Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I know Chan 9 is on the 787 but how do I find it?
You don't because it is not on the 787s
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jasonvr
You don't because it is not on the 787s
I heard the 787's and 767-400 have it. Its on the fleet list as having it. I guess I'm wrong.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. I couldn't believe how loud the FAs in the gallery appeared to be on my SFO-IAH redeye. Row 1 was so much quieter
Unfortunately the front section seats were all taken by the time I cleared. I think they were mostly savvy FT'ers using RPUs and knew better!

Originally Posted by raehl311
Shortsighted math:

"If we put 9 across instead of 8, we increase our revenues per flight by 12.5%!" (although really more like 5-8% since C/F isn't included)

Or, if your passengers learn that your plane is unbearable to fly in, your revenues decrease by 10-20%.
I can see it now, just like the complaints on legroom led to E+, I can see E++ rows coming with an 8 across section. E+ should have been made 8 across and people would really see a difference worth paying for.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I heard the 787's and 767-400 have it. Its on the fleet list as having it. I guess I'm wrong.
I believe they are technically capable, but because these birds are all pmCO orders, none of them have it. I believe they will be "upgraded" at a later date. Odd that the fleet site shows them with Chan 9.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I can see it now, just like the complaints on legroom led to E+, I can see E++ rows coming with an 8 across section. E+ should have been made 8 across and people would really see a difference worth paying for.
Now that makes sense! I like the way you think. I just wish United thought that way. Maybe enough people will complain and they'll consider the idea for the future.

I'm resigned to Y, my budget. E+ legroom is worth the extra cost. I want to fly on this a/c. There are so many nice things about it. But damned if I will do long hauls and feel jammed for hours like a city bus or a subway car. There are options, but I'd like to fly this a/c I've been excited about for so long.

I hope the UA/CO crew who are hearing complaints pass them on to those who will get the word to where it needs to go. I sent UA my thoughts and they responded politely. It's gonna take a lot more people than a few of us to get the point across. Right now I assume UA management is reveling in their own "reality distortion field." It would be a pity if they ignore passenger concerns.

I wonder what other airlines with 787 3-3-3 are hearing?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by colortv
Thanks for the comment about my video. Glad you enjoyed it.

These UA 787's were ordered by CO. I wonder if the a/c ordered by UA will have the same crummy bland interiors as this first batch. The cushions are very firm on all Y seats. With thinner padding they would be bad news. My knees ached after the flight too but the seats didn't seem lower than normal. I chalked it up to foul mood after being squeezed against the wall for 3+ hours by the middle seat passenger who spilled over into my space.

If the crews are getting complaints about rubbing shoulders in Y on these domestic flights, they're really gonna hear about it when the long hauls start in a couple of weeks. It's a shame this nice a/c is being misconfigured. Surely we early adopters won't be the only disappointed flyers. But there's no getting around it. Most 787's will be 3-3-3. Thankfully there are other airlines and a/c to choose from.
The CO style seat patterns will be the standard going forward so all new deliveries will come equipped with that pattern.

Now that makes sense! I like the way you think. I just wish United thought that way. Maybe enough people will complain and they'll consider the idea for the future.

I'm resigned to Y, my budget. E+ legroom is worth the extra cost. I want to fly on this a/c. There are so many nice things about it. But damned if I will do long hauls and feel jammed for hours like a city bus or a subway car. There are options, but I'd like to fly this a/c I've been excited about for so long.

I hope the UA/CO crew who are hearing complaints pass them on to those who will get the word to where it needs to go. I sent UA my thoughts and they responded politely. It's gonna take a lot more people than a few of us to get the point across. Right now I assume UA management is reveling in their own "reality distortion field." It would be a pity if they ignore passenger concerns.

I wonder what other airlines with 787 3-3-3 are hearing?
I believe most airlines with the exception of ANA & JAL are going with 3x3x3 seating in Y. Also I believe in another thread somewhere, someone mentioned ANA was going 3x3x3 on 787s flown domestically.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 21, 2012 at 2:52 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The CO style seat patterns will be the standard going forward so all new deliveries will come equipped with that pattern.
Yup. No hope.

David
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:46 am

Here's a quote from the "787 Economy Class Reviews" forum regarding Qatar's 787 3-3-3 economy seats (16.9"), even narrower than UA's (17.3"). The poster is not the only one to report his dissatisfaction with the cramped Y on 787's.

Originally Posted by Daniel1976
hi i have just been on the 787 doha-dubai it was the worst seat ever, i agree the head rest was good but the seat was hard, no leg room seat box was in the way I'm only 5'11 and my knees were hitting the seat in front, I would avoid this aircraft at all cost even for a 1 hour flight

the seat pan moves forward so no way that you could move if you were bigger than me, my partner is 6ft4 knees were hard against the seat in front that person could not recline at all or he would not be able to sit, for a 5 star airline to have 31 inch pitch is jut a joke, no perm economy I am not sure what they were thinking AVOID AT ALL COST
I'm afraid this a/c with 3-3-3 in Y is going to earn an unfortunate reputation with those of us who find ourselves flying Y class.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Here's a quote from the "787 Economy Class Reviews" forum regarding Qatar's 787 3-3-3 economy seats (16.9"), even narrower than UA's (17.3"). The poster is not the only one to report his dissatisfaction with the cramped Y on 787's.

I'm afraid this a/c with 3-3-3 in Y is going to earn an unfortunate reputation with those of us who find ourselves flying Y class.
I'm going to guess if more complaints do happen, that eventually someone will listen and someone will change it. It's Boeings fault for even giving the customer the option...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I'm going to guess if more complaints do happen, that eventually someone will listen and someone will change it. It's Boeings fault for even giving the customer the option...
You can't really blame Boeing for this as high-density seating has long been used in many markets where people are extremely price-sensitive. The blame lies squarely with airlines trying to squeeze every penny out of what they believe to be captive markets. One hopes that enough U.S. passengers will find better alternatives that UA (and others in the future) will realize that this sort of configuration is a bad idea.

Of course the irony here for UA is that Smisek's only answer to how they're going to win back corporate flyers has been the 787, which is quickly gaining a reputation as disappointing at best. Wonder what kind of promises he'll be making next year.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
You can't really blame Boeing for this as high-density seating has long been used in many markets where people are extremely price-sensitive. The blame lies squarely with airlines trying to squeeze every penny out of what they believe to be captive markets. One hopes that enough U.S. passengers will find better alternatives that UA (and others in the future) will realize that this sort of configuration is a bad idea.

Of course the irony here for UA is that Smisek's only answer to how they're going to win back corporate flyers has been the 787, which is quickly gaining a reputation as disappointing at best. Wonder what kind of promises he'll be making next year.
No doubt UA and Boeing are all giddy about the new airplane. Boeing has every right to be proud. I get that pilots love flying it, glad it saves fuel and I mostly enjoy the high tech goodies.

We can't blame Boeing for these bad configurations. They need their airline customers to be profitable. But both Boeing and the airlines are deluding themselves if they think the new features overcome bad seats. They assume passengers will be so wowed by the cool 787 tricks they won't mind being crammed into a tight fitting tube. Initially, maybe. But the new airplane swoon will wear off. And then it comes down to comfort. 3-3-3 in a 787 = FAIL!

Here's a report from a passenger who flew Y on an ANA 787 NRT-SEA. Note that he's pleased with the roomy Y seat in ANA's 2-4-2 configuration. It's definitely possible to LOVE a Dreamliner in Y. But we'll have to seek out airlines that understand passenger comfort.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/...b_2346385.html

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have already made a rule to not book an international Y seat on United unless I can confirm an upgrade upon purchase. I got burned too many times on the subW->W price spread that I paid and then not cleared. [I did recently buy up to V on LH for a chance to upgrade but only $80/ticket]

So, that and the 787 seat risk, provides more reinforcement to that policy.
If I have to fly Y, I will fly another *A carrier, not UA.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: MYOB

Originally Posted by Daniel1976

hi i have just been on the 787 doha-dubai it was the worst seat ever, i agree the head rest was good but the seat was hard, no leg room seat box was in the way I'm only 5'11 and my knees were hitting the seat in front, I would avoid this aircraft at all cost even for a 1 hour flight

the seat pan moves forward so no way that you could move if you were bigger than me, my partner is 6ft4 knees were hard against the seat in front that person could not recline at all or he would not be able to sit, for a 5 star airline to have 31 inch pitch is jut a joke, no perm economy I am not sure what they were thinking AVOID AT ALL COST
The flyer quoted was complaining of the seat pitch (31") not width. The UA 787s Y seat pitch is 32 and Y(E)+ is min 35.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Untrue.

The more pleasant IPTE-style blue seat covers will be the standard going forward. They are currently being installed on the 757 refurbs.

Seats require extensive lead times, which is why you see the checkerboard on the reconfigured CO aircraft and new deliveries - they predate the merger, including the equipment in the pmUA 763s - which were transferred over from other CO 767s which are now not going to be reconfigured.

The seat covers in the 757 were ordered post-merger.

Here's some pictures an ex-CO mechanic from TPA posted on another website:

i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/CALTECHphoto/20121112_115557.jpg
i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/CALTECHphoto/20121112_221524.jpg
i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/CALTECHphoto/20121112_221600.jpg

Last edited by tuolumne; Dec 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Untrue.

The more pleasant IPTE-style blue seat covers will be the standard going forward. They are currently being installed on the 757 refurbs.

Seats require extensive lead times, which is why you see the checkerboard on the reconfigured CO aircraft and new deliveries - they predate the merger, including the equipment in the pmUA 763s - which were transferred over from other CO 767s which are now not going to be reconfigured.

The seat covers in the 757 were ordered post-merger.

Here's some pictures an ex-CO mechanic from TPA posted on another website:

i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/CALTECHphoto/20121112_115557.jpg
i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/CALTECHphoto/20121112_221524.jpg
i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/CALTECHphoto/20121112_221600.jpg

Not to side track from the wonderful 787 flying experiences, but are you saying the wretched CO park benches in F and Y are going to replaced with UA seats over time? It looks like the UA domestic F seats too in the photos if that's truly an old CO plane...or am I being overly hopeful reading into this? (i.e., just 757s or will the 737s get upgraded too?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.