Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
LOL, you got 11 stamps? Convenient stores such as 7-11 usually have only 200 yen stamps. You could have purchased one 2,000 yen and one 200 yen stamps at a post office.
I know I could have, I went to 7-Eleven because I know the post office doesn't take credit cards for anything, and I wanted to see if the 7-Eleven would take credit cards for these or if it was one of those "cash only" things.

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
After my partner got his card he tried to use the card, but he said it was impossible to do that by himself! The machine read his finger prints while it was reading his card at the same time. The problem was the reading glass was slanted and he had to hold his card by his hand, bad design.
On my way out the first time, the machine at NRT did everything one by one- first scan the QR code on the passport, then tap the card, then read my fingerprints, photo (I think?), go. It was coming back in at KIX, where the machine sucks in your card (to print your entry record on the back), that I had the issue. It sucked in the card, then spat it back out with a "System Error". Multiple times.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:45 am

I already got the TTP card at NRT T1 last week, very fast and smooth only use 15 minutes.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:22 am

I applied on Dec 19 (application number 41xx), entered preliminary inspection on Feb 15 and passed it today.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Got the card at HND Int'l terminal a few weeks ago... took them forever to process it. An hour long ordeal.

Use #1 - Exit from HND: machine error, they let me into the gate area with no exit stamp.

Use #2 - Entry to HND: card got stuck in machine. Took over 10 minutes for the immigration agents to figure it out (& 5 minutes for them to even notice the issue). Agents kept saying "wakaranai!".. tells you something about the training.. Finally processed manually but had to wait in the immigration "holding room" and then processed manually (with the stupid sticker).

Use #3 - Exit from NRT: worked as intended.

So far this program is kind of a bust. Extremely poor implementation.

Also, have confirmed that if you renew/get a new passport, you have to completely re-apply for the program from step 1. There's no transfer mechanism yet. I'm running out of blank passport visa pages and do not want to go through this ordeal again anytime soon!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kaix
Got the card at HND Int'l terminal a few weeks ago... took them forever to process it. An hour long ordeal.

Use #1 - Exit from HND: machine error, they let me into the gate area with no exit stamp.

Use #2 - Entry to HND: card got stuck in machine. Took over 10 minutes for the immigration agents to figure it out (& 5 minutes for them to even notice the issue). Agents kept saying "wakaranai!".. tells you something about the training.. Finally processed manually but had to wait in the immigration "holding room" and then processed manually (with the stupid sticker).

Use #3 - Exit from NRT: worked as intended.

So far this program is kind of a bust. Extremely poor implementation.

Also, have confirmed that if you renew/get a new passport, you have to completely re-apply for the program from step 1. There's no transfer mechanism yet. I'm running out of blank passport visa pages and do not want to go through this ordeal again anytime soon!

When you using the TTP card entry Japan is the date of entry will be printed on back side of the TTP card? Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Kaix
At least when my card failed at KIX they waved me over to the front of one of the Japanese citizen lines to process me manually, no holding room involved.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Has anyone done the secondary inspection at KIX?

I need to complete the secondary inspection next month. I could do it at NRT, but would save travel time if I flew onward to KIX. Has anyone been processed at KIX? Did you run into any problems?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am

Question: How long does it take from "Application Reception" to "Preliminary Inspection"? US Passport, GE, if that matters.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:45 pm

I applied 3/21 (JP time) application # 550x. I'll keep updated w/ processing. My next trip to Japan is 5/16. I hope to do the secondary inspection then.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:05 pm

So... has anyone else had repeated trouble entering the country using the card? Yesterday automated processing failed again for me, but at NRT this time. Got as far as the filled-out entry card, then it said it could not process me and to go to a counter for processing. Thankfully once again I was not made to go to the back of the regular line, but still, this seems to be either unusually bad luck or continuing system issues.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:00 pm

Datapoint:

Application 46xx
Applied 1/20
Preliminary inspection complete 3/28
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Applied 1/19, approved 3/29. Submitted only a copy of GE approval letter. I never could find a form 13.

In Japan now and I'll do the secondary part when I'm flying out at NRT. Seems like people have better luck there than HND so I won't bother making a trip there.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:22 pm

Finished registering at NRT T1 on the 2nd floor landside. Process took 15-20 min. One of the employees didn't seem to know how to process it and the other one was teaching her as we went along.

I brought:
Print out of acceptance email
Copy of passport cover and inside bio/signature page
Copy of GE acceptance letter
2200 yen of shunyuinshi
My passport (they seemed more interested in this more than anything else)

Language wasn't really a barrier since they didn't ask anything after seeing the email other than to give them the documents and sign.

There's also a registration booth at departure immigration and at T2 3F departure lobby.

I used the card with no issues at departure.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
So here was my experience.

I submitted the initial application on January 19, 2017. The preliminary inspection was completed on March 29, 2017, which was ironic since I was headed to Japan the next day.

For those that have been to Japan know that the end of March and early April are usually quite busy times for Japan as it is cherry blossom season and the immigration lines at NRT were as bad as I have seen. I waited close to an hour, but hopefully that won't be an issue the next 3 years Anyhow I arrived at NRT and attempted to find the office in the "Landing Examination Area of Terminal 1." I saw a poster near the automated gates, but still was unsure so when I got to the immigration agent I asked and was told to go to the office that is located near the crew channel and when I arrived there the agents were a bit clueless about what I was talking about even after showing them the email. Anyhow by the time I cleared immigration I entered the arrivals hall and I found the office next to the Information Center in the Central Building of Terminal 1. Sadly they close at 1600 and I arrived shortly thereafter. I should note that the office is on the arrivals level.

I noticed there was an office at Haneda so the following morning I decided to get it done there since the places I wanted to visit didn't open the early. The Office is quite easy to find and is easily identified as it is near Check-in Counter A in the corner. Once I got to the office there was a lot of confusion as from what I was told they haven't processed many applications via Global Entry. This office is open from 0800-2100.

The email you get once the primary inspection is complete can be a bit confusing as it says to bring original copies of your application documents which I assumed to be the GE card and passport. As it was quite a while since I applied I forgot that I had also included the confirmation GE letter too!

Anyhow after a phone call with their supervisor as it was unclear if they needed the GE letter since it just confirmed my successful GE application, which could be verified with the card, they asked for a photocopy of my passport and the front/back of my GE card which I was able to get done at the 7-11 in the terminal. I was also asked to provide 2200 JPY in stamps which could be bought at the same 7-11. The 7-11 didn't have 2200 JPY in stamps so I went to the Lawson on the lower level and got the stamps and returned to the office with them as well as the copies.

With those items in hand and a quick scan of my left/right index finger, I was issued the card needed to use the automated entry gates and hopefully quick entries into Japan for the next 3 years! They also stamped one of the endorsement pages of my passport with a stamp that said "User of Automated Gate until April 1, 2020. Japanese entry and departure stamps exempted."
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone tried this with a NEXUS membership card or approval letter? As most know, it includes global entry but the Japanese inspectors aren't likely to know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.