Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by lovejapan
ColorTV, if any consolation, ANA have now gone 3-3-3 for their domestic configuration and it looks as though they could do the same on their next international 787-8 delivery.
Also interesting to note that Qatar Airways has opted for 3-3-3 seating config on their 787 aircraft, although the front cabin (being business class as there apparently is no first class section) will be 1-2-1 config with lie-flat pods.....
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Eracine
Through FT I got the following advice: Just call them and ask to move the upgrade request to only apply to your IAH-LAX segment. They should be able to put you back in Cattle class for your first leg, so you should get your miles back if it doesn't go through for the second leg.
I guess it comes down to whether I think BOS-IAH is worth 20K miles for an upgrade. My gut is it isn't, especially on an A320, but I could use the extra baggage allowance as its the end of classes here in BOS.

Originally Posted by Eracine
Did that in my case (I, too, got my first leg upgraded - and they were able to "downgrade" me). The miles upgrade only for the 787 leg seemed to work. (I wrote "seemed" because I was on 1737 today, which got swapped for a 777. Given the higher number of 1st class seats - 50 vs 36 on the 787 - I managed to get my UDU, so now the open question is whether the system will recognize that and credit me back my 20K miles...)
Didn't your mileage upgrade just put you higher on the airport waitlist, hence getting what appeared to be an UDU when it was actually a waitlisted instrument?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:41 pm

Just arrived at IAH on the return flight of the first UA 787 ETOPS certification flight. Both crews and the equipment were certified by FAA. There were at least 15 pilots as well as a couple of CO mechanics on board, the BF cabin was full! Personally I was impressed by the windows, it makes flying bearable again since I don't feel like flying inside a casket with all shades drawn as seems to be standard now. Otherwise for an aircraft nut like me a bit of a letdown. Seats in BF were rather tight, the foot well felt too small for my size 14 feet. The back was not completely full which I am sure made some pax happy, since it really feels cramped there with the 3-3-3 configuration. Bulkhead and exit seats have enormous legroom and if I ever have to fly in the back that would be my choice. I spoke to a couple of captains who had brought the plane to AMS and they were impressed by the lack of noise in the cockpit. In the cabin I did not feel that much of a difference to other planes, maybe because the second BF cabin sits sort of on top the engines. The BF port side restroom is huge and the auto flush and the automatic water faucet is nice, also liked the way the door opens. Another benefit was the espresso machine, although this seems to be standard on exCO 777 as well. Can't say that I did feel better rested due to the lower pressurization in the cabin, but it has never bothered me before, so it might just be me. All in all a nice experience and nice addition to the fleet, but no wow factor for me.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Also interesting to note that Qatar Airways has opted for 3-3-3 seating config on their 787 aircraft, although the front cabin (being business class as there apparently is no first class section) will be 1-2-1 config with lie-flat pods.....
If you haven't seen it, check out this video of Qatar's 787. They've done a much nice interior than UA (surprise!). Their business seats look awesome, larger footwells than UA's. Their economy seats can't be wider than UA's, since the fuselage didn't get wider. Their seat fabrics look more inviting than UA's drab and dingy dark blue.

UA does have nice lav's though. I guess that's a place to console yourself if the seat gets too uncomfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihnz9Dfbz3A
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:36 am

Following up on my earlier comment about the "no wow factor" for me. It got me thinking that maybe it's just because of UA's configuration. I am booked into a NH 787 next year and will certainly compare. Maybe that's when the "wow factor" arises? Let's see.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon
This would have been a good opportunity to further differentiate E+ from E- by using a 2-4-2 configuration versus 3-3-3 in back. Upgrade the food and service a bit too, maybe even add a small footrest to go along with the extra E+ pitch, and you now have an upgrade worth significant money on a long-haul, just as BA has done with WT+.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Following up on my earlier comment about the "no wow factor" for me. It got me thinking that maybe it's just because of UA's configuration. I am booked into a NH 787 next year and will certainly compare. Maybe that's when the "wow factor" arises? Let's see.
I felt the "wow factor" on ANA's 787's when I flew Japan domestic in May. Their cabins are bright and cheerful, and the dramatic entryway at door 2 does the job Boeing intended. It's a combination of several UA factors including their drab and dull interior, jam packed economy cabins, and that galley at door 2.

In Japan, it seemed everyone knows about the 787. ANA's livery and advertising brag about their special new plane. But other than we aviation buffs and frequent fliers, awareness of the 787 is low here in the USA. United's 787's aren't likely to bring in new fans.

In case you didn't see the link, here's my NH video with a bit more "wow factor":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4i5tyzsmQc
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
This would have been a good opportunity to further differentiate E+ from E- by using a 2-4-2 configuration versus 3-3-3 in back. Upgrade the food and service a bit too, maybe even add a small footrest to go along with the extra E+ pitch, and you now have an upgrade worth significant money on a long-haul, just as BA has done with WT+.
Sounds like what TK has done with Comfort Class...but IIRC they're unfortunately going to start phasing that out, just when it was getting started
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sounds like what TK has done with Comfort Class...but IIRC they're unfortunately going to start phasing that out, just when it was getting started
I should add that even just the 2-4-2 layout alone would neutralize most of the bad PR since the frequent flyers, who are most aware of and vocal about the problems, will generally be traveling in E+.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 am

Just looked at Aviation Week and see that BA also opted for 3-3-3 in the back of the 787. Seems to be becoming the norm now.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by colortv
I felt the "wow factor" on ANA's 787's when I flew Japan domestic in May. Their cabins are bright and cheerful, and the dramatic entryway at door 2 does the job Boeing intended. It's a combination of several UA factors including their drab and dull interior, jam packed economy cabins, and that galley at door 2.

In Japan, it seemed everyone knows about the 787. ANA's livery and advertising brag about their special new plane. But other than we aviation buffs and frequent fliers, awareness of the 787 is low here in the USA. United's 787's aren't likely to bring in new fans.

In case you didn't see the link, here's my NH video with a bit more "wow factor":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4i5tyzsmQc
Big, big difference.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:41 am

Big, big difference.
Apparently ANA is re-configuring their Japan domestic 787's as 3-3-3 in economy. I doubt if they will do that to their international 787's because competing Japan Airlines is 2-4-2.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While I haven't yet flown in a 787, I did take my first 388 flight this year, and it was nothing special. I sat in AF's premium economy seat ^^ on the 388, and in the same premium economy seat on a AF 340, and the experience was just as good there as on the 388. Yes, there is a "new car" feel to a new airplane of any type, but in the end, they are all metal/composite tubes with wings and engines.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 pm

I've now had 3 flights in J on the 787. The ugly truth is these seats are going on 6 years of age (scheduled for installation in 2007)- they are too short and have footwells that are too small relative to other J products.

UA execs can't delude themselves here - the new products going into AA and DL's products are a generation and a class ahead. I can't imagine this seat being installed past 2015...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Didn't your mileage upgrade just put you higher on the airport waitlist, hence getting what appeared to be an UDU when it was actually a waitlisted instrument?
Very good question. How can I tell the difference? In fact, is there even such a thing as a higher priority for upgrade awards over UDU, when within the T-24 window? I thought there wasn't.

The upgrade award was only requested for that flight and on the assumption it would be a 787. At T-24, I was still waitlisted; then as I was en route to IAH (not quite sure of when, exactly) the seat map changed, putting me at #7 on the long upgrade list and with 40 seats already assigned (out of 50). Had the bird remained a 787, the UDU wouldn't have cleared; however the extra 14 seats made available by the 777 swap made the trick. :-)

Don't get me wrong - it was certainly a great ride and I had a ball testing the lie-flat seats of a 777... It's just that this upgrade was only planned to be used on a 787, so it's somewhat frustrating that UA could possibly claim (after the fact) that I got what I asked for anyway - just so they can keep the miles. Hence if I have a way to get those miles back, I'm all for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.