Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
The requirement to purchase ticket(s) with the applicable United MileagePlus card will be waived for flights completed during the first 90 days following a new primary Cardmember’s account open date.
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Archive thread: Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Avis
Credit Card (Quest) Free Checked Bags

Before I signed up for a United Quest visa card, I had purchased a flight for a SCUBA trip. Because I did not buy the flight using the credit card, there is a fee to check luggage. However, on a completely unrelated itinerary, similar situation, I changed my flights and incurred a $4.00 change in taxes. I paid those $4 in taxes on my new CC and despite only $4 on that CC, now that itinerary shows I will receive free checked luggage.

I am curious what qualifies for a change to the itinerary to receive the benefits of checked luggage. Clearly a change in flight taxes work, but would adding economy plus seating for example do the trick? The itinerary I really want the free luggage for is a SCUBA trip.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djc205
I am curious what qualifies for a change to the itinerary to receive the benefits of checked luggage. Clearly a change in flight taxes work, but would adding economy plus seating for example do the trick? ...
The purchase of E+ access has worked in the past, but there was some reports when ut did not -- unclear why. We need more recent experiences.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:39 pm

I had a trip planned for this month on UA, which was booked on my United Infinite Club credit card. The event cancelled due to Omicron concerns and I cancelled my tickets, receiving the amount of my tickets as a flight credit under the PNR of my reservation.

Now, I'm looking at booking a new trip for which the free baggage benefits of the United Infinite Club card will be important. Is there any way to use my credit towards these flights and still receive the benefits associated with the credit card?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Erin Barker
I was just approved after a delay over the weekend during ticketing for this new card. Once approved, I went back and bought the tickets. Unfortunately had to transfer an additional 4K UR points to cover the increase in cost. I didn't have my physical card, but was able to join it to apple pay to make my purchase through the app. (I did verify on United.com that it was an acceptable form of payment)

The reservation ticketed at Economy (X) instead of XN - Should I be concerned that they won't recognize my card purchase for the benefits of free 1st checked bag and such? The apply pay recorded a different last 4 on my purchase than the actual card - i guess that is for security, but will it mess up my benefits?
What was the outcome of this?
I’m about to do the same thing… use the new UA Explorer card via Apple Pay to pay for UA ticket for a flight that’s 4wks out.
Will I get get free bags?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:33 am

Anybody seen this?? -- UA can't waive bag fees despite tix purchased w Explorer Card

So I bought my ticket 2 weeks ago using my new Explorer Card on the UA app.
(I realize I said in the post immediately above I was going to buy it with Apple Pay, but long story short I was able to book after all using the new Explorer Card.)

My app still shows bag fee of $35 for my trip.

I talked to customer service and they said the reason is my Explorer Card wasn't linked to my MP#.
There's no way that's true because the Explorer Card has my MP# on it and I have the Explorer Card registered in my Wallet online and on the app (been that way since I bought the ticket 2 wks ago).
I told that to the rep who transferred me to UA's online support desk.
But that department told me they didn't know how to fix the problem.
I called UA again and was told I should check in at the airport counter and the counter agent can waive the bag fee.

I don't want to wait in line every time to check in going forward.
Frustrating that UA can't resolve this issue so that, in the future, I can check in online with fees waived and then head straight to bag drop at the airport.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how this could be resolved?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The fact you changed payment may be an unique issue to this booking.

Are the names on the MP account and credit card account the same?
And at times the pre-trip info is stale and at check-in bag fees are fine / waived.

At this point might be less effort to wait to see what happens

Also you could do a test case by doing a new fresh booking for some random trip and see what the bag fee shows for that trip. And then cancel in 24 hours to get a full refund.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 7, 2022 at 10:48 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The fact you changed payment may be an unique issue to this booking.

Are the names on the MP account and credit card account the same?
And at times the pre-trip info is stale and at check-in bag fees are fine / waived.

At this point might be less effort to wait to see what happens

Also you could do a test case by doing a new fresh booking for some random trip and see what the bag fee shows for that trip. And then cancel in 24 hours to get a full refund.
Thanks.
Yes, the names are the same. I also talked to Chase and they told me everything looked good on their end and that my Chase card was indeed linked to my MP#.
But UA says there's no credit card linked to my MP#, and they can't help me further. I've already talked to reservations, MP, web support, baggage service, been bounced around like ping pong ball.
I think I will just wait and see what happens, as you say. For this upcoming trip, I'll just check in at the counter. And then I'll test this again the next time I book UA.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I talked to customer service and they said the reason is my Explorer Card wasn't linked to my MP#.
There's no way that's true because the Explorer Card has my MP# on it and I have the Explorer Card registered in my Wallet online and on the app (been that way since I bought the ticket 2 wks ago).
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your description, but neither of these facts seems to prove much. Having your MP number on the card means only that Chase knows about the asssociation, presumably because you told them as part of the application. But Chase still has to tell UA, and that can take time. And having the card in your UA wallet means you have it available as a means of payment—nothing more. There’s no way UA analyzes the attributes of wallet cards to migrate details into your status profile.

One way to see if UA has flagged you as a cardholder is
  • go to your My United page
  • under Mileage Plus, select Status Tracker
  • In the new window, scroll down to the Benefits section. In the partner benefits section, it should say something like “Get the most from your card. Enjoy these benefits when you use your [Chase United] Card.” (If there’s no linked card, the page will say “Choose the right card for you,” followed by some teasers & links to application pages.)
There may be a quicker way to check, but I haven’t found one yet.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Mar 8, 2022 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your description, but neither of these facts seems to prove much. Having your MP number on the card means only that Chase knows about the asssociation, presumably because you told them as part of the application. But Chase still has to tell UA, and that can take time. And having the card in your UA wallet means you have it available as a means of payment—nothing more. There’s no way UA analyzes the attributes of wallet cards to migrate details into your status profile.

One way to see if UA has flagged you as a cardholder is
  • go to your My United page
  • under Mileage Plus, select Status Tracker
  • In the new window, scroll down to the Benefits section. In the partner benefits section, it should say something like “Get the most from your card. Enjoy these benefits when you use your [Chase United] Card.” (If there’s no linked card, the page will say “Choose the right card for you,” followed by some teasers & links to application pages.)

Thanks for the explanation.
So I followed your instruction, and it says "choose the right card for you." Looks like my MP account is not linked to the Chase card yet.
When I talked to Chase, the rep said my MP# is indeed linked to the new credit card and there's nothing left for Chase to do on their end.
Where do you think the glitch is? On Chase's side, or on UA's side?
It's been 2.5 weeks since I was approved for the card.

Also, while one rep told me I should check in at the counter and have the gate agent waive the bag fees, another rep told me the better way is to just pay the bag fees upfront and then request refund via www.united.com/refund.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:34 pm

When I upgraded to the Quest card from Explorer, I was told by United to allow 3 weeks for the additional baggage benefit to be recognized in their systems. Fortunately, I didn't have to book a flight immediately and after allowing 3 weeks, when I did book, the baggage benefits did appear when I booked the flight.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Travel Fan
When I upgraded to the Quest card from Explorer, I was told by United to allow 3 weeks for the additional baggage benefit to be recognized in their systems. Fortunately, I didn't have to book a flight immediately and after allowing 3 weeks, when I did book, the baggage benefits did appear when I booked the flight.
I see, so it could take 3 weeks, not 2 weeks as it's been stated on FT?
I'm just going to wait a bit longer and see what happens. I'm just a few days shy of 3 week mark. Worst-case I will pay and then ask for refund afterwards and hope that goes smoothly.
Seeing what's going on in Ukraine, I know I'm being petty to be worrying about bag fees.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Free Bag Benefit- Chase cards

Hello,

Loyal DL flyer here who churns UA cards for mileage redemptions. I may need to book a UA flight and have a question.

I know that in order to get the free bag benefit for holding a chase UA card, you must pay for the reservation and have the mileage plus account number in the reservation. Got it. What happens if I do precisely that but I close the card before the flight? Do I still get the free checked bag benefit?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
... I know that in order to get the free bag benefit for holding a chase UA card, you must pay for the reservation and have the mileage plus account number in the reservation. Got it. What happens if I do precisely that but I close the card before the flight? Do I still get the free checked bag benefit?
The T&Cs state
The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:11 am

Do Chase CC perks stick on a reservation even after cancelling card?

If I book a ticket with my Chase United Explorer card today, and then cancel the card tomorrow, will I still get the perks such as free checked bags when I travel on this reservation?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2022 at 11:38 am Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by rrapynot
Do Chase CC perks stick on a reservation even after cancelling card?
For bags
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The T&Cs state
The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
For premier access, that is based on time of checkin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.