FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1393305-mileage-plus-branded-credit-card-checked-baggage-fees.html)

rj123456 Jan 3, 2022 10:49 pm

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

If I use my United Explorer card to pay the ticketing fees for a (US Domestic) Lifemiles award ticket on United, does the cardholder and a co-passenger on the same PNR still each get a free checked bag?

WineCountryUA Jan 4, 2022 12:33 am

Originally Posted by rj123456 (Post 33869007)
If I use my United Explorer card to pay the ticketing fees for a (US Domestic) Lifemiles award ticket on United, does the cardholder and a co-passenger on the same PNR still each get a free checked bag?

While I am pretty sure the bag waiver only applies to UA issued ticket, nothing in the T&Cs stated that.

However when booking with another carrier, UA will have not information on how the payment was made. So I would suggest no bag waiver.

Erin Barker Jan 5, 2022 8:36 am

New United Explorer Card

I was just approved after a delay over the weekend during ticketing for this new card. Once approved, I went back and bought the tickets. Unfortunately had to transfer an additional 4K UR points to cover the increase in cost. I didn't have my physical card, but was able to join it to apple pay to make my purchase through the app. (I did verify on United.com that it was an acceptable form of payment)

The reservation ticketed at Economy (X) instead of XN - Should I be concerned that they won't recognize my card purchase for the benefits of free 1st checked bag and such? The apply pay recorded a different last 4 on my purchase than the actual card - i guess that is for security, but will it mess up my benefits?

tx_wiingman Jan 5, 2022 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Erin Barker (Post 33873353)
I was just approved after a delay over the weekend during ticketing for this new card. Once approved, I went back and bought the tickets. Unfortunately had to transfer an additional 4K UR points to cover the increase in cost. I didn't have my physical card, but was able to join it to apple pay to make my purchase through the app. (I did verify on United.com that it was an acceptable form of payment)

The reservation ticketed at Economy (X) instead of XN - Should I be concerned that they won't recognize my card purchase for the benefits of free 1st checked bag and such? The apply pay recorded a different last 4 on my purchase than the actual card - i guess that is for security, but will it mess up my benefits?

When is your flight? Give UA and Chase a few days/2 weeks to update all your information in their appropriate databases and you should be fine. If your flight is less than 2 weeks out, you may be out of luck.

Erin Barker Jan 5, 2022 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tx_wiingman (Post 33873934)
When is your flight? Give UA and Chase a few days/2 weeks to update all your information in their appropriate databases and you should be fine. If your flight is less than 2 weeks out, you may be out of luck.

January 22. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

tx_wiingman Jan 5, 2022 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Erin Barker (Post 33873992)
January 22. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You should be fine. Keep checking your Mileage Plus account on your United app. Should see some changes in a week or two.

Bidu Jan 5, 2022 9:22 pm

I have united quest and mileageplus visa card. Bought domestic flight ticket using travel credit via amextravel n paid the difference using amex card. The system wont allow me to rebook using united website.
am i out of luck for the free baggage allowance?

WineCountryUA Jan 5, 2022 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bidu (Post 33875517)
I have united quest and mileageplus visa card. ....

But not used to make the purchase?

Originally Posted by Bidu (Post 33875517)
... Bought domestic flight ticket using travel credit via amextravel n paid the difference using amex card. The system wont allow me to rebook using united website.
am i out of luck for the free baggage allowance?

Yes, no bag fee waiver if the Chase MP cards were not used.

Mgoblueno1 Jan 21, 2022 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Erin Barker (Post 33873353)

Did this end up working? Chase doesn't give instant card numbers so this is next best option

sony2012 Jan 27, 2022 10:25 am

chase baggage benefit on LH codeshare on United

I am trying to book a ticket with United but I found a website that has substantially cheaper price than United. I have a round trip ticket with two direct flights in and out of Europe with United but the website books them on LH codeshare (but both flights are on United, no LH flight is included in the itinerary). I will pay the ticket with my Chase united card to claim the baggage claim but is it still eligible? I don't see anything on their terms that would prevent me from claiming it by booking a ticket through a travel agent with LH code (except there is one line where it says no codeshares other than UA, which I read as LH flight with UA codeshare...) Any experience on this?

WineCountryUA Jan 27, 2022 10:46 am

Originally Posted by sony2012 (Post 33940583)
I am trying to book a ticket with United but I found a website that has substantially cheaper price than United. I have a round trip ticket with two direct flights in and out of Europe with United but the website books them on LH codeshare (but both flights are on United, no LH flight is included in the itinerary). I will pay the ticket with my Chase united card to claim the baggage claim but is it still eligible? ...

Yes, as long as you are bag checking directly with UA and have you MP account on the reservation.

The one potential issue is the 3rd party website does not report method of purchase to UA -- this has been an issue in some cases.

climbingbear Feb 1, 2022 9:12 pm

My situation. I have United travel bank funds I want to use, but my wife has the United Quest card. If I book the ticket in my account (to use the travel bank funds) and use her card to pay the remaining balance (let's say $50), will we get 2 free check bags each?

WineCountryUA Feb 1, 2022 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by climbingbear (Post 33956154)
My situation. I have United travel bank funds I want to use, but my wife has the United Quest card. If I book the ticket in my account (to use the travel bank funds) and use her card to pay the remaining balance (let's say $50), will we get 2 free check bags each?

Yes, as long as her UA MP account is part of her ticket.

tya Feb 13, 2022 1:21 am

I have a question about the free bag allowance from Chase co-branded credit cards. T&C states that

o receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation

Does that mean I will have to credit the miles into MileagePlus? Can I not take advantage of the credit card bag allowance while crediting the miles to other Star partners?

WineCountryUA Feb 13, 2022 10:18 am

Originally Posted by tya (Post 33987269)
... Does that mean I will have to credit the miles into MileagePlus? Can I not take advantage of the credit card bag allowance while crediting the miles to other Star partners?

Short answer is yes, the MP account must be in the PNR at the time of bag checki

It is via your MP number UA is aware you used the appropriate credit card.

An option is to change the crediting program after checking your bag.