Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Reservations - They May Change.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your Reservations - They May Change.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hawaiian Platinum, Starwood Platinum, United 1K
Cool Check Your Reservations - They May Change.

We decided to wait a bit to let the UA CO system merger run in before traveling.

Late March, we booked HNL - FRA. We used an agent, who got us upgraded seats, and a confirmation number. Checking the internet the next day, we discovered all our seats had been changed to coach. We are both 1K's. We called in to check on it, and was told that the agent who processed our reservations made a mistake, and that these flights were not up-gradable.
We cancelled the trip.

In February, we made advanced reservations HNL - DTW, for a July trip. We were told we needed to use System Wide Upgrades for this reservations. We got our seat assignments, and confirmation number. Yesterday we were checking our reservations, and discovered that a "schedule change" had occurred for this trip, and we lost more than half our upgraded seats. We were also scheduled to arrive in IAH an hour AFTER our connecting flight was scheduled to leave.
We called in to see if we could remedy this, and after hours on the phone, because of computer glitches the agent was encountering, we were advised to cancel our trip ... so we did.

These are two trips that had to be cancelled because of the UA system not being able to handle keeping our reservations. We really like United Air, and have been loyal 1Ks for 6 years. Doe's anyone know when the glitches will be fixed? We cannot continue to walk on eggshells wondering if our confirmed reservations will change. United used to email/call our cell phone when ever there were any changes to our reservations. This was good. They should resume it. The agents we have spoken to are all voicing stress, and unhappiness because of the new reservation system. Is changing airline loyalties the only way out of this black hole?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by humu

We called in to see if we could remedy this, and after hours on the phone, because of computer glitches the agent was encountering, we were advised to cancel our trip ... so we did.
Major schedule changes this past weekend & I had 13 of them!

I spent hours on the phone Sat & Sun & didn't agree to cancel anything. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the agent you encountered gave you super bad info by advising you to cancel your itin. Laziness, incompetence, & impatience by the agent probably trumped frustration, by both of you, and you were convinced to pull the plug, which you didn't need to do. If you didn't really care about this trip then by all means let it go, but if you would have been more insistent that you purchased a ticket to get you from point A to point B and on to point C, and you agreed to the price, and bought it with the condition that you would be upgraded on ALL segments using your hard earned SWU's and expressed that a supervisor probably would have OKed you desired requests. UA changed the flights and the times, but the rules that you agreed to when you bought the ticket should still be applicable after the changes were made by the scheduling department. Doing your homework prior to calling when you are the victim of a mis-connect will definitely do your case wonders, when you know what connecting flights are available, in advance. Disregard all that R & RN crap when doing your search as nobody knows what then hell that means anyway! Retaining the upgrades is a little stickier, but it can be done if you are persistent, professional in you demeanor, and patient.

As far as your HNL-FRA trip is concerned, many times the itin IS NOT confirmed and ticketed for a few hours, or a few days, and once it says something like this,
"This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Tue., Apr. 1, 2012 at 12:21 a.m. Central Time.", you bought the cabin that you agreed to sit in, but I fear that that was not the case, and when it was finally confirmed you were put in the proper cabin, not what the original agent told you when you first called.

The first time you were probably dealt with fairly, but the on the second one you were definitely snookered, and you probably think so also or you wouldn't have started this thread!!!

Next time do you homework before you call and TELL THEM which flights you would prefer to fly and don't let them wear you down and talk you out of anything, especially when the "Computer Glitch" is the person doing the typing"!!!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I went to the UA website to check a reservation that I had booked for myself, my wife and our baby through a travel agent about a month ago. (Long story, but it was a complicated fare setup that I couldn't book directly through UA) Surprise surprise -- one of the flight numbers had changed, and our previously "confirmed" seat assignments and bassinet request were magically missing.

I emailed the TA asking if they could confirm, and they sent me a link to their system's confirmation page, which still shows the old flight number. Hmmmm....

Tempted to call UA to work this out, but their call centers are overloaded due to the weather issues in Japan today.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by joejones
I went to the UA website to check a reservation that I had booked for myself, my wife and our baby through a travel agent about a month ago. (Long story, but it was a complicated fare setup that I couldn't book directly through UA) Surprise surprise -- one of the flight numbers had changed, and our previously "confirmed" seat assignments and bassinet request were magically missing.

I emailed the TA asking if they could confirm, and they sent me a link to their system's confirmation page, which still shows the old flight number. Hmmmm....

Tempted to call UA to work this out, but their call centers are overloaded due to the weather issues in Japan today.
You sort-a need to be patient with this situation as you will need to wait a few hours or til morning as schedule changes and flight stuff, in the wee hours, temporarily screw up anything attached to it such as seats, and sometimes take several hours to sync.

Take a look when you get up in the morning and see where your at! A simple call to res should get your bulkhead seats back, if they put you somewhere else. If you want you may call UA directly for this type of problem, and see what they say, but I'd wait a little bit longer because they probably can't assign seats either if this itin is in limbo!

If it's an aircraft change you better get on it sometime later today, before someone else cops your desired seats, and I wouldn't be waiting around for a TA do do this for me, I'd be calling UA.
If you've got Skype call on that to the mainland.
Good luck!!!

Last edited by LilAbner; Apr 3, 2012 at 1:10 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hawaiian Platinum, Starwood Platinum, United 1K
Many Thanks! This helps me a lot. I also agree with you that being professional, and patient wins over the angry route. I will definitely use your suggestions in the future.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
We decided to wait a bit to let the UA CO system merger run in before traveling.

Late March, we booked HNL - FRA. We used an agent, who got us upgraded seats, and a confirmation number. Checking the internet the next day, we discovered all our seats had been changed to coach. We are both 1K's. We called in to check on it, and was told that the agent who processed our reservations made a mistake, and that these flights were not up-gradable.
We cancelled the trip.

In February, we made advanced reservations HNL - DTW, for a July trip. We were told we needed to use System Wide Upgrades for this reservations. We got our seat assignments, and confirmation number. Yesterday we were checking our reservations, and discovered that a "schedule change" had occurred for this trip, and we lost more than half our upgraded seats. We were also scheduled to arrive in IAH an hour AFTER our connecting flight was scheduled to leave.

These are two trips that had to be cancelled because of the UA system not being able to handle keeping our reservations. We really like United Air, and have been loyal 1Ks for 6 years. Doe's anyone know when the glitches will be fixed? We cannot continue to walk on eggshells wondering if our confirmed reservations will change. United used to email/call our cell phone when ever there were any changes to our reservations. This was good. They should resume it. The agents we have spoken to are all voicing stress, and unhappiness because of the new reservation system. Is changing airline loyalties the only way out of this black hole?
Shenanigans behind the scenes now?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know when the glitches will be fixed?
There is no public ETR.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:41 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LilAbner
and sometimes take several hours to sync.
THAT's the big problem. In this day and age, we should not have to wait hours for things to sync or ticket. The system is Neanderthal, nothing more and nothing less.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:46 pm

I just checked an upcoming flight on website scheduled from DFW-CHS via IAH and saw the dreaded schedule change message. Turns out they re-booked me DFW-IAH 10:46am-12:01pm, connecting to IAH-CHS 8:10am-11:39am. So my second leg departs before my first. Nice...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by mberlew
I just checked an upcoming flight on website scheduled from DFW-CHS via IAH and saw the dreaded schedule change message. Turns out they re-booked me DFW-IAH 10:46am-12:01pm, connecting to IAH-CHS 8:10am-11:39am. So my second leg departs before my first. Nice...
This happened to me too. It was pretty easy to fix, but my biggest annoyance is that I got no notification for any of these changes. There were a few equipment changes (which dumped my seat assignments) and a couple of rebookings, and I had to check out each one on united.com to review them.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by 1P
THAT's the big problem. In this day and age, we should not have to wait hours for things to sync or ticket. The system is Neanderthal, nothing more and nothing less.
They've got to run the punch cards through the reader - and that might take hours.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by phillychuck
They've got to run the punch cards through the reader - and that might take hours.
^^^^^^^

Actually, I think if any segment is on another Star Alliance carrier a confirmation needs to come back from them before it is a done deal and it is finally ticketed!

Did one yesterday 3 F/C savers LAS to BKK through HKG with a total of $15.00 in taxes & fees. Something ain't right and I will definitely need to pony up before boarding passes are printed, me thinks???
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Turns out that UA destroyed our seat assignments and bassinet request when they moved our reservation to the CO system. The TA called UA and got the seat assignments sort of fixed, in the sense that we were shuffled around on a couple of shorter segments and got to keep our bulkhead seats on the most important transpac segment. If we had lost the bulkhead on that flight I would have been pissed, to say the least.

The bassinet is still pending. Grrr...

Anyway, I guess the lesson is to be particularly vigilant if you have a reservation booked through third-party channels.

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Take a look when you get up in the morning and see where your at! A simple call to res should get your bulkhead seats back, if they put you somewhere else. If you want you may call UA directly for this type of problem, and see what they say, but I'd wait a little bit longer because they probably can't assign seats either if this itin is in limbo!

If it's an aircraft change you better get on it sometime later today, before someone else cops your desired seats, and I wouldn't be waiting around for a TA do do this for me, I'd be calling UA.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I have a reservation for May to which I applied an RPU to upgrade one way and miles the other. I cleared both ways at booking (R=5 showing in each direction). Unfortunately now United.com tells me that due to "modifications" made to my reservation I need to call to have the ticket reissued. I have been 1K for eighteen years and have never seen anything like this. Does anybody out there know if I really have to call to ensure I still actually have a ticket?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I have a reservation for May to which I applied an RPU to upgrade one way and miles the other. I cleared both ways at booking (R=5 showing in each direction). Unfortunately now United.com tells me that due to "modifications" made to my reservation I need to call to have the ticket reissued. I have been 1K for eighteen years and have never seen anything like this. Does anybody out there know if I really have to call to ensure I still actually have a ticket?
Actually, pmUA schedule changes ALWAYS needed a phone call to clean them up, if you recall.

This situation that you see in RED at the top of your itinerary requires a phone call to the 1K line to get your res re-synced. No biggie! Just give em a call, but hang tough on the upgrades that you got back when!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.