Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
My girlfriend and me are on the same itinerary, but different tickets. Is there a way to link our mileage upgrade requests so it either approves both or neither? ....
No, if you have not cleared by the gate, you can ask the GA to do this. Also, you can ask to be downgrades at the gate but adjacent seats may no longer be available.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, if you have not cleared by the gate, you can ask the GA to do this. Also, you can ask to be downgrades at the gate but adjacent seats may no longer be available.
Can I un-request all the way up to the gate? I might just request and if it doesn't clear by check-in look at how busy the flight is.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:36 pm

When should I expect miles to be credited back?

I and +1 purchased PE and wait-listed for Polaris on our outbound trans Atlantic flight using miles plus copay. We had 2 segments - SNA to SFO and SFO to ZRH. The SNA to SFO cleared for upgrade to First on day of flight but the SFO to ZRH did not clear and we remained in PE. The flight was on May 14. Shouldn't I receive miles back to my account since the Polaris segment didn't clear? How long should I wait before calling United for follow up? We have a similar wait list for the return flight. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice that you're able to give.
Old May 17, 2023, 12:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Travel Fan
I and +1 purchased PE and wait-listed for Polaris on our outbound trans Atlantic flight using miles plus copay. We had 2 segments - SNA to SFO and SFO to ZRH. The SNA to SFO cleared for upgrade to First on day of flight but the SFO to ZRH did not clear and we remained in PE. The flight was on May 14. Shouldn't I receive miles back to my account since the Polaris segment didn't clear? How long should I wait before calling United for follow up? ....
Per UA
If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, we will redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris® business class and none of the segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur 7 to 10 days after travel.
SPN Lifer and tstauck like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I think I know the answer, just want confirmation.

I just completed an EU-DEN-USA journey. I booked in E, but decided to try to use Miles+Copay to upgrade. It gave me the option of 20000 + 0 copay to PE and/or 20000+475 copay to Polaris, so I did both. United took the 20000 + $475. The transatlantic flight upgrades were waitlisted, but I was instantly upgraded on the domestic portion. I took the flight yesterday, and neither the PE or the Polaris upgrade on the transatlantic flight cleared. I'm pretty sure this means I will get both the miles and the copay back, right?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I think I know the answer, just want confirmation.

I just completed an EU-DEN-USA journey. I booked in E, but decided to try to use Miles+Copay to upgrade. It gave me the option of 20000 + 0 copay to PE and/or 20000+475 copay to Polaris, so I did both. United took the 20000 + $475. The transatlantic flight upgrades were waitlisted, but I was instantly upgraded on the domestic portion. I took the flight yesterday, and neither the PE or the Polaris upgrade on the transatlantic flight cleared. I'm pretty sure this means I will get both the miles and the copay back, right?
Yes, both are due back to you, though you may have to follow with UA up if you don't see them deposited back within a few weeks.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Any idea how long it usually takes for them to refund the miles + copay of the Polaris segment doesn't upgrade? Flew on June 12, waited 10 days, no refund, so I sent a message to customer service last week, no response as of yet.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Any idea how long it usually takes for them to refund the miles + copay of the Polaris segment doesn't upgrade? Flew on June 12, waited 10 days, no refund, so I sent a message to customer service last week, no response as of yet.
It is often not automatic, in which case you'll need to make a refund request for the copay, and call the MP desk to have the miles redeposited.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: United
It happened on me twice. UA did not refund the miles to me. So I had to go though customer service.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 12:35 pm

I tried to look through the last few pages and didnt see anything, but does anyone have a trick besides calling in to get miles reinstated after not clearing an upgrade (trip completed over a month ago)? I'm on hold again now, but with the storms that have been consistent, hold times have been long. I've been holding off, but need my 120k miles back for a new trip I am trying to book.

I'm sure the answer is still no, and would rather not tie up someone on the phone with so many disruptions, but want to get this trip booked.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Johnnie Walker Blue
Try a direct message on Twitter.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:33 pm

Have an LAX-ORD-GRU itinerary coming up end of September. Both flights are operated by the 787-10, and I want to use miles + copay to upgrade. According to the terms I should get a full refund if the payment if the Polaris segment (ORD-GRU) don't clear. I guess that still holds true even if I get upgraded on the LAX-ORD segment which will have Polaris seats? It is still considered as First and not Polaris right?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by B747forever
Have an LAX-ORD-GRU itinerary coming up end of September. Both flights are operated by the 787-10, and I want to use miles + copay to upgrade. According to the terms I should get a full refund if the payment if the Polaris segment (ORD-GRU) don't clear. I guess that still holds true even if I get upgraded on the LAX-ORD segment which will have Polaris seats? It is still considered as First and not Polaris right?
yes, the international premium segments have to clear to consider the mileage upgrade award used
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
yes, the international premium segments have to clear to consider the mileage upgrade award used
Thanks. Last question, does a mileage upgrade have priority over CPU on the LAX-ORD segment?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by B747forever
Thanks. Last question, does a mileage upgrade have priority over CPU on the LAX-ORD segment?
yes, upgrading with instrument takes priority over CPU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.