Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Result of this?

It just occurred to me, whether intended or not by UA, that I have not purchased an international flight in economy or business with UA since they stopped allowing EF to do R alerts. I often know many months in advance when I needed to travel. I'd set the alert and if I got one I would check and often buy a ticket right then. Sometimes, I purchased business (since R availability usually means the business price has dropped), sometimes bought econ and upgraded with miles. Sometimes, if the upgrade was available only one way, I'd pay full in cash to upgrade the other leg. I now check UA.com a few times, but if it is not available then, and there is a decent price on AF, DL, Air Brussels, LH or others, I will buy business from them. I am buying more business class TATL these days, though not with UA. Unless UA has quite offering much R space TATL (admittedly a possibility), then I've definitely purchased fewer UA TATL tickets than I would have in the past (usually twice a year).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by star_world
Sorry for not conforming with your expected American speech patterns
I guess the question is why you won't give a single example or reference or framework for viewing this issue in your way. Again, if you look up 'data transparency' online, the discussion is nothing like what you're saying. Why is that?

So UA does provide data transparency, just not as much as we'd like.
Sure. Of course. Every business has to provide some data to some customers, otherwise how could you ever sell anything? If UA offers me a ticket at a known price, that's more transparent than if they said, "Click here to buy a ticket, and then we'll tell you, afterward, how much it cost." They could be even less transparent. But they are providing about the absolute minimum of transparency that they possibly can while still operating their business at all.

I have no "fear" they will provide even less data. What I do have is annoyance that they claim they are going to be transparent and then they take away access to information that costs them little or nothing to provide and is worth thousands of dollars to me. It's a negative-sum attitude, at best---the "benefits" they think they are getting by restricting access to information probably have negative value to them, but in any case certainly far less than what it costs their customers. Doing things of little or no benefit to yourself that have big costs to your customers, just because you can, is a central management failure.

It also means I'm way more likely to book international travel on other carriers. So they are shooting themselves in the foot, twice. Unless they really think that their goal is to give me upgrades but not have me be able to make effective use of them. That seems like a crazed marketing plan, to me.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Unless they really think that their goal is to give me upgrades but not have me be able to make effective use of them. That seems like a crazed marketing plan, to me.
So I hate to become a conspiracy theorist, but this could actually be true. Upgrades supported by miles are not that financially damaging to UA if they correctly control the inventory to avoid displacing paying customers, because the accrued but unredeemed mileage is a liability on the balance sheet that they need to burn off at some reasoned pace. On the other hand, upgrades supported by instruments are definitely a financial liability, as they yield no cash, only customer good will. If they calculate they can still keep most of the good will by giving out the instruments (GPUs, RPUs) but making them awkward to redeem, insuring that some or many expire without use, this is the best of all worlds for UA, although clearly not for the customer!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starman
On the other hand, upgrades supported by instruments are definitely a financial liability, as they yield no cash, only customer good will. If they calculate they can still keep most of the good will by giving out the instruments (GPUs, RPUs) but making them awkward to redeem, insuring that some or many expire without use, this is the best of all worlds for UA, although clearly not for the customer!
And if this is the case, it is a fundamentally dishonest business practice.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Yeah, but I think the converse possibility is pretty likely, if you give people upgrade instruments that are supposed to be usable for a certain benefit, and you make it impractical for people to actually use them, those people could be more frustrated and unhappy than before. Logically, getting 6 RPUs (which are worth around $400 each to me) is already a great benefit, even if they couldn't be used globally. (And searching for R availability is much less of an issue for domestic travel, for lots of reasons.) So if they just gave out RPUs at 1K then I might be fairly happy. Giving me GPUs, that I'm supposed to be able to use for more, but can't really, can work against them. Of course, everyone is different.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
And if this is the case, it is a fundamentally dishonest business practice.
I'm not apologizing for UA in any way. I loved pmUA, hate COdbaUA. But I would point out that restricting redemption of free awards is a fundamental part of most FF programs, including M+ of course. Restricted redemption is disclosed in the fine print, but still surprises most Kettles, who can't understand why they can't get the nonstop transcon on Friday night for free. In this respect, how is restricting redemption of instrument supported upgrades any different? It's disclosed in the fine print. So I'm not sure I'd call it dishonest. It may well be STUPID, if it drives away more business than it attracts. Yet here we all are, the UA HVFs, moaning on FT, but, we're still here, so presumably most of us are still flying UA after the moans. Maybe they're not even stupid....

I'm beginning to believe limiting R redemptions is the primary purpose of making R bucket availability awkward to see.

Although, I have to say this morning I booked SJC-LAS-ELP on WN, whom I haven't flown in years, partly due to this aggravation over seeing R buckets. Normally to make this trip I'd drive from Silicon Valley to SFO (much longer drive, expensive parking, chaos at the airport, far more WXs than SJC), fly 500 miles out of the way to DEN rather than LAS, endure two CRJ flights to/from ELP, etc., and probably still not score an upgrade on SFO-DEN, even with an instrument, much less CPU.

Instead I booked WN, spent $120 less, will be 1.5 hours quicker east, 2.5 hours quicker west, avoid the CRJs, still get free bags. And for $25 more I bought "early bird checkin" which puts me in their equivalent of group 1, even though I have no status. Sure, there's no E+, but I'm on two 1+ hour flights each way, and avoid two CRJs on the trip. Hmmm, this could easily become a habit.

Last edited by Starman; Mar 30, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I've simply stopped buying W fares unless my flights clear at booking. It's refreshing how nice it is NOT to play the W fare lotto even with company money.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Normally to make this trip I'd drive from Silicon Valley to SFO (much longer drive, expensive parking, chaos at the airport, far more WXs than SJC)
Wow, that's loyalty. If people are doing that, just for status, no wonder they want to be richly rewarded for it. But why not fly SJC-DEN-ELP on UA? It's probably easier to upgrade on SJC-DEN, even.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I've simply stopped buying W fares unless my flights clear at booking. It's refreshing how nice it is NOT to play the W fare lotto even with company money.
My problem is that isn't always possible, particularly with the reduced R inventory out there these days. I searched a month-long span for fall vacation, using every European gateway, and it was R=0 across the board. I do have faith a non-summer mid-week IAD-Europe on a widebody will eventually clear, but even trying to be as flexible as possible didn't give me a single option.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Wow, that's loyalty. If people are doing that, just for status, no wonder they want to be richly rewarded for it. But why not fly SJC-DEN-ELP on UA? It's probably easier to upgrade on SJC-DEN, even.
UA has decimated SJC service over the past few years. There used to be 4-5x DEN mainline, 2-3X ORD, and even 1X IAD, in addition to RJ service to LAX. Now ORD and IAD are completely gone, and there's 3-4X DEN, but one or 2 of these are CR7s and even CRJs. Connex to the SW from DEN from SJC now typically require a huge layover in DEN. Loyal as I am, I'm not going to spend 7-8 hours doing SJC-ELP or TUS. Thus the trek to SFO.

And of course, I don't even need the PQMs for status, if I'm willing to just be Platinum for life as a 2MM. I see a lot more of WN in my future.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:21 pm
Suspended

UA has decimated SJC service over the past few years. There used to be 4-5x DEN mainline, 2-3X ORD, and even 1X IAD, in addition to RJ service to LAX. Now ORD and IAD are completely gone, and there's 3-4X DEN, but one or 2 of these are CR7s and even CRJs. Connex to the SW from DEN from SJC now typically require a huge layover in DEN. Loyal as I am, I'm not going to spend 7-8 hours doing SJC-ELP or TUS. Thus the trek to SFO.
Hmm. I picked a random date and the best SJC-ELP connections on UA were 5h18m, 6h36m, and 6h40m. The best SFO-ELP connections on UA were 4h55m, 4h57m, and 5h22m. So you're saving about an hour on average, but is that just trading an hour in traffic to save an hour in the terminal? Not so attractive.

WN and US do SJC-ELP in 4 hours or less, because their hubs are in the right place. That seems like an inherent advantage that UA can't really be expected to overcome.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:50 pm

With EF out of the picture is there any other tool (besides expert mode on .bomb) that I can use to find R fare availability?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by piemel
With EF out of the picture is there any other tool (besides expert mode on .bomb) that I can use to find R fare availability?
EF has been out of the picture for a long time, KVS is the most recent target. There is no commercial alternative available. Even free sites were shutdown during this recent shutdown.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Trying to look for takers on creating a new inventory search tool:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-ef-watt.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:47 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
EF sent out an e-mail yesterday that they have, through partnership with AA/US, reached an agreement to show all of their upgrade and award inventory.

Maybe UA ought to consider following suit, instead of following DL in a race to the bottom.

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer E-Mail
As part of our continued partnership with American Airlines, we are pleased to announce that ExpertFlyer now supports full US Airways Award & Upgrade searching and alerting. The addition of awards and upgrades from US Airways operated flights will complement the existing American Airlines operated award/upgrade data already available to subscribers of ExpertFlyer. In addition Flight Alerts can now be created for award and upgrade inventory for US Airways operated flights.

The newly supported classes are:

O - First - Award/Upgrades, also complimentary Preferred upgrades into First
J - Business - Upgrades into Business using Certificate upgrades for ALL applicable routes
I - Business - Award/Miles Upgrade
X - Economy – Award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.