7 Crazy Days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
7 Crazy Days

Index to my trip reports

If you like this report, you may be interested in some of my other trip reports.
  1. AKL-YYZ with NZ/AC in F & C - my first trip report
  2. Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI) - somewhere different
  3. Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 - 2 long flights back to back
  4. 7 Crazy Days - includes an almost inaugural flight
  5. Champagne and figure eights on ice - Antarctica flightseeing
  6. a Lit.tle sPRinG.Ly JoUrney (BUDding KiwiS Can zig-ZAG around Europe) - mostly central and eastern Europe
  7. Big DO DOs - or a Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness - lots of flights
  8. Another Manic Month for Kiwi - again lots of flights
  9. Mini Tour of NZ - over 100 domestic flights in New Zealand covering all domestic routes (ongoing)
  10. Across the Globe in 5 Continents - criss-crossing the globe
  11. Auckland to National Park by Train - train in New Zealand's North Island
  12. Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again - criss-crossing the globe, but this time mainly on One World
  13. A Warm Embrace of the Tropics - short trips to the tropical South Pacific
  14. Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights - name says it all really
  15. Across the Globe in 4 Continents - around the world on star alliance, including some unusual flights
  16. Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler - a sampling of Qantas flights, domestic and international, in economy and business (ongoing)
  17. Around the World in Under 60 Hours - around the world in a weekend
  18. The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours - what a contrast, Asia and Qantas' new first class lounges
  19. Fast on the ground and in the air - it must be Shanghai – a flying visit to Shanghai + Maglev
  20. It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y – mostly One World
  21. Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes - 16 crossings of the Pacific plus some other related flights
  22. It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island - a visit to Chatham Islands coincides with New Zealand's first hijacking attempt
  23. There and back - first day Air NZ flies to Coolangatta (Gold Coast)
  24. A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C? - Axis of Evil 0 US Immigration 1
  25. Wellington to Auckland by train - self-explanatory title
  26. A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights - a double longhaul inaugural, domestic international shuttle and domestic leg of an international flight
  27. Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline - featuring new QF First on A380 special flight, "you have to get off now", and 105th different current route with NZ
  28. One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere - mostly Southern Hemisphere and mostly on One World on a mix of products
  29. Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y – starting with EK First on A380 and ending with Qantas economy, with a lot of travel mostly on *A in between
  30. An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?) - combining an FT Do with an aerial tour of northern Queensland
  31. The Ultimate Qantas Flight - short report on the ultimate flight
  32. Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia) - experiencing the forward cabins on Trans-Tasman flights (ongoing)
  33. 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy - my journey to & from the *A / Airbus Mega Do
  34. NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special) - an odd collection of flight routes & schedules around the world
  35. From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight - some firsts of all types
  36. G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class - a day & night tripping around the South Pacific on Air NZ
  37. A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates - long distance in style
  38. A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business - a quick longhaul trip featuring some old and new products
  39. Star Alliance tres primo, and tres biz - a trio of first and business on Star Alliance
  40. A few flights to end 2011 - a quick trip around the world + more
  41. Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012 - a selection of my 2012 travels
  42. Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business – mostly Sky Team
  43. Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
  44. A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:12 pm Reason: update index of my TRs
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

PRELIMINARIES

I had 7 crazy days that saw me fly 46,450 miles criss-crossing the globe mid last year. The trip included the inaugural longest flights SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 as well as a new route on NZ, SFO-AKL.

The inaugural AKL-SFO was 30 June 2004. Due to the schedules (and distances involved), it was impossible for me to be on this inaugural as well. However potentially I could have been on the inaugural return flight, SFO-AKL, but only if I rearranged flights including taking SIN-LAX non-stop the day arriving back at SIN from EWR. Not even I am that mad although to be honest I did consider it However, this would have been too expensive so it was not meant to be.

The AKL-SFO NZ flight operates only 3 times a week on 747-400 a/c. As 1 July wasn’t one of those days, and no other airline operates this route, I needed to travel via LAX.

The itinerary was AKL-SIN-BKK-SIN-EWR-SIN-BKK-SIN-AKL-LAX-SFO-AKL. I have already reported on the first part of the trip (see link in first paragraph). At the request of several FTers I am now belatedly writing up the second part of the trip. This report is about the last couple of days covering AKL-LAX-SFO-AKL, and is written from memory six months after the trip. So, apologies in advance for any omissions or errors (hopefully few).

================

Passing time at AKL
1 July

The previous report finished when I had just travelled continuously for 4 days going from Auckland to New York via Bangkok and Singapore and SIN, and had arrived back at AKL. This traveller’s tale now resumes.

On arrival at AKL I went directly to the Air NZ international lounge. Although I had several hours until my next flight I had decided to skip the hassles of immigration, traffic to and fro the city including a return in rush hour (maybe an hour each way), check-in and immigration once more. (I could guess the questions that immigration would have on my return, starting with “You arrived here today from Singapore and now leaving for Los Angeles – why on earth didn’t you fly to LA from Singapore?”)

As an aside, anyone with international connection of less than 24 hours in New Zealand who wishes to (or is required to) leave airside should proceed to transit desk to collect a departure fee exemption sticker. This saves having to pay the NZ$25 departure fee that must be paid at the airport. For more details please see the AKL thread in South Pacific forum.

So instead of exiting, I rocked up to the lounge reception. First up, pick up boarding pass and try to get a good seat. Got the BP for AKL-LAX but not able to get LAX-SFO as United hadn’t opened the flight yet. Odd – its less than 24 hours away which I managed to get BPs for with other airlines in the past. Oh well, the nice lady would print it and hand it to me in the lounge when it opened.

I was fortunate enough to be flying First for the rest of this trip, however the F lounge wasn’t yet opened. Never mind, business lounge is pretty good (see NZ forum for lounge reviews). This may be my last flights in F on NZ, with the long haul refurbishment starting mid 2005 F is being abolished.

Check-in seen to, it was time for a shower. Oh that felt good. Also a chance to iron a clean shirt to change into (iron kept by the showers in the lounge).

I then checked some emails and caught up with some work. Before long I was interrupted and discreetly told the F lounge is now open. A nice touch to come find me in what is quite a busy lounge. Pop over to F to find it deserted. Back to more work, but find some time to browse FT and also post part of the SIN-EWR trip report.

A few nice hours later in the oasis (the F lounge wasn’t particularly busy this time – there are only a few *A F flights out from AKL and apparently not too many F passengers today) and boarding was announced. The time seemed to have flown by. Was it tiredness starting to catch up, or maybe I’d had a few too many drinks? Actually the call was economy has commenced boarding and folk in the lounge need to head for gate, final call in 2 minutes.

Flights from AKL to the US leave from the end of the pier and there is additional screening of carry-ons before the gate. There are 2 gates and sometimes there will be 2 747s heading to the US both boarding at the same time. Can cause some chaos both at screening and in the gate area (really only big enough for one 747 load of passengers). Fortunately tonight my flight was the only one so not too crowded.

Clear the screening – for once no interest shown in the 2 SQ commemorative pewter thingamybobs (see earlier TR for more on these). Immediately I can see there is no boarding in progress. As one of the last passengers to enter the gate area I see it is fairly full.

A few minutes later there is announcement of a slight delay, but boarding should commence shortly. Several minutes later, an apology but a minor mechanical issue is being dealt with and a further 30 minute delay until boarding. So I join a dozen others in heading back to the lounge. The lady on reception apologises for sending us to the gate too early and we settle for another drink.

Eventually boarding is announced so back to the gate. Through rescreening again – comments of déjà vue from all.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:12 pm Reason: added links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Back to the USA
1 July

While this trip has been posted in sections (a) Auckland to New York return (via Singapore and Bangkok) and (b) Auckland to San Francisco return; I could have split the trip differently. Perhaps (a) Auckland to New York via Singapore and Bangkok, (b) New York to San Francisco the long way and (c) home to Auckland? Indeed from New York (EWR) to San Francisco (SFO) I travelled continuously for almost 3 days without leaving aircraft/airside, over many times the direct distance. How many others would be crazy to fly via SIN, BKK, SIN (again), AKL and LAX?

Now where was I, oh yeah, boarding the NZ 747-400 bound for LAX. A short queue and then its to my seat by the window in the nose. I was helped to put my bags into the bins (did I mention I had a couple of carry-ons plus the 2 large SQ pewter thingamybobs? – quite a load). F is fairly empty (about 6 passengers, seats 12 in 3 rows or 2 by 2). FA asks me if I want to pick another seat further from any galley noise but I say this one is fine.

Enough time for a glass or two of champagne while boarding completes. Can’t be sure given the passage of time but it possibly was Mumms? Also served some nuts and fruit. Pilot apologises for the delay and refers to a mechanical issue without specifying what it is. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d much rather a lengthy delay than a rushed inspection/repairs. I’d never really thought about it before but its quite tricky to get the balance right between informing passengers and placating them for the delay (never nice for a long haul flight leaving late at night); but not worrying them unduly about the state of the aircraft. Anyway I think the pilot did a reasonable job with his announcement.

What are NZ’s seats in F like you ask, or at least you would if I gave a chance. Wider than biz class, the usual NZ comfort (nice soft thick cushions), goes flatter than biz seat although not totally flat (and as others have mentioned the leg rest doesn’t come up to vertical), wider armrests. Manual seat adjustment! Plenty of space with only 12 seats.

Well over an hour behind schedule and we finally depart. It means a very late dinner by my body clock (surprised it is still roughly on NZ time by this stage). The airport is winding down at this hour so not much activity to see out the window as we taxi. I check the IFE listings for something to watch before and during dinner. With only 8 channels (each with 2 cycles repeating) in first and business on NZ, and it is no surprise given the number of recent flights that I have seen all the movies that interest me.

First also has the option of personal DVD from a selection of about 20 movies, so I select a movie from that. As an aside, NZ also provides personal DVDs on the Airbus A320 a/c in business class as there is no PTV. Currently there is also an option on selected trans-tasman flights for any passenger to rent a DVD (for a fee) – organised through Air NZ and Blockbuster. This may change by the time any reader takes these flights. Starting mid 2005 the long haul aircraft are being refurbished and all seats will have PTVs including AVOD and hundreds of channels as well as changes to classes offered and seats (suites for new business class) – refer NZ forum for more info if interested. [Add links here]

Once high enough we are again offered a drink – the good stuff now so how can I say no? Not much later and it is time for dinner.

Here is the menu for AKL-LAX on NZ in F

DINNER

Appetiser

Marinated king prawns with melon, caramelised pineapple, watercress and lime avocado oil vinaigrette

Oven roasted pears on rocket and radish salad, shaved parmesan, toasted almonds and lemon infused olive oil

Soup

Lobster and Waikanae crab soup with crème fraiche and fresh chives

Main Selections

New Zealand lamb cutlets with Horopito rub on potato gnocchi, minted pea puree and Piko Piko

[b]Herb and mustard chicken breast[b] served with fondant potatoes, wilted spinach, asparagus and red wine mustard sauce

Grilled New Zealand King Salmon and scallops on Harbourside coleslaw, with wild rice and spring onion cakes and fresh ginger and lime relish

Vegetarian Choice

Chickpea, bean and eggplant timbale served with spicy herb falafels, tomato cumin yoghurt dressing, and carrot and orange sauce

Salad

Freshly tossed salad offered with your choice of aioli dressing or extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinaigrette. You may choose this either as a side salad to accompany your main selection or as a separate course

Desserts

Warmed apple and pecan tart with vanilla caramel sauce and vanilla king ice cream

Kapiti ginger passion and chocolate ice cream with wild berry compote

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese and seasonal fruit

Beverages

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Light Refreshment

A selection of light refreshments, cold snacks, sandwiches and fruit is available at any time throughout the flight

BREAKFAST

Beverages

Your selection of juice, fruit smoothie, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Appetiser

Fresh fruit selection with assorted cereals and organic yoghurt

Main Selections

Three egg omelette filled with spinach and gruyere cheese, served with asparagus and Lyonnaise potatoes

Poached eggs with hollandaise sauce English muffin, grilled ham and roasted Roma tomatoes

Creamy herb scrambled eggs served on toasted brioche with fried potatoes, tomatoes and organic pork sausages

Field mushroom ragout with Roma tomatoes and grilled Canadian bacon

Bakery Selection

Warm croissants, muffins, white and wholemeal toast with assorted conserves

A REFRESHING SELECTION BEVERAGES

Aperitifs

Lustrau Fino Sherry
Vermouth sweet or dry
Campari

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Wild Turkey Bourbon
Bombay Sapphire Gin
42 Below Vodka
Henessy XO
Ron Bacardi Superior
Appleton Estate Rum

Port and Liquers

Taylors 20 year Tawny Port
Cointreau
Drambuie
Tia Maria
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Orange juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale and a choice of diabetic drinks are available

White Wine

Palliser Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2002 Martinborough New Zealand
Renwick Estate Chardonnay 2000 Marlborough New Zealand
Montana Patutahi Gewurtztraminer 2002 Gisborne New Zealand

Red Wine

Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir 2002 Canterbury New Zealand
Kilikanoon Convenant Shiraz 1998 Clare Valley South Australia
Mills Reef Elspeth Cabernet Merlot 2000 Hawkes Bay New Zealand

Dessert Wine

Selaks Founders Reserve Noble Riesling 2001 Marlborough New Zealand

Champagne

Moet et Chandon Dom Perignon 1995
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Back in the USA
1 July

Dinner and drinks over, the movie finished and time for some sleep. All too soon I awake and we are about 2 hours out from LAX. Shortly after it is time to freshen up and have breakfast.

Apparently we had a good tail-wind (as is often the case for NZ or Australia to USA) and we have made up some time. However we still pull up at the gate an hour later than scheduled. Having crossed the time zone it is still 1 July, and less than 3 days after I had left USA at EWR. As my connection was originally only a couple of hours I know it is going to be tight. But there is no point being stressed about it – will try my best to make the LAX-SFO flight but if not then there are later flights I could hopefully be rebooked on instead.

One of the first off the plane and no bags to collect so I race to immigration. I braced myself for questions as to why I had left USA for Singapore only a few days earlier and now arriving back in USA from the opposite direction, namely NZ. However there were no hard questions and I was quickly through. Out of terminal 2 I head and up to departures level only to see the Star Alliance inter-terminal bus pull away. Rats, probably another 15 minutes until the next one. Okay I now have perhaps 40 minutes until my flight leaves from United terminal way on the other side of LAX.

I racked my brain struggling to recall a shortcut through the parking lots but failed to immediately remember where to go. So instead of searching for a way through I play it safe and follow the walkway in front of the terminals. I must have looked a sight – running along the path, shouting at folk to clear the way (why must everyone dump bags across the whole path while leaving their bus/taxi?), and lugging a pile of carry-ons that are awkward to carry (on account two of them being boxed SQ pewter thingmybobs)!

Breathless I arrive at elite entrance to security on United terminal (thanks to FT for pointing this out) which luckily has very small queue. Once again I have to open the boxes for SQ pewter thingmybobs for security to inspect and then repack. While doing so I see/overhear my neighbour having trouble taking a large metal tube as carry-on. Not sure exactly what it was for as it just looked an ordinary metal tube to me, but he was made to check it in amid much cursing.

Up to the UA lounge for a quick freshen up. As is so often the case overseas, the lounge receptionist likes the look of my NZ *G card with its see-through section and nice picture. She informs me that the flight is just starting boarding – do I really want to use the lounge? Yes. A minute later I head out to the gate. I make myself known to the gate agent – just as well as they were about to give up on my making the flight and offer my seat to someone after an upgrade. A minute later and I board the UA 737.

Sorry, not much detail on the UA flight LAX-SFO. Nothing memorable although I did think the seat and (lack of) refreshments were very poor for what was after all an F ticket. Never mind - it’s a short flight and I’m not hungry or too thirsty.

I headed into the city on BART and enjoy plenty of touristy things for the next 24 hours. San Francisco seems nice and I’d like to go back for a more relaxed visit some day. Manage to fit in 2 Hilton stays at reasonable price.

All too soon its time to head back to SFO to catch the 2nd NZ flight SFO-AKL.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Home at last
2 July

There is a short queue at F check-in, although economy has a long queue snaking through the spacious departure area. However my hopes of a rapid check-in (just one boarding pass needed this time for the first time all trip!) were to be dashed.

The check-in agent was having many problems with the system and printers so it took a long time to check-in. In this period maybe a dozen economy passengers were checked in, so disappointing effort. However still much quicker than joining the other queue and gave me time to observe some of my fellow passengers. Having the boarding pass and off to security which amazingly has no queue at all. Once again the rigmarole with the SQ pewter thingymybobs.

A quick walk down the pier shows few shops and none of interest, SQ lounge is closed there being no SQ flights at this time and only UA lounges open. So into UA F lounge which I’d heard (on FT of course) good reports. Certainly the lounge looks to be better than any other I have visited in north america (admittedly a very small number), although disappointed there is no internet terminals. Have some coffee to stay awake for the late hour of departure – lack of sleep and criss-crossing so many timezones over the past several days finally starting to catch up with me.

It doesn’t seem long and its time to head to the large departure gate and only a brief delay and board the 747-400 bound for AKL. This time F is totally full. Seems like most passengers were VIPs who had come over on the inaugural flight a couple of days prior. There were also some who popped up to talk from (I presume) business class. (The VIPs shall remain nameless – my lips are sealed.) I thanked my lucky stars for being able to fly in first – it could easily have been filled just with VIPs.

This flight passed much like the AKL-LAX flight. Nice pre-departure and pre-dinner drinks. Watch a DVD – something I’d seen several times before so not watching with any particular vigour. Chat with some fellow passengers. Amazingly quickly for such a long haul flight and its time for breakfast a couple hours before arrival into AKL. Note this is very early NZ time (about 3:30am) so consider whether you want to sleep in and advise FA accordingly.

Here is the menu for SFO-AKL on NZ in F

DINNER

Appetiser

Tamarind, lime and palm sugar marinated seafood with green papaya salad

Sun dried tomato goat cheese ravioli with eggplant and red endive and basil balsamic vinaigrette

Soup

Sweet corn ginger chestnut soup with pasta fritto

Main Selections

Sauteed beef tenderloin with herb glaze grilled tomato and truffle potato croquette, roasted garlic and pinot noir sauce

Mediterranean herb marinated chicken brochette with grilled vegetable and lemon oregano olive oil dressing

Sauteed fillet of cod on crisp pasta and garden vegetable, mild chilli tomato ginger lemon grass sauce

Vegetarian Choice

Grilled vegetable with organic tofu in pastry with tomato tofutti fine herb sauce

Salad

Freshly tossed salad offered with your choice of Roquefort dressing or extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. You may choose this either as a side salad to accompany your main selection or as a separate course

Desserts

Kiwifruit blueberry Bavarian cream

Organic ice cream selection with fresh berries

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese and seasonal fruit

Beverages

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Light Refreshment

A selection of light refreshments, cold snacks, sandwiches and fruit is available at any time throughout the flight

BREAKFAST

Beverages

Your selection of juice, fruit smoothie, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

Appetiser

Fresh fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Main Selections

Egg beater omelette with Californian vegetables and herbs

Belgian waffles, strawberries, dark maple syrup and freshly whipped banana cream

Herb scrambled eggs with sun dried tomato chicken sausage, kassler ham, tomato and asparagus

Egg frittata with ham, mushroom, tomato, onion, zucchini and potato with bell pepper, served with oyster mushrooms and asparagus

Bakery Selection

Warm croissants, muffins, white and wholemeal toast with assorted conserves

A REFRESHING SELECTION BEVERAGES

Aperitifs

Lustrau Fino Sherry
Vermouth sweet or dry
Campari

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Wild Turkey Bourbon
Bombay Sapphire Gin
42 Below Vodka
Henessy XO
Ron Bacardi Superior
Appleton Estate Rum

Port and Liquers

Taylors 20 year Tawny Port
Cointreau
Drambuie
Tia Maria
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Orange juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale and a choice of diabetic drinks are available

White Wine

Renwick Estate Chardonnay 2000 Marlborough New Zealand
Palliser Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2002 Martinborough New Zealand
Grove Mill Riesling Winemakers Reserve 1999 Marlborough New Zealand
Mt Pleasant Lovedale Semillon 1997 New South Wales Australia

Red Wine

Martinborough Pinot Noir 2001 Martinborough New Zealand
Mills Reef Elspeth Cabernet Merlot 2000 Hawkes Bay New Zealand
Langmeil “Freedom” Shiraz 2001 Barossa Valley Australia

Dessert Wine

Forrest Estate Riesling 2001 Marlborough New Zealand

Champagne

Moet et Chandon Dom Perignon 1995

Despite arriving the same time as the LAX flight (and also PER flight) it was fairly quick clearing immigration and agriculture (x-ray). Surprisingly I didn’t get asked too many questions about countries visited in last 30 days, nor about the transit in AKL a couple of days earlier (immigration would be aware of this thanks to the passenger details that they are sent before each flight to NZ departs).

It now being 4 July I had finished the crazy 7 days (well several hours less than 7 days to be precise) – only slightly tired and certainly very happy. I had just travelled the equivalent distance of more than twice around the world in under 7 days!

I hope that this report has been interesting for readers. I am happy to answer any questions or correct any errors that folk may pick up.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:27 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Kiwi Flyer, you are certifiably insane. Great report... ^ though it makes me tired just reading it!

Thanks for the menu transcripts - was the food as good as it sounds? How do you rate the food on NZ vs SQ?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:08 pm

This is a wonddrful report. I KNOW that you are not insane. I know that you are just love flying as much as I do..
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Kiwi Flyer is most defenitely insane.

Nice report though. ^
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Thanks for the menu transcripts - was the food as good as it sounds? How do you rate the food on NZ vs SQ?
From memory I had

AKL-LAX

Marinated king prawns
Lobster and Waikanae crab soup
Chickpea, bean and eggplant timbale Freshly tossed salad
Kapiti ginger passion and chocolate ice cream with wild berry compote
Cheese and Fruit

+ assorted drinks

SFO-AKL

Sun dried tomato goat cheese ravioli
Sweet corn ginger chestnut soup
Sauteed fillet of cod
Freshly tossed salad
Organic ice cream selection with fresh berries
Cheese and Fruit

+ assorted drinks

All were very tasty, though as usual a struggle to get through and had to leave some to save room for later courses.

It's not a fair comparison between SQ business and NZ first, but from my limited experience I think NZ first is better and even in business NZ is more consistently good. However, I think SQ does better at ensuring every menu has a good light meal option.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What a fantastic journey! I am drooling with envy out here in the desert. Thanks, kiwi flyer for bringing the Trip Report portion of your trip to a most eloquent and well written end. ^ ^
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I thought the trip from USA east coast to west coast the long way, as reported in my some FTers do inaugural world's longest flight SIN-EWR vv and 7 crazy days trip reports, would forever be my craziest routing to get from one side of USA to the other. In that case I flew EWR-SIN-BKK-SIN-AKL-LAX-SFO (with AKL-SIN-BKK-SIN-EWR immediately preceding those flights and followed a day later by SFO-AKL).

I was wrong. I will soon be taking an even crazier routing. See Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.