Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
The requirement to purchase ticket(s) with the applicable United MileagePlus card will be waived for flights completed during the first 90 days following a new primary Cardmember’s account open date.
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Archive thread: Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 10:01 pm

Must buy tix with card? 2nd bag free int'l? Chase United Business CC

I recently received the Chase United Business and am trying to clarify about the free bag provision for an upcoming booking.
  1. Do I have to pay for the flight with my Chase United Business card in order to get the free bag benefit? (Or is it like the American Express Delta SkyMiles - and all that matters is that I have the card?)
  2. On my international booking, I'm entitled to a free checked bag. Since I have the card, does that mean a second checked bag is also free?
Old May 26, 2022, 10:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tayas
I recently received the Chase United Business and am trying to clarify about the free bag provision for an upcoming booking.
1. Do I have to pay for the flight with my Chase United Business card in order to get the free bag benefit?
Yes and best if directly from UA, can get iffy if purchased via other sources

Thread's wiki has the actual T&Cs

Originally Posted by tayas
2. On my international booking, I'm entitled to a free checked bag. Since I have the card, does that mean a second checked bag is also free?
Unclear which card you have, there are multiple Chase MP Business cards. If you card is first bag free (Explorer) then no, The benefits do not stack and each benefit is "first bag free"
tayas likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:30 am

Thanks for the helpful reply!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Unclear which card you have, there are multiple Chase MP Business cards. If you card is first bag free (Explorer) then no, The benefits do not stack and each benefit is "first bag free"
I have the Chase United Business (It's on the Chase website /business/credit-cards/united-business-cards/united-business-card/travel-benefits). If I understand you correctly and what I think I see in this thread, then if my international ticket entitles me to one bag, that's all I get. The credit card doesn't actually help with luggage in this scenario.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Bought three UA r/t tickets on a Saturday using points, but paying for a seat assignment in E+ on the outbound segment. Seat assignments ($120 x 3) plus TSA fees ($11.20 x 3) = $393.60. During the purchase process, I applied for a UA Explorer credit card, both for the $300 statement credit and because I should get one free checked bag for myself and one free for my companion. I understand 3rd person on this trip will not get a free bag. However, the application for the UA Explorer card went into a pending status. Because it was Saturday, I could not get anyone from Chase on the phone. I continued to book my flight using a different credit card.

Early Monday morning (today) I called Chase and got the card approved by giving them access to the appropriate credit bureau.

Given all these events, is there a way I could get UA to move the charge for the flights from the original card to my new UA Explorer card without having to go through a full cancel and rebook (which might cost me more money and/or points)? Further, flight is less than 30 days out, which means move the flight to later in July/August, then cancel, then rebook.

R/T bags is $120, so I would like to save that. However, I just checked and 3 tickets now is more than the total number of points I started with, so I assume cancel and rebook is not an option, as they would want the current price in points.

Last edited by FCfree; Jun 6, 2022 at 12:09 pm Reason: Updated facts regarding cancel/rebook cost
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FCfree
... Given all these events, is there a way I could get UA to move the charge for the flights from the original card to my new UA Explorer card without having to go through a full cancel and rebook (which might cost me more money and/or points)? . ....
Some have been successful switching card in the first 24 hours, after that it would require a more complicated process. Doubt you will be successful at this point, if you had high status may be (but then you would not need the bag fee waiver)

Originally Posted by FCfree
... However, the application for the UA Explorer card went into a pending status. Because it was Saturday, I could not get anyone from Chase on the phone. I continued to book my flight using a different credit card. ...
Would have been a good time for a award farelock if an all UA Itin
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Would have been a good time for a award farelock if an all UA Itin
Yes, in retrospect, I should have done a fare lock. It was 100% UA, including UA landline bus.

I will likely have 3 checked bags (one per person). If I pay for the 3rd person’s bags with the UA CC, would that be enough to get the other 2 bag fees waived? Seems like no but will try at the airport.

It’s this little “here’s an offer but oh you didn’t follow the rules to the letter so no, you don’t get 2 free bags this time” kind of stuff that irks me. I tried to follow the rules, but booking on a weekend and nobody available at Chase to work out the details is the cause.

At least UA had a non-stop where SWA did not.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Will pre-paying for one bag w/ new card do the trick? Maybe get 2 bags free? I'm not sure if bag fees count towards waiver of bag fees
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:32 am

Finally below 5/24

I have an existing flight booked with miles, if I were to sign up for the chase united credit card would I get a free checked bag (mind you that I paid the taxes/fees already)?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
I have an existing flight booked with miles, if I were to sign up for the chase united credit card would I get a free checked bag (mind you that I paid the taxes/fees already)?
No. The card must be used to purchase the ticket in order to receive the free bag benefit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:44 pm

Hello. I have a family of 3 flying domestic tomorrow. All 3 seats are under different PNR #s due to using up travel certificates and future flight credits. I have a United Explorer Credit Card that I used to pay the balance due on all 3 tickets, but it's telling me online only I will get one free bag, I assume due to the 3 different bookings. Is there a way to talk to an agent at the airport to get a checked bag free for one of my two companions, which would have been the case had we all been on the same reservation?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by canes98
... it's telling me online only I will get one free bag, I assume due to the 3 different bookings. ,,,
That is the way the policy/benefit is written. You can ask at check-in but expect a negative answer (but worth a polite try).
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:01 pm

I want to use Travel Bank funds to pay for a flight but I'd also like to preserve the free bags that come with my Club card. Is it enough to partial pay with Chase card? Will that extend the benefit to all the tickets on my trip? Is there a minimum I need to charge? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Searching the tread it seems that the answer is yes I'll get the full benefit as long as any portion, even a trivial amount, is charge to the Chase Club card. Do I have that correct?
SPN Lifer and Wooglin like this.

Last edited by time_stamp; Jun 30, 2022 at 1:07 pm Reason: Search Results
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase UA Card Benefits if Booked Through Chase Portal?

I booked a flight through the Chase portal and cashed in some UR points, but charged the rest to my Chase UA Explorer card. Will I still get the free checked bag and group 2 boarding on the flight? I realized that United sees a credit card number that is different than mine.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:14 pm

Free bag after cancel and rebook?

Currently have two passengers booked with Chase card and free bag reflected on reservation. The price has dropped by $90 each. Looking to get a credit for the difference.

If I cancel and rebook using the credit I'll get from the cancellation, will I still get the free bag?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by hellyea
Currently have two passengers booked with Chase card and free bag reflected on reservation. The price has dropped by $90 each. Looking to get a credit for the difference.

If I cancel and rebook using the credit I'll get from the cancellation, will I still get the free bag?
Just wanting to post my experience as a data point.
  1. Booked tickets with explorer card. Received free bag allowance.
  2. Cancelled reservation. Used flight credit to buy same flights at cheaper fare. No purchase amount on explorer card Received free bag allowance.
  3. Cancelled reservation from #2. Used flight credit from this cancellation to buy same flights at cheaper fare. No purchase amount on explorer card. Received free bag allowance.
I suspect they somehow tie the allowance to the future flight credit if it was originally eligible for the free bags. It's a good thing.
jsloan and joban like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.