Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by godbreath
If I have a fully refundable economy fare and apply a MAU upgrade to it, will I be able to cancel the ticket and get the upgrade refunded if it clears? ....
If you cancel the booking or change flights, yes. If you change your mind but stay on the same flight, no.
godbreath likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Used miles + copay to upgrade my economy ticket to premium plus and business class. At the time, there was RN space and there was a checkmark next to the premium plus upgrade before applying the upgrade. However now after applying the upgrade, I am not sure what is going on. When I look at the trip, I see a banner for "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please reach out to United Reservations or contact your travel agency to have your ticket reissued." I used the chat function to talk to an agent and they said everything is correct, I can ignore the banner and that I am waitlisted for premium plus and business class currently.
However on the tip details page, I see 3 different entries for my trip: 1 in economy that shows waitlist under upgrade. 1 in premium plus (RN) that shows waitlist under upgrade. And 1 in business (PZ) that just says waitlisted and has an orange border instead of a gray border. Does this mean my premium plus upgrade cleared? I am not able to select premium plus seats, only economy seats. And I was charged for the copay, but the miles are still in my account.

Old Oct 31, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The computer seems to have confirmed segments in both L and RN and be rather unhappy about it. If you can't select a seat in PE, someone needs to delete the original Economy segment to clear up the PNR.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
The computer seems to have confirmed segments in both L and RN and be rather unhappy about it. If you can't select a seat in PE, someone needs to delete the original Economy segment to clear up the PNR.
I called someone directly and they said they were having some trouble with the computer and cannot assign seats. They told me to call back a week later.
The next morning, the economy segment was gone under my trips and I was assigned 2 seats not next to each other. I still get an error when choosing different seats though.
Today (4 days later), I got an email eticket itinerary and receipt confirmation for my trip. The points were deducted for the upgrade today. However I still get an error when choosing my seats.

The flight isn't for another 6 months, and the business/pp cabin is completely empty right now. I'll wait another week and see what happens.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by godbreath
I called someone directly and they said they were having some trouble with the computer and cannot assign seats. They told me to call back a week later.
The next morning, the economy segment was gone under my trips and I was assigned 2 seats not next to each other. I still get an error when choosing different seats though.
Today (4 days later), I got an email eticket itinerary and receipt confirmation for my trip. The points were deducted for the upgrade today. However I still get an error when choosing my seats.

The flight isn't for another 6 months, and the business/pp cabin is completely empty right now. I'll wait another week and see what happens.
if you can't get seats assigned a week later then something is messed up. Call now ... don't wait.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:25 am

looking to also purchase paid Y and upgrade with MUA. i can only waitlist for MUA for SEA-EWR-DEL on 12/10 for 35K miles. what would happen if somehow the SEA-EWR upgrade cleared, but the EWR-DEL doesnt - will i be charged the 35k miles or a prorated amount?

what are the odds of an upgrade on EWR-DEL on 12/10 with MUA? I have no status, and this is what I see as fare availability on this flight
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2021 at 8:44 am Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by uatestflyer
looking to also purchase paid Y and upgrade with MUA. i can only waitlist for MUA for SEA-EWR-DEL on 12/10 for 35K miles. what would happen if somehow the SEA-EWR upgrade cleared, but the EWR-DEL doesnt - will i be charged the 35k miles or a prorated amount?

what are the odds of an upgrade on EWR-DEL on 12/10 with MUA? I have no status, and this is what I see as fare availability on this flight
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
This is different than an award Waitlist, you are describing a standard MUA (this thread is not about MUAs). However with MUAs if the domestic segment clears and the trans-oceanic doesn't clear then you will get a refund of your miles and copay
being a month out and no discount C fares available doesn't look great, but they are at least at C9 so I would assume at least 9 seats available. I really can't tell you what your chances are, but if you want an MUA apply it as early as possible as it is a tie breaker.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:43 pm

I hope this question has not been asked and answered nor that it sounds silly but I am new to the game and haven't found the answer yet after countless deep dives. I am considering booking a Miles + co pay upgrade from premium plus to Polaris for a direct flight from SFO-LHR. I have zero status and so this is the only way for me to try for an upgrade. I have read the language over and over about how you get refunded your miles and co pay if "none of the international premium segments are upgraded." Clarifying question: Hypothetically, does that mean if my outbound segment clears but my return flight upgrade does not, that I will not be refunded anything? In other words, could I potentially have to pay the entire set of miles + co pay if only half of the round trip clears? Thank you to anyone who can clarify.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mswheeler
I hope this question has not been asked and answered nor that it sounds silly but I am new to the game and haven't found the answer yet after countless deep dives. I am considering booking a Miles + co pay upgrade from premium plus to Polaris for a direct flight from SFO-LHR. I have zero status and so this is the only way for me to try for an upgrade. I have read the language over and over about how you get refunded your miles and co pay if "none of the international premium segments are upgraded." Clarifying question: Hypothetically, does that mean if my outbound segment clears but my return flight upgrade does not, that I will not be refunded anything? In other words, could I potentially have to pay the entire set of miles + co pay if only half of the round trip clears? Thank you to anyone who can clarify.
Welcome to FT!

This is always on a 'per direction' basis. For a non-stop flight it is just that segment. If SFO-LHR does not clear you'll get a refund for that segment and likewise if LHR-SFO does not clear you'll get a refund as well. What this means is: if you book LAX-SFO-LHR and LAX-SFO clears but SFO-LHR does not ... you will get a refund as well and you get to keep the domestic upgrade in this case. SFO-LHR-SFO is a clear-cut case; you only pay for the inbound or the outbound if that respective segment clears,
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. mswheeler
...I am considering booking a Miles + co pay upgrade from premium plus to Polaris for a direct flight from SFO-LHR. I have zero status and so this is the only way for me to try for an upgrade. I have read the language over and over about how you get refunded your miles and co pay if "none of the international premium segments are upgraded." Clarifying question: Hypothetically, does that mean if my outbound segment clears but my return flight upgrade does not, that I will not be refunded anything? In other words, could I potentially have to pay the entire set of miles + co pay if only half of the round trip clears? Thank you to anyone who can clarify.
Your outbound and return upgrade requests are two separate activities. Two separate charges. The quoted amount is just for one direction.
If one fails but the other succeeds, the one that failed will be refunded.
VRFast likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Upgrades are done per directions, so if you’re buying a Premium Econ ticket and upgrading to Polaris using miles and copay in both directions, you will get a refund for the international segment(s) that is/are not upgraded.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As others have noted, the miles+co-pay is per direction. The unfortunate part is the total number of miles and dollars that you'll commit for the round trip. If you're able to clear immediately upon applying the miles+co-pays, then the investment will hopefully be worth it.

David
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
As others have noted, the miles+co-pay is per direction. The unfortunate part is the total number of miles and dollars that you'll commit for the round trip. If you're able to clear immediately upon applying the miles+co-pays, then the investment will hopefully be worth it.

David
Thanks all! 'Per direction' makes sense. That is helpful in deciding the worth.
It's not an instant upgrade and availability lists PZ0 but business is almost wide open with 4ish weeks out. Seems from reading all the forums it's possible but not probable. Maybe I should wait to see if they offer an up-sell. Thank you for the replies.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
My flight is SFO-EWR-KEF, I waitlisted upgrade for $550+20k miles, even though it’s Polaris cabin on SFO-EWR it’s sold as United business, so I get refund if EWR-KEF upgrade doesn’t clear right?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Moderators please feel free to move if this isn't the right spot.

Question: is it still UA policy that if you get upgraded using miles on only 1 of 2 segments you waitlisted for, that it's considered a "used" upgrade?

I'd like to use 22k miles to upgrade SBA-SFO-OGG. I feel the SBA-SFO leg will clear for sure but don't want to use my miles if it's only for that short segment. I recall the solution is to call in and have them apply it for the longer SFO-OGG leg only?

TIA!
- Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.