Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFHokie
If the PVG-SFO leg does clear, would I be entitled to getting the RPU "refunded" since it's all part of the same set of flights? Or does the overnight connection cancel that out even though technically my flights both depart on the same day?
Not unless you (a) remove the existing RPU, then (b) convince an agent to extend the GPU to cover that flight, and then (c) it clears again.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The cash was charged to my credit card. However, the miles were not withdrawn from my account (and it's been a week). Is this normal? What can I expect here?
Yes, this is normal. They'll likely eventually figure it out, especially if you clear.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:23 am

I have some questions about my MUA. I used miles+copay to request an upgrade from L to PZ. My outbound flight now shows upgrade requested. However, my inbound flight changes, as my original flights LHR-ORD-SAN now becomes LHR-IAD-SAN with IAD-SAN shows CPU requested. My original sectors (LHR-ORD-SAN) are shown at the bottom of the page as waitlisted.

1. Why my inbound flights got changed? I don't think UA asked me about flight change when I applied MUA. Can I ask to fly my original routing?
2. For the new inbound flights, I see option to apply MUA. If I do it, what will happen to my original MUA?

Last edited by RandD; May 25, 2019 at 9:24 am Reason: correct some typos
Old May 25, 2019, 12:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RandD
I have some questions about my MUA. I used miles+copay to request an upgrade from L to PZ. My outbound flight now shows upgrade requested. However, my inbound flight changes, as my original flights LHR-ORD-SAN now becomes LHR-IAD-SAN with IAD-SAN shows CPU requested. My original sectors (LHR-ORD-SAN) are shown at the bottom of the page as waitlisted.

1. Why my inbound flights got changed? I don't think UA asked me about flight change when I applied MUA. Can I ask to fly my original routing? ...
There may have been a schedule requiring the change of routing. You will need to call and get the ticket cleaned up and resync. Your MUA request should transfer over. Don't do anything until talking with an agent.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There may have been a schedule requiring the change of routing. You will need to call and get the ticket cleaned up and resync. Your MUA request should transfer over. Don't do anything until talking with an agent.
You are right that there is a change in my original schedule that causes misconnection. I called to get the ticket cleaned up and get my MUA request transfer over. The new schedule looks good and hopefully my MUA clears.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Like the person above, I had a weird situation with ticketing on United the other day and would love to know what my options are.

My wife and I flew SFO-CLT on a paid First class fare. The return trip was booked in economy connecting through ORD. When I booked, it offered to have me use an MileagePlus Upgrade award for 35k points and $150 for my wife and I to be put on the upgrade list. The person I spoke with on the phone said that this would be refunded if we didnt get upgraded.

We ended up clearing on the upgrade list for our short flight from CLT to ORD, but the ORD to SFO segment (not shockingly) didnt clear. I tried calling support but was put on a 30 minute hold and then the person i was speaking to seemed confused and accused me of sitting in first class because they saw "2A" on my SFO-CLT ticket. I pointed out I was in 17C on the flight in question, the person left for another long hold and never came back. Are we entitled to a refund of any kind or are we just SOL here? Help?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2019 at 9:47 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjaok
We ended up clearing on the upgrade list for our short flight from CLT to ORD
Originally Posted by arjaok
Are we entitled to a refund of any kind or are we just SOL here? Help?
You were upgraded, so you are not entitled to a refund. Unfortunately, not even a partial refund. The only exception is if one of the flights involved is long-haul international. For two domestic flights, a partial upgrade is considered an upgrade.

In the future, if you want to avoid this situation, you can call UA and ask to upgrade only the flight(s) you're interested in.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Got it, that sucks but I figured that was the result. Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
The only exception is if one of the flights involved is long-haul international.
Specifically, a flight marketed as Polaris.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Had an interesting experience just now....had a CoPay $175.0 + 17,500 miles for an upgrade to Polaris for EWR - SFO yesterday. Didn't clear and wound up in seat 7E (middle seat in the 78X). No complaints - I played the game and lost - but I called United today to check on my refund/copay, and they said that I took the upgrade? I most certainly didn't, and I remember my numb butt sitting in the middle seat. Had to fight a bit, and was asked if the FA came up to me and told me to switch seats and I didn't take it (that's wild, I wouldn't do that).

End of story - expecting 48-72 hours for my refund to come back via the supervisor. Kind of crazy lol
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples
Had an interesting experience just now....had a CoPay $175.0 + 17,500 miles for an upgrade to Polaris for EWR - SFO yesterday. Didn't clear and wound up in seat 7E (middle seat in the 78X). No complaints - I played the game and lost - but I called United today to check on my refund/copay, and they said that I took the upgrade? I most certainly didn't, and I remember my numb butt sitting in the middle seat. Had to fight a bit, and was asked if the FA came up to me and told me to switch seats and I didn't take it (that's wild, I wouldn't do that).

End of story - expecting 48-72 hours for my refund to come back via the supervisor. Kind of crazy lol
If you're referring to the 787-9, which is the only 787 with a seat 7E, that is a p.s. Business seat, which would mean your upgrade did clear. If you flew a 787-10, you must have had some other seat.

Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
sorry 31E, not 7E good catch!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples
sorry 31E, not 7E good catch!
Well, 31E is a whole lot less nice than 7E.

Their instrument tracking was never good, but I think it's in complete failure mode right now.
Rumples likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA;AA;Marriott;Hilton
Beware: Systematic failure to refund unused upgrade miles + $

Tried to use upgrade award and was waitlisted. Flew without upgrade. Per usual, UAL took money & miles when I went on waitlist. Month passed, no refund. After 3 emails with "customer service" got this admission: "We are aware of an issue where upgrades have not been getting automatically refunded. Our IT team is working on getting the issue fixed and back to working the way it should. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you". Think they are working at the same speed they would if system failed to deduct miles and money in the first place? Think they owe me something more than just refunding after my emails what they should have automatically, and for the attempt to keep my money and miles for nothing?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
For the first time in 2 years a failed upgrade got automatically refunded 48 hours later. No calls needed. Maybe they finally fixed the problem?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:12 pm

Waitlist Upgrade SFO-LAX-PVG

Flying SFO-LAX-PVG and I am in Economy. I can waitlist upgrade with miles for 30K +$600. I am willing to spend the miles and cash.

The upgrade page says:
SFO to LAX |
United First Waitlist Only

LAX to PVG |
United Polaris business Waitlist Only

So I am willing to spend $600 +30k miles for LAX -PVG. Even better if I get upgraded on SFO-LAX and LAX-PVG. What I am not willing to do is spend $600 and 30k miles for first on SFO-LAX and be SOL on LAX-PVG.

How does it work in this scenario ? I know if it does not clear, I get the cash and miles back, but how can I be sure I don't clear only on SFO-LAX ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2019 at 5:18 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.