Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:30 pm

and yes PTY-GIG is Premier upgradable
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
What Copa fare code needs to be available to apply a RPU?

I've seen written here Z, but I've only seen Z available once on a Copa flight, so I'm hoping that's not the case.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
Talking

Another data point, perhaps a good post-merger development? Called Premier line this morning and a very nice, very sweet, very competent UA CSR processed the upgrades in less than 5 mins. I was told it would take 24 hours before I would find out whether the RPUs stuck, but as of 4 pm, COPA's site let me select my seats up front. ^
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle

I have United Gold status and am flying IAD-PTY-SCL next Saturday. Does anyone have experience getting upgrades on COPA?

I know that COPA is part of the MileagePlus program, though they don't share a login page, and the United upgrade page claims "All multi-cabin flights operated by Copa are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades without fare restrictions."

I've got my United MileagePlus number in the COPA system...is it as simple as that or do I need to take any other steps to make sure I'm eligible for an upgrade? The COPA site doesn't acknowledge my M+ Gold status next to my M+ number or anything like that.

I'm one of those people who never got their 2012 card, so I won't have any proof of my status if it's not in the system which make me extra worried (in terms of early boarding, etc. as well as upgrades).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:58 pm

Just make sure your mileageplus number is in the reservation. I had no problems last year being upgraded on MDE-PTY-LAX.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

My girlfriend is doing SCL-PTY-ORD tomorrow. Already upgraded as GS. She was upgraded going south as well.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
It's the same program so it shouldn't matter right?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
As stated before just make sure your FF information is in the reservation and you will get upgraded. This year my upgrade ratio has been 6/8 and the two missed upgrades where PTY-SJO which is very heavy route.

Also if you are traveling with a companion, while checking in that person will be added to the flight upgrade list. This year my GF got upgraded MEX-PTY but missed the PTY-SJO upgrade, while being silver.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by craigsf
I have United Gold status and am flying IAD-PTY-SCL next Saturday.
As everybody else said, the process is automatic. You don't have to do anything.

Normally, I would say your chance of getting a UG as a Gold on IAD-PTY would be 50/50 or worse. As a 1K, I missed once this year and made it by the skin of my teeth all of the other times. However the Saturday 11/24 flight is showing at least 8 open seats up front, which is a lot more than normal, so I think your chances are pretty good.

All three PTY-SCL flights look pretty good too.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Related to this: how is COPAs first/business hard & soft product?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:50 pm

Agree with the other posters - I've been upgraded on Copa with no problems, same as on United and PMCO
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks all! Glad to hear the process is automatic and that I have a pretty good chance on these flights. I'll report how it goes.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:38 am

As report I was upgraded on both legs going down and on neither coming up, so it seems like as a gold member you have a decent chance but far from a sure thing.

As for being the same program, it seems to take several days for the flights to post in my United account (and they never showed as upcoming reservations) so I think while they both MileagePlus they're not actually integrated systems.

The seating is similar to United domestic, no in-seat entertainment (though the magazine implies they're upgrading to it), decent three course meal with choice of entrees plus a pre-landing snack and looked like a decent alcohol selection. Coach had a meal and snack and free (less premium) alcohol too, FYI. PTY lounge was comparable to a United domestic lounge.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I didnt think upgrades were possible on international flights

Wouldnt these upgrades be considered going from Coach to "BF"?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:44 am

COPA fare bucket for instrument-supported upgrades

Sorry if this is obvious, but what's the fare bucket to be used for instrument supported upgrades (specifically, M+ award) on COPA? If I understand correctly, these are NOT *A upgrades, but rather CM is treated as if it were a UA flight for upgrade awards. I see R buckets listed on some but not all of their flights. Is the bucket the same for pure CM flights versus UA code share on CM metal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.