Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
The requirement to purchase ticket(s) with the applicable United MileagePlus card will be waived for flights completed during the first 90 days following a new primary Cardmember’s account open date.
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Archive thread: Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot
I understand you can only do this within a 30 day window of paying your annual fee.
I'd love to be wrong.
If you cancel a premium Chase card—that is, one with an AF—you have to do it w/in 30 days of the statement or you won’t get the AF refunded.

If, OTOH, you downgrade said card at any time to a lower- or no-fee card, you get a pro rata refund.

This gets discussed regularly in Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? 2020 - 2022
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:18 pm

Need Advice on United Credit Card Bag Privileges for Honeymoon

Would appreciate any insight/advice anyone can offer...

A couple months ago I booked three award flights (two of which are for my honeymoon) as a single booking to take advantage of the United Excursionist Perk. I paid for the taxes and fees with my United Business card which will give my soon-to-be-wife and me one checked bag each for free.

Since then, my fiancée has signed up for the United Club card which would give us two bags each, but those privileges (which would be really advantageous for a three week honeymoon) will not apply to this booking because the United Club card wasn't used to pay the taxes/fees.

Canceling and rebooking is not an option because the award prices have risen astronomically within the last couple months.

Does anyone know of any clever ways to change the booking that would incur a small fee that could be paid with the United Club card and thus hopefully apply the associated baggage privileges? Or is there no way to do that at this point because the taxes and fees have already been paid with a different card?

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by neo848943
Does anyone know of any clever ways to change the booking that would incur a small fee that could be paid with the United Club card and thus hopefully apply the associated baggage privileges? Or is there no way to do that at this point because the taxes and fees have already been paid with a different card?
Short answer, likely none. -- a very common question and no recently report new workarounds

In the past purchase E+ access with the new card worked but most recent reports are negative. Perhaps purchasing a cash upgrade is an option as either a new payment method or increased bag allowance (note this does not apply to E+ as it is still economy cabin)

and UA does not allow switching of card credit long after purchase
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Short answer, likely none. -- a very common question and no recently report new workarounds

In the past purchase E+ access with the new card worked but most recent reports are negative. Perhaps purchasing a cash upgrade is an option as either a new payment method or increased bag allowance (note this does not apply to E+ as it is still economy cabin)

and UA does not allow switching of card credit long after purchase
Thank you! I'm curious about the recent reports of E+ access not working... Where have those been reported? When E+ access did work to apply the bag credit, did it typically work for all legs of the booking even if only purchased for a single leg?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you! I'm curious about the recent reports of E+ access not working... Where have those been reported? When E+ access did work to apply the bag credit, did it typically work for all legs of the booking even if only purchased for a single leg?
This thread (and the pre-2019 archive, see link in the wiki) is the best place to search for those experience, my memory is not that good
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:20 pm

I scanned the thread, didn't see anything that looked like it was a comparable situation - I bought tickets with my united business card, and the ticketing appropriately showed the free bags attached to the reservation. I then added a flight to the itinerary, using a different credit card - and now the system no longer shows the free bags. I chatted with UA support - they said on their end it still shows the free bags, but both the app and online disagree. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple months ago I booked three award flights (two of which are for my honeymoon) as a single booking to take advantage of the United Excursionist Perk. I paid for the taxes and fees with my United Business card which will give my soon-to-be-wife and me one checked bag each for free.
Just a reminder that the free baggage allowance will only apply when checking in with UA. If any of your flights start with a leg on another carrier, the waiver will not apply. (Most ExPerk itineraries involve at least one check-in with a partner airline, so I figured I'd mention it).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lawyered220
I scanned the thread, didn't see anything that looked like it was a comparable situation - I bought tickets with my united business card, and the ticketing appropriately showed the free bags attached to the reservation. I then added a flight to the itinerary, using a different credit card - and now the system no longer shows the free bags. I chatted with UA support - they said on their end it still shows the free bags, but both the app and online disagree. Does anyone have experience with this?
UA website has notoriously been terrible at correctly displaying the correct number of bags. I have a flight next month that the UA site says I am currently eligible for "14 free bags each" (and there are 7 of us).

If your ticket receipt shows $0/bag, you're fine.

The website/app will most likely be correct by the time you check-in, which is ultimately the only time matters.

And on the off-chance it still isn't, (and the agent who takes your bags can't correct it), just pay the baggage fee and file for a refund on UA's website after travel completes. They'll refund it in ~48h.
lawyered220 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:19 am

Explorer card baggage while earning with M&M

Title says it all -- is it possible to get free bags while earning with Miles & More?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: UA
Yes, if I understand correctly, you get the free Explorer card bags when you use the Explorer card to pay for the flight, so you can still choose to credit to M&M when you enter your frequent flyer information.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Seanish
... is it possible to get free bags while earning with Miles & More?
Yes but not easily

The Explorer bag fee benefit is tied to you UA MP account and unless you have that in the reservation / PNR at check-in, the computer will not get you the bag fee waiver.

So you will need to initial have the UA MP account in the reservation AND after bag check, change it to your M&M account. Best not to ask the check in agent to do this but use a self check-in Kiosk after the bag drop to change accounts. Note the bag waiver is only applicable when checking in with UA.

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:37 am

If I cancel a flight that I booked with my MP Explorer card, and subsequently cancel that reservation - do I still get a free checked bag when I use the original reservation's flight credit to book a new flight? Cost of new ticket would be less than the cost of the original ticket so I wouldn't be able to charge more on my card.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by hur88
If I cancel a flight that I booked with my MP Explorer card, and subsequently cancel that reservation - do I still get a free checked bag when I use the original reservation's flight credit to book a new flight? Cost of new ticket would be less than the cost of the original ticket so I wouldn't be able to charge more on my card.
I would call in when making this reservation to ensure the free bag is applied
Old May 16, 2022, 8:28 pm

Hi

I booked 3 pp on a same booking paid with Travel bank fund and a UA PP card. The e ticket email said there will be fee for the first and second bags. After that, it states "Presidential Plus Card member and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of service charges for first and second checked bags (within specified size and weight limits)."
Should I be concern about the bag fee language? Appreciate any insight!
Old May 16, 2022, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
I booked 3 pp on a same booking paid with Travel bank fund and a UA PP card. The e ticket email said there will be fee for the first and second bags. After that, it states "Presidential Plus Card member and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of service charges for first and second checked bags (within specified size and weight limits)."
Should I be concern about the bag fee language? Appreciate any insight!
Because you have three people and only two will have the first two bags fee waived, there will be fees for the third traveler if they are checking bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.