FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7 Crazy Days
Thread: 7 Crazy Days
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:26 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
PRELIMINARIES

I had 7 crazy days that saw me fly 46,450 miles criss-crossing the globe mid last year. The trip included the inaugural longest flights SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 as well as a new route on NZ, SFO-AKL.

The inaugural AKL-SFO was 30 June 2004. Due to the schedules (and distances involved), it was impossible for me to be on this inaugural as well. However potentially I could have been on the inaugural return flight, SFO-AKL, but only if I rearranged flights including taking SIN-LAX non-stop the day arriving back at SIN from EWR. Not even I am that mad although to be honest I did consider it However, this would have been too expensive so it was not meant to be.

The AKL-SFO NZ flight operates only 3 times a week on 747-400 a/c. As 1 July wasn’t one of those days, and no other airline operates this route, I needed to travel via LAX.

The itinerary was AKL-SIN-BKK-SIN-EWR-SIN-BKK-SIN-AKL-LAX-SFO-AKL. I have already reported on the first part of the trip (see link in first paragraph). At the request of several FTers I am now belatedly writing up the second part of the trip. This report is about the last couple of days covering AKL-LAX-SFO-AKL, and is written from memory six months after the trip. So, apologies in advance for any omissions or errors (hopefully few).

================

Passing time at AKL
1 July

The previous report finished when I had just travelled continuously for 4 days going from Auckland to New York via Bangkok and Singapore and SIN, and had arrived back at AKL. This traveller’s tale now resumes.

On arrival at AKL I went directly to the Air NZ international lounge. Although I had several hours until my next flight I had decided to skip the hassles of immigration, traffic to and fro the city including a return in rush hour (maybe an hour each way), check-in and immigration once more. (I could guess the questions that immigration would have on my return, starting with “You arrived here today from Singapore and now leaving for Los Angeles – why on earth didn’t you fly to LA from Singapore?”)

As an aside, anyone with international connection of less than 24 hours in New Zealand who wishes to (or is required to) leave airside should proceed to transit desk to collect a departure fee exemption sticker. This saves having to pay the NZ$25 departure fee that must be paid at the airport. For more details please see the AKL thread in South Pacific forum.

So instead of exiting, I rocked up to the lounge reception. First up, pick up boarding pass and try to get a good seat. Got the BP for AKL-LAX but not able to get LAX-SFO as United hadn’t opened the flight yet. Odd – its less than 24 hours away which I managed to get BPs for with other airlines in the past. Oh well, the nice lady would print it and hand it to me in the lounge when it opened.

I was fortunate enough to be flying First for the rest of this trip, however the F lounge wasn’t yet opened. Never mind, business lounge is pretty good (see NZ forum for lounge reviews). This may be my last flights in F on NZ, with the long haul refurbishment starting mid 2005 F is being abolished.

Check-in seen to, it was time for a shower. Oh that felt good. Also a chance to iron a clean shirt to change into (iron kept by the showers in the lounge).

I then checked some emails and caught up with some work. Before long I was interrupted and discreetly told the F lounge is now open. A nice touch to come find me in what is quite a busy lounge. Pop over to F to find it deserted. Back to more work, but find some time to browse FT and also post part of the SIN-EWR trip report.

A few nice hours later in the oasis (the F lounge wasn’t particularly busy this time – there are only a few *A F flights out from AKL and apparently not too many F passengers today) and boarding was announced. The time seemed to have flown by. Was it tiredness starting to catch up, or maybe I’d had a few too many drinks? Actually the call was economy has commenced boarding and folk in the lounge need to head for gate, final call in 2 minutes.

Flights from AKL to the US leave from the end of the pier and there is additional screening of carry-ons before the gate. There are 2 gates and sometimes there will be 2 747s heading to the US both boarding at the same time. Can cause some chaos both at screening and in the gate area (really only big enough for one 747 load of passengers). Fortunately tonight my flight was the only one so not too crowded.

Clear the screening – for once no interest shown in the 2 SQ commemorative pewter thingamybobs (see earlier TR for more on these). Immediately I can see there is no boarding in progress. As one of the last passengers to enter the gate area I see it is fairly full.

A few minutes later there is announcement of a slight delay, but boarding should commence shortly. Several minutes later, an apology but a minor mechanical issue is being dealt with and a further 30 minute delay until boarding. So I join a dozen others in heading back to the lounge. The lady on reception apologises for sending us to the gate too early and we settle for another drink.

Eventually boarding is announced so back to the gate. Through rescreening again – comments of déjà vue from all.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:12 pm Reason: added links