notation in the GS thread that the same address qualifier has been recently rescinded, but haven't been able to confirm this.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'm flying (UA)EWR-ZRH-IST(TK) and at online check in, it won't issue a BP because of doc check required at airport. I can't remember this happening anytime recently...is it because my final destination IST they need to check that I have the e-Visa?

This won't affect anything with my pre-selected seat assignment (J) between now and arriving at EWR tomorrow, right?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'm flying (UA)EWR-ZRH-IST(TK) and at online check in, it won't issue a BP because of doc check required at airport. I can't remember this happening anytime recently...is it because my final destination IST they need to check that I have the e-Visa?

This won't affect anything with my pre-selected seat assignment (J) between now and arriving at EWR tomorrow, right?
Yes and yes.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ebandman
I just made million miler status and want to nominate a good female friend for the companion status as my wife is no longer able to fly. The regulations say companion has to be at same address as primary. Anyone know if this is still the case. I did a search here and came across a notation in the GS thread that the same address qualifier has been recently rescinded, but haven't been able to confirm this.
Use your home address for her. Then when the card arrives, forward it to your friend.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ebandman
The regulations say companion has to be at same address as primary. Anyone know if this is still the case.
The rules are at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../lifetime.aspx. Rule #1 says
A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:14 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Regarding the 2015 program changes next year where earning miles will be based purely on ticket prices...say your ticket costs $900 but you use a $300 dollar travel certificate given to you by United as a result of a flight delay...will you be awarded miles based on the $900 or the $600 total after the certificate is applied?

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:40 am

I am flying transatlantic on a United ticket but Lufthansa metal on the TA leg. If I upgrade with miles+$, is the LH upgrade as likely to happen as if it was on Unitd metal? I know there are lots of factors and I cant even see the current load on the LH segment. Generally is the LH Upgrade as likely as United?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:14 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
Regarding the 2015 program changes next year where earning miles will be based purely on ticket prices...say your ticket costs $900 but you use a $300 dollar travel certificate given to you by United as a result of a flight delay...will you be awarded miles based on the $900 or the $600 total after the certificate is applied?

Thanks
According to the master FlyerTalk thread on these 2015 changes, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...leageplus.html (and start with that thread's wiki), this question is not shown as resolved. One post of June 10, suggests that if the full ticket price is shown in the receipt (excluding taxes and ineligible charges), you will get full credit even if using a travel credit voucher:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23011346-post575.html
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Upgrade (List)?

Dear UA FT:

I am new to the Premier status game. I have a flight on Friday that says my Complimentary Upgrade Requested. When I go the mobile app, it shows x amount of open seats in BF. There is an upgrade list with names and a check next to it and seat assignments. However it says that 18 seats are assigned out of 24 yet it does not list all occupied seats - only 11 out of 18 names are on the list with seat assignments. Also says: List only includes upgrade eligible customers that have checked (the 11 from above) but it is before the 24 OLCI.
How do I interpret this info? Am I missing from the list? Am I in the process of getting an upgrade but it doesn't show yet?

Thank you for any input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.