Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:39 pm

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...and-terms.html
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:11 pm

If your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris®business class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
So I am good. With a tiny chance of a free ride up front for SFO-LAX.

And a most unlikely chance of the upgrade clearing.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
So I am good. With a tiny chance of a free ride up front for SFO-LAX.

And a most unlikely chance of the upgrade clearing.
Correct. You will get everything back if only SFO-LAX clears.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:11 am

My LAX -PVG flight was successful in upgrading me. My first time in business. Thanks everyone
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:59 am
RNE

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
My LAX -PVG flight was successful in upgrading me. My first time in business.
As my dear old father told me, "You never forget your first time, son."

RNE, patting you on the back.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
International + Domestic Upgrade Cancel?

Hi everyone!

I'm considering using miles to go from Premium Plus to Polaris, but I vaguely remember losing a GPU to then not get upgraded on the international flight. How does that work with miles? Can I cancel the upgrade request if it doesn't go through on the overnight international flight?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GiantVulture
Hi everyone!

I'm considering using miles to go from Premium Plus to Polaris, but I vaguely remember losing a GPU to then not get upgraded on the international flight. How does that work with miles? Can I cancel the upgrade request if it doesn't go through on the overnight international flight?

Thanks!
For Domestic / International long haul upgrade requests, UA will refund the upgrade if the Polaris marketed segment does not clear (and if cleared, you keep the domestic segment). This has been true for long before Polaris.

The specific wording for mileage upgrades is
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris® business class and none of the segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: United, American
Multileg mileage upgrades

Sorry for the lack of proper lingo, but I'm a complete noob to the upgrade game...

I have an upcoming flight RNO-DEN then DEN-FRA. I am currently booked in economy plus for all segments (Y). I would like to transfer chase points and do a mileage upgrade to polaris class on the DEN-FRA legs. I get the option to waitlist both segments together for $500 + 20k miles/person. My understanding from other posts is that if the international leg doesn't clear but the domestic does I would get the upgrade and not be charged. I am afraid of the domestic leg clearing and NOT the international leg and getting charged the full amount. A friendly agent told me that the 2 legs would be considered a package and if they don't both clear I would not receive an upgrade or be charged. This does not seem to line up with what I've read on other posts on this site. I haven't found any info since 2018, so of course things could have changed. Any info on what my risk of losing cash and miles on only a domestic upgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fuzz
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fuzzdoc
My understanding from other posts is that if the international leg doesn't clear but the domestic does I would get the upgrade and not be charged.
This is correct. The entire amount will be refunded if DEN-FRA does not clear.

A friendly agent told me that the 2 legs would be considered a package and if they don't both clear I would not receive an upgrade or be charged.
No. The legs will clear independently.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:14 pm

Thanks so much!
Another dumb question:

At the 72 hour mark when we find out if we the upgrades cleared we will have the option to decline and get a refund? For instance if only 1 seat cleared and we chose to stay together, or just changed our mind altogether?

Fuzz
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, fuzzdoc
At the 72 hour mark when we find out if we the upgrades cleared we will have the option to decline and get a refund? For instance if only 1 seat cleared and we chose to stay together, or just changed our mind altogether? ....
There is no fixed period in time for clearing upgrades.

If on a single PNR, until checkin, it will be all or none. After check-in it can be one or all or none.

Once upgraded, it is difficult to un-upgrade. If you original fare class is not available you will need to pay the fare difference (yes pay to downgrade). However, at the gate you can downgrade for free BUT the likelihood of your original seat being available is questionable as is the ability to sit with your companion . Additionally UA can charge a fee to redeposit the miles.

If the ability to sit together is paramount (and on a single PNR) then call and remove the upgrade before checking in. You can ask the agent at that time about the likelihood of clearing at the gate but nothing is certain.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, fuzzdoc
There is no fixed period in time for clearing upgrades.

If on a single PNR, until checkin, it will be all or none. After check-in it can be one or all or none.

Once upgraded, it is difficult to un-upgrade. If you original fare class is not available you will need to pay the fare difference (yes pay to downgrade). However, at the gate you can downgrade for free BUT the likelihood of your original seat being available is questionable as is the ability to sit with your companion . Additionally UA can charge a fee to redeposit the miles.

If the ability to sit together is paramount (and on a single PNR) then call and remove the upgrade before checking in. You can ask the agent at that time about the likelihood of clearing at the gate but nothing is certain.

Wow, this game is not for the faint-hearted! Thanks for your help everyone.

Fuzz
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
1 way upgrade 2 segments

I'm sure this has been answered but will ask again anyway. I used miles to upgrade from coach to first on United. I forget was something like 15000 one way. I got upgraded LAS to ORD which was nice since it was the longest of the 2 segments but I didn't get upgraded ORD to EWR. Do they prorate the mileage so you get some back or tuff luck? Seems like if your paying for a entire 1 way and you only get 1 out of 2 they should have some way of refunding you. Otherwise not really a good deal since 90% of the time it says 'waitlist' so its playing Russian roulette with the miles.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bill11
I'm sure this has been answered but will ask again anyway. I used miles to upgrade from coach to first on United. I forget was something like 15000 one way. I got upgraded LAS to ORD which was nice since it was the longest of the 2 segments but I didn't get upgraded ORD to EWR. Do they prorate the mileage so you get some back ...
nope, LAS-ORD is the same 15K miles
Originally Posted by Bill11
Seems like if your paying for a entire 1 way and you only get 1 out of 2 they should have some way of refunding you. ...
No the way it has ever worked. The only case is domestic + Polaris and only the domestic clears, then you get a refund.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat
If I have a fully refundable economy fare and apply a MAU upgrade to it, will I be able to cancel the ticket and get the upgrade refunded if it clears? What about before it clears?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.