Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:54 pm

MSPeconomist: I was applying for GE.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Lmarino17
MSPeconomist: I was applying for GE.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:51 pm

Omg thank you!!!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Josiepagne
Any experience with administrative removal from a country?

Almost 8 years ago at age 22, I was denied entry and removed from the UK due to overstaying a visa in Italy by about 3 months. I was not allowed to enter the UK since they deemed me an immigration risk because at the time I didn't have a job or ties back to the US (ownership of property, family obligations, etc.).

This technically was not a deportation since that would mean permanent expulsion from the country. I have since been allowed to enter the UK on 3 separate occasions, neither of which required a pre-arranged visa. I do usually get stopped at the border for a few minutes and receive extra questioning, but have always been allowed to enter.

I currently legally reside in Spain and submitted for Global Entry on 7/24. Application still pending. I did not mention the UK issue on my application, which in reading through this forum now seems like it might be a mistake. I had hoped my current residence approval in Spain combined with multiple approvals to visit the UK would have counteracted this long-past offense. I've also traveled frequently and widely (40+ countries) in the years since and have had no immigration issues whatsoever.

Am I completely screwed? Any information on similar experiences would be appreciated!
Were you approved for Global Entry? I was also denied entry to the UK three years ago and am trying to figure out if it's worth applying or not. I had studied in the UK and left when my student visa expired. I tried to go back into the country a week later to stay for a couple more months thinking that US citizens can stay for up to six months without a visa (I was not planning to work or do anything that would be in violation), but was denied. Looking back on it, I realize it was rather naive of me. I've been back to the UK a couple of times since and have been let in.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bmw128
<snip>

I'm 28 and have never been convicted of a crime, so like many others on here I could confidently answer "no" on the application.

<snip>

I've been arrested twice, once in 2003 when I was 15 for a juvenile battery case that I eventually pleaded no contest in and the case was eventually expunged from my record.

<snip>

After he checked the status of the 2009 case he immediately asked me what happened in 2003, which caught me off guard but I answered honestly that it was a juvenile case where the charges were dropped and the case expunged. He said because it was 10+ years ago it would not affect the application (BUT also why would it...an arrest is not a conviction. What happened to innocence until proven guilty???)...and that I would need court documentation to prove the disposition of the 2009 case. He also explained that I might be flagged every time I enter the country because of these arrests, which seemed odd - again, no convictions!

<snip>
For all practical purposes, a plea of no contest is treated exactly the same and carries like consequences as a guilty plea (or an admission of the petition in Juvenile Court). The only difference, at least in misdemeanor - not felony - cases in California, is that a no contest plea cannot be used to prove liability in civil proceedings that may arise out of the same conduct.

Expungement allows you to answer on the majority of employment applications that you have not been convicted.

However, when applying for governments job, security clearances or government-issued licenses, certificates, or permits, the conviction will be discovered. In such cases, you should always disclose the initial conviction and its later expungement.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bmw128

So when asked if I was arrested I brought up the arrest in 2009 and told the officer that all charges were dropped, but I did not mention the juvenile arrest. After he checked the status of the 2009 case he immediately asked me what happened in 2003, which caught me off guard but I answered honestly that it was a juvenile case where the charges were dropped and the case expunged. He said because it was 10+ years ago it would not affect the application (BUT also why would it...an arrest is not a conviction. What happened to innocence until proven guilty???)...and that I would need court documentation to prove the disposition of the 2009 case. He also explained that I might be flagged every time I enter the country because of these arrests, which seemed odd - again, no convictions!

Moral of the story - they know everything. Don't hide anything.
And get court paperwork prepared ahead of the interview.
Glad you shared your experience. Sorry that after hours of reading this thread, you failed to see the multiple posts by myself and others that repeatedly warn to be completely honest in the interview. We really, really mean it...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:21 pm

Has anyone recently gotten a response from the Ombudsman? How long did you have to wait?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:37 pm

For anyone who has been denied without even getting an interview, do they mail you anything more detailed than the form denial letter they post to your account?

The only issue I saw on my application is that I have one number wrong on a zip code (zip code I put is still the same town). But isn't that something you'd clear up at the interview? I have zero criminal history, was born and raised in the US and have nothing in my travel history that would be an issue. Do I just go straight to the ombudsman? I legit have no idea what the issue is.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RustyHippo
For anyone who has been denied without even getting an interview, do they mail you anything more detailed than the form denial letter they post to your account?

The only issue I saw on my application is that I have one number wrong on a zip code (zip code I put is still the same town). But isn't that something you'd clear up at the interview? I have zero criminal history, was born and raised in the US and have nothing in my travel history that would be an issue. Do I just go straight to the ombudsman? I legit have no idea what the issue is.
Take a look at this thread:
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:24 am

Moderator's Note:

Recent posts discussing applying for Global Entry with arrest records were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:48 pm

Review Time

Hello,

I just applied for Global Entry a week ago and am wondering how long until the "Pending Review" status will change. I have lived in 3 different countries - was born in one, left after high school to go to college elsewhere, and five years later ended up in the United States. I'm a citizen now. Will they request background information from all 3 countries? I'm in my 40s now so it's been a long time, but from reading the messages here they are interested even in underage stuff. Anyone got experience with this? I am a bit anxious because suddenly I am remembering all these incidents that could get me denied. When I returned from an international trip two days after 9/11 and was questioned, did I actually screw something up, or were they just being overly cautious? This dog that sniffed something in my carry-on 20 years ago in Australia that turned out to be leftover banana scent, did they take down my information? ...?

Thanks much
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by shadowdog
Hello,

I just applied for Global Entry a week ago and am wondering how long until the "Pending Review" status will change. I have lived in 3 different countries - was born in one, left after high school to go to college elsewhere, and five years later ended up in the United States. I'm a citizen now. Will they request background information from all 3 countries? I'm in my 40s now so it's been a long time, but from reading the messages here they are interested even in underage stuff. Anyone got experience with this? I am a bit anxious because suddenly I am remembering all these incidents that could get me denied. When I returned from an international trip two days after 9/11 and was questioned, did I actually screw something up, or were they just being overly cautious? This dog that sniffed something in my carry-on 20 years ago in Australia that turned out to be leftover banana scent, did they take down my information? ...?

Thanks much
Don't worry/ get anxious, just focus on other things in life. It can take anywhere 1-2 weeks to get conditional approve as it depends on individual profiles.

I've GE interview in 3 hours from now, but I am focusing on other things & will accept result when I sit in front of CBP interviewer. Getting GE denied is not end of your flying / traveling life. I was arrested once for non-payment of ticket (red signal violation) in student life, case was dismissed without any points on my driving record.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by johndoes
Don't worry/ get anxious, just focus on other things in life. It can take anywhere 1-2 weeks to get conditional approve as it depends on individual profiles.

I've GE interview in 3 hours from now, but I am focusing on other things & will accept result when I sit in front of CBP interviewer. Getting GE denied is not end of your flying / traveling life. I was arrested once for non-payment of ticket (red signal violation) in student life, case was dismissed without any points on my driving record.
How did it go for you? Coincidentally, I just got my Conditional Approval this morning... Took only 9 days, doubtful they were able to request background info from the 2 other countries in this time. Just have to figure out how to present myself at the interview to clear that last hurdle...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:28 am

Moderator's Note:

How did it go for you? Coincidentally, I just got my Conditional Approval this morning... Took only 9 days, doubtful they were able to request background info from the 2 other countries in this time. Just have to figure out how to present myself at the interview to clear that last hurdle...
Since johndoes' situation involved an arrest and our rules do not allow cross-posting, the outcome of his interview is discussed in the Global Entry With a Dismissed Arrest? thread:
Originally Posted by johndoes
Thanks for great info guys - I was approved for Global Entry yesterday. Office did ask about my arrest (why, when it happened, which city, final verdict). He did not look at any papers related to my arrest & approved right away.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:10 am

Reply to shadowdog

Hello,

I just applied for Global Entry a week ago and am wondering how long until the "Pending Review" status will change.
I registered on 01/11/2017 and got my conditional approval on 01/24/2017. So, it may take about 2 weeks.

I have lived in 3 different countries - was born in one, left after high school to go to college elsewhere, and five years later ended up in the United States. I'm a citizen now. Will they request background information from all 3 countries?
Same here - born in one country, grew up in a second, then came to the States and became a US citizen. Don't think they would check all the other countries.

When I returned from an international trip two days after 9/11 and was questioned, did I actually screw something up, or were they just being overly cautious? This dog that sniffed something in my carry-on 20 years ago in Australia that turned out to be leftover banana scent, did they take down my information? ...?
When I was still a US Permanent Resident, I went on a trip abroad. Coming back, I forgot my Green Card in my checked in luggage, but I still had my non-US passport on me. I had to transfer flights in Canada and pre-check into US customs there. When I explained the situation to the CBP Officer, I was taken for secondary inspection. After 1 hour of questioning, the CBP Officer canceled my ticket and told me he cannot let me into the States and that I needed to find my Green Card. I was really worried this situation would come up during the GE interview on 01/26/2017, but it never did.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 28, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: Fix BB Code

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.