Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by runderwo
...Admission of any previous marijuana use, even though it is currently legal where I live, will disqualify you for life from Global Entry under the "strict program requirements" banner.
That's -so- difficult to believe.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's -so- difficult to believe.
it's sometimes hard to understand what people write when they use several double negatives in a sentence.

I don't remember being asked about illegal drug use in my global entry interview. That being said. If I had arrests on my record, maybe they would have.

And I'm skeptical the feds would disclose info like that in response to a foia request and is would be exempt from disclosure.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Barring an arrest record I also find it hard to believe there would be any way for the government to know about or track illegal drug use. The fact you live in a state where marijuana is legal shouldn’t be an automatic disqualification. If it was I’d think we would have seen a mass of folks from those states posting here.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 25, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 am

Hello -

Sometime in the early 80's, i received a ticket for careless or reckless operation. I went to court, paid the fine, did not get into trouble for 6 months. and that was it.

Should i have any issues with this? - thx
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:07 am

I don't think so , I had one in 2007, and nothing never happened, I got my GE card in a week after my interview in sept.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by HASEEB 5408
I don't think so , I had one in 2007, and nothing never happened, I got my GE card in a week after my interview in sept.
thx for the reply.

Was concerned b/c I believe this was a misdemeanor.. The city clerk cant find it in their records..
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:56 am

don't worry you will get your GE, I firmly believe that those who gets turned down,usually are the ones that lied on their application.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by friday252
Hello -

Sometime in the early 80's, i received a ticket for careless or reckless operation. I went to court, paid the fine, did not get into trouble for 6 months. and that was it.

Not if you disclose it before being asked about it.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello -

Was concerned b/c I believe this was a misdemeanor.. The city clerk cant find it in their records..
Take a look at these threads:
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Hello -
I think most data points suggest that one misdemeanor will not lead to rejection if it was more than 10 years ago. As long as you are honest about it, and don't have any other issues, you should be able to get approved.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
~I actually think I have messed up my application and I am going to be denied. (3 weeks now and no approval).

It asks. "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense in the United States or any other country?"

I answered NO.

However I was convicted of drink driving many many years ago when in my youth (in the UK). However. this was a ROAD TRAFFIC OFFENCE. and NOT a CRIMINAL OFFENCE.
They are very different things and very clear differences in law. I have no criminal record and have never technically been convicted of a criminal offence. So to my knowledge I answered 100% correctly and honestly. But yeah, the more I think about it, I really doubt they will see that.

I guess my question now is to anyone that has been denied, has it made getting into the US harder for you? I need to go in and out like 10 times a year I really hope this won't make it a nightmare.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
~I actually think I have messed up my application and I am going to be denied. (3 weeks now and no approval).

It asks. "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense in the United States or any other country?"

I answered NO.

However I was convicted of drink driving many many years ago when in my youth (in the UK). However. this was a ROAD TRAFFIC OFFENCE. and NOT a CRIMINAL OFFENCE.
They are very different things and very clear differences in law. I have no criminal record and have never technically been convicted of a criminal offence. So to my knowledge I answered 100% correctly and honestly. But yeah, the more I think about it, I really doubt they will see that.

I guess my question now is to anyone that has been denied, has it made getting into the US harder for you? I need to go in and out like 10 times a year I really hope this won't make it a nightmare.
Assuming you are granted Conditional Approval and granted an interview, just lay out your situation as you did here. You should not have any problems, although you maybe asked to provide more documentation.

Good luck.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Assuming you are granted Conditional Approval and granted an interview, just lay out your situation as you did here. You should not have any problems, although you maybe asked to provide more documentation.

Good luck.
Having spent the last 45 mins going through this thread and seeing some of the reasons people were denied GE I don't think I stand the tiniest chance to get it. I'm tempted to not even bother scheduling the interview if I do get conditional approval.
Does it affect my "normal" entry to the US having applied for and then being denied GE?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Drunk Driving is a criminal offence in the UK. See here for example or here

If you went to court then you have a conviction

3 weeks isn't out of the ordinary at the moment to get conditional approval - and some people are waiting longer than that.

If you do get CA then go to the interview and explain to the officer the situation so be honest about it.

Being turned down should not affect future entries into the US
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Drunk Driving is a criminal offence in the UK. See here for example or here

If you went to court then you have a conviction

3 weeks isn't out of the ordinary at the moment to get conditional approval - and some people are waiting longer than that.

If you do get CA then go to the interview and explain to the officer the situation so be honest about it.

Being turned down should not affect future entries into the US
Well I was assured by the courts and my lawyer that it was NOT a criminal offence but a road traffic offence when I was convicted (over 20 years ago). Perhaps that has changed between then and now? If so does my previous road traffic offence become a criminal offence or not?

Alas, if it is deemed one then I am screwed because I put no on my application.
Wish I had never applied to be honest. that's $100 I won't see again.

Last edited by cupsandsaucers; Oct 4, 2018 at 4:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.