Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by djmp
Cockpit door wasn't locking according to the scuttlebutt at the gate. Part swap needed.
Just replaced it with a standard unlocked 787 bathroom door. Any terrorist would take 30 minutes to figure out how to open it, and that's enough time for pax and crew to bring him down.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
If you're interested, I posted some photos from my recent SFO-IAH flight on the 787 in this flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfosket...7631972581304/

I tried to catch the main features of interest: The slightly-narrower economy seats, the massive bins, the window, the AC/USB outlets, and the business class seats. I didn't get up to first, but I'll be sitting there next month and will upload some more photos soon.

Again, this is the second United Dreamliner, N26906.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nice pics - is that first Y seat by the exit door like 12" wide?!?! Has to be an optical illusion. But I would NOT want to be stuck there.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pedxing
I didn't get up to first, but I'll be sitting there next month and will upload some more photos soon.
There is no proper first class cabin. Those business class seats you saw are marketed as United First for the domestic flights.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Olton Hall
On EWR-IAH on Saturday I had a Y window seat and can confirm the shoulder room is tight and felt confining. I was not comfortable and I had the row to myself. I was fine with aisle seating on other flights with a passenger in the middle seat.
I was also on this flight in 17L and can also confirm that it was really uncomfortable sitting in the window seat. I'm a big guy but had the middle empty so otherwise it wasn't so bad except for the lack of shoulder room. Looks like 16L or 18L would have been much better.

I wouldn't fly on this plane in economy intentionally again unless I could get an e+ asile seat.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nice pics - is that first Y seat by the exit door like 12" wide?!?! Has to be an optical illusion. But I would NOT want to be stuck there.
Hahaha! I was using a wide lens (24 mm equivalent) so there is some off-center distortion. In reality the seats are all the same width, or near to it!

Originally Posted by greendx
I was also on this flight in 17L and can also confirm that it was really uncomfortable sitting in the window seat. I'm a big guy but had the middle empty so otherwise it wasn't so bad except for the lack of shoulder room. Looks like 16L or 18L would have been much better.

I wouldn't fly on this plane in economy intentionally again unless I could get an e+ asile seat.
I was in 16L, and you might not like that either due to the solid armrest/traytable monolith. It's very slim but very unforgiving!

16A and 16L do have two windows, though, and all of row 16 has great legroom! Plus, the huge bins mean you're likely to find a spot for your carry-on bag!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by greendx
May I ask why 18L might be better than 17L? I now have 17L on one of my upcoming 787 flights but I'm only 5'7".
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by MtRoot
May I ask why 18L might be better than 17L? I now have 17L on one of my upcoming 787 flights but I'm only 5'7".
How wide are your shoulders? The seats are pressed tightly against the wall of the plane, your shoulder will be pressed into by the sidewall of the plane as it is aligned that way in 17L. Some other seats your shoulder will press against the window, giving a little more room. Legroom wise you're fine though.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:08 am
RNE

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
How wide are your shoulders? The seats are pressed tightly against the wall of the plane...
This is a plus for me, despite my having broad shoulders. You see, I sleep comfortably with my head in the "corner" formed by the seatback and the wall. On most planes that ability is hampered by a gap (sometimes substantial) between the two surfaces. To fill it, I'd have to use a pillow (when there were pillows) or a rolled-up jacket. Neither worked very well.

RNE, all the sadder that the sweet price I was seeing on the 787 LAX-NRT in late March has soured.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A question for anyone who can make the comparison - is there ANY difference in the BF experience on the 787 vs. the 777, other than more narrow aisles? I'm not referring to any 787 new tech benefits (mood lighting, big bins, etc), but just in how UA decided to "outfit" this thing.

Also, anecdotally the 757 BF seats seem a bit shorter than the 777s...where does the 787 seat fall in this spectrum length-wise?
I was on the 787 on Sat from EWR to IAH and I was in BF or First (whatever they call it domestically). I am hard pressed to see much difference in the BF experience on the 787 versus the 777 or 757 (both of which I have been on). Yeah the windows are larger and have the tinting feature. The seats seemed the same to me as the 777/757. Oddly enough, the aisleway seemed more tight on the 787 than it is on the other aircraft.....at least up front. Of course the plane was all new and fresh and clean so that is always a welcome thing. Climbout from EWR seemed unusually steep (I enjoyed it).

One thing I have to say is that UA (CO) uses the most bland non-distinctive interiors of any carrier I know. Virtually no sign of color or branding anywhere in the cabin that I could see. Asian and European carriers do a much better job of creating an interior ambiance that is attractive, welcoming, and with obvious branding. Walking into the BF cabin on the 787 was like walking into an operating room. Very stark and clinical looking.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Disappointed that UA1243 was delayed from IAH-LAX today and was ultimately replaced with a 767. Ruined my first day of vacation making a needless stop in Houston with resulting delays just to experience the new bird. I heard they did the same thing the previous day, too. Warning to not get too attached to riding on this craft - there are obviously some kinks that need to be worked out.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
How many people on board do you think booked the flight because it was a 787. Did they announce in the gate area about the aircraft change and explain.

Any news on replacing the cancelled on day service to IAD/CLE.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by urbanventurer
Disappointed that UA1243 was delayed from IAH-LAX today and was ultimately replaced with a 767. Ruined my first day of vacation making a needless stop in Houston with resulting delays just to experience the new bird. I heard they did the same thing the previous day, too. Warning to not get too attached to riding on this craft - there are obviously some kinks that need to be worked out.
My flight on Saturday from EWR to IAH was delayed by nearly 3 hours. Late inbound from IAH was the issue. Seems they have not built much slack into the schedule of this bird.....so any delay or issue it has results in a domino effect for days.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I was on the 787 x2 on Friday. EWR-IAH (a day of swap from a 767) and IAH-SFO. I agree with others that the plane itself is pretty cool. Big windows, huge overhead bins, and slick lavs. I really like the "sunglasses" effect of the windows allowing one to still see out of the window even when dimmed. They do get pretty dark but the reaction isn't instant. I think the ride was quieter that a 767 and I convinced myself it was smoother, but that's hard to judge.

I do have to say, however, the UA crews really dimmed the experience. On the ex-EWR flight the crew was better, used the fancy lighting and talked up the plane their service however was standard domestic quality. Sitting in row 6 I did not get a choice in meals (even as a GS) and the crew disappeared after the meal service. On the second flight it was worse. The crew did not use the fancy lighting the lights were either full on or full off (no transitions), again no meal choice for GS the FA taking orders said they don't do that anymore and it's strictly front to back. On both fights the IFE acted up but on the 2nd the FA reset it once and when it froze again about 2 hrs later he never got around to doing it again and implied I was "going too fast".

All in all a pretty cool plane but no one should not have any higher expectations from the crew than a typical UA flight.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
How many people on board do you think booked the flight because it was a 787. Did they announce in the gate area about the aircraft change and explain.

Any news on replacing the cancelled on day service to IAD/CLE.
Honestly, I'm not sure how many people were affected. I arrived at IAH around noon to find that my doomed 787 flight had been delayed three times while I was enroute to IAH. When I got the email that the scheduled departure time would be 19:30, I checked the UA app to see where the aircraft originated. It was buried in the app where I discovered it would be a 767. A United Club agent helped me and confirmed that there was, indeed, an aircraft change. She seemed a little empathetic and frustrated for me, as I got the feeling it has been a common occurrence since the plane went into service. I'll begin the battle with MP customer care today to see what they are willing to do to console me wish me luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.