Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

Index to my trip reports

If you like this report, you may be interested in some of my other trip reports.
  1. AKL-YYZ with NZ/AC in F & C - my first trip report
  2. Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI) - somewhere different
  3. Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 - 2 long flights back to back
  4. 7 Crazy Days - includes an almost inaugural flight
  5. Champagne and figure eights on ice - Antarctica flightseeing
  6. a Lit.tle sPRinG.Ly JoUrney (BUDding KiwiS Can zig-ZAG around Europe) - mostly central and eastern Europe
  7. Big DO DOs - or a Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness - lots of flights
  8. Another Manic Month for Kiwi - again lots of flights
  9. Mini Tour of NZ - over 100 domestic flights in New Zealand covering all domestic routes (ongoing)
  10. Across the Globe in 5 Continents - criss-crossing the globe
  11. Auckland to National Park by Train - train in New Zealand's North Island
  12. Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again - criss-crossing the globe, but this time mainly on One World
  13. A Warm Embrace of the Tropics - short trips to the tropical South Pacific
  14. Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights - name says it all really
  15. Across the Globe in 4 Continents - around the world on star alliance, including some unusual flights
  16. Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler - a sampling of Qantas flights, domestic and international, in economy and business (ongoing)
  17. Around the World in Under 60 Hours - around the world in a weekend
  18. The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours - what a contrast, Asia and Qantas' new first class lounges
  19. Fast on the ground and in the air - it must be Shanghai – a flying visit to Shanghai + Maglev
  20. It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y – mostly One World
  21. Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes - 16 crossings of the Pacific plus some other related flights
  22. It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island - a visit to Chatham Islands coincides with New Zealand's first hijacking attempt
  23. There and back - first day Air NZ flies to Coolangatta (Gold Coast)
  24. A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C? - Axis of Evil 0 US Immigration 1
  25. Wellington to Auckland by train - self-explanatory title
  26. A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights - a double longhaul inaugural, domestic international shuttle and domestic leg of an international flight
  27. Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline - featuring new QF First on A380 special flight, "you have to get off now", and 105th different current route with NZ
  28. One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere - mostly Southern Hemisphere and mostly on One World on a mix of products
  29. Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y – starting with EK First on A380 and ending with Qantas economy, with a lot of travel mostly on *A in between
  30. An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?) - combining an FT Do with an aerial tour of northern Queensland
  31. The Ultimate Qantas Flight - short report on the ultimate flight
  32. Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia) - experiencing the forward cabins on Trans-Tasman flights (ongoing)
  33. 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy - my journey to & from the *A / Airbus Mega Do
  34. NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special) - an odd collection of flight routes & schedules around the world
  35. From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight - some firsts of all types
  36. G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class - a day & night tripping around the South Pacific on Air NZ
  37. A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates - long distance in style
  38. A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business - a quick longhaul trip featuring some old and new products
  39. Star Alliance tres primo, and tres biz - a trio of first and business on Star Alliance
  40. A few flights to end 2011 - a quick trip around the world + more
  41. Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012 - a selection of my 2012 travels
  42. Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business – mostly Sky Team
  43. Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
  44. A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 3:53 pm Reason: Updated index of my TRs
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Index to this trip report
  1. Introduction
  2. An Appetizer
  3. Auckland to Los Angeles business class menu
  4. Auckland to Los Angeles (AKL-LAX) on Air New Zealand 747 in business class
  5. Los Angeles to Guatemala City and Back (LAX-GUA-LAX) on United 757 in business class
  6. Los Angeles to London Heathrow business class menu
  7. Los Angeles to London Heathrow (LAX-LHR) on Air New Zealand 747 in business class
  8. London Heathrow transit
  9. London Heathrow to Los Angeles business class menu
  10. London Heathrow to Los Angeles (LHR-LAX) on Air New Zealand 747 in business class
  11. Los Angeles to San Salvador and Back (LAX-SAL-LAX) on American Airlines 757 in business class
  12. Los Angeles to Rarotonga business class menu
  13. Los Angeles to Rarotonga (LAX-RAR) on Air New Zealand 767 in business class
  14. Rarotonga to Auckland business class menu
  15. Rarotonga to Auckland (RAR-AKL) on Air New Zealand 767 in business class
  16. Some domestic flights on Air New Zealand 737 in economy class
  17. In between courses
  18. Auckland to Singapore (AKL-SIN) on Singapore Airlines 777-200ER in business class
  19. Auckland to Singapore business class menu
  20. Singapore to London Heathrow business class menu
  21. Singapore to London Heathrow (SIN-LHR) on Singapore Airlines 747-400 in business class
  22. London Heathrow to Zurich (LHR-ZRH) on Swiss A320 in business class
  23. Zurich to >Tripoli (ZRH-TIP) on Swiss A319 in business class
  24. In transit in Tripoli
  25. Tripoli to Vienna business class menu
  26. Tripoli to Vienna (TIP-VIE) on Austrian arrows (operated by Tyrolean) Fokker 100 in business class
  27. Vienna
  28. Off to Iraq / Kurdistan (visa and entry requirements)
  29. Vienna to Erbil (VIE-EBL) on Austrian Airlines A319 in business class
  30. In transit in Erbil
  31. Erbil to Vienna (EBL-VIE) on Austrian Airlines A319 in business class
  32. Vienna to Erbil business class menu
  33. Erbil to Vienna business class menu
  34. Vienna to Frankfurt (VIE-FRA) on Adria Airlines CRJ900 in business class
  35. Frankfurt
  36. Frankfurt to Munich (FRA-MUC) on Lufthansa A300-600 in business class
  37. Munich to Belgrade (MUC-BEG) on Lufthansa A319-100 in business class
  38. In transit in Belgrade
  39. Belgrade to Zurich (BEG-ZRH) on Swiss A320 in business class
  40. Zurich to Frankfurt (ZRH-FRA) on Lufthansa 737-300 in business class
  41. Is a Tunisian turnaround possible?
  42. Frankfurt to Tunis business class menu
  43. Frankfurt to Tunis (FRA-TUN) on Lufthansa A319-100 in business class
  44. In transit in Tunis
  45. Tunis to Frankfurt (TUN-FRA) on Lufthansa A319-100 in business class
  46. Frankfurt to Linz (FRA-LNZ) on Lufthansa operated by CityLine CRJ700 in business class
  47. Linz to Munich (LNZ-MUC) on Lufthansa operated by Augsburg Airways Dash 8-300 in business class
  48. Munich to Frankfurt (MUC-FRA) on Lufthansa A320-200 in business class
  49. Frankfurt to Tehran (FRA-IKA) on Lufthansa A340-300 in business class
  50. Frankfurt to Tehran business class menu
  51. In transit in Tehran
  52. Tehran to Vienna (IKA-VIE) on Austrian Airlines A321 in business class
  53. In transit in Vienna
  54. Vienna to Sarajevo (VIE-SJJ) on Austrian Airlines A319 in business class
  55. Sarajevo to Zagreb (SJJ-ZAG) on Croatian Airlines ATR42-300 in business class
  56. Zagreb to Munich (ZAG-MUC) on Croatian Airlines A319-100 in business class
  57. Munich
  58. Munich to Denver first class menu
  59. Munich first class lounge menu
  60. Munich to Denver (MUC-DEN) on Lufthansa A340-300 in first class
  61. Denver to Salt Lake City (DEN-SLC) on United 737-300 in first class
  62. Salt Lake City to Phoenix (SLC-PHX) on US Airways A319 in first class
  63. Phoenix to Los Angeles (PHX-LAX) on US Airways A319 in first class
  64. Los Angeles to Auckland business class menu
  65. Los Angeles to Auckland (LAX-AKL) on Air New Zealand 777-200ER in business class

Latest summary

As at post #138.
  • map
  • 74,641 flown miles
  • 40 flights
  • 15 a/c types
    • 747-400
    • 767-300
    • 737-300
    • 777-200ER
    • A320
    • A319
    • Fokker 100
    • CRJ900
    • A300-600
    • CRJ700
    • Dash 8-300
    • A340-300
    • A321
    • ATR42-300
  • 13 airlines
    • Air New Zealand
    • United Airlines
    • American Airlines
    • Singapore Airlines
    • Swiss
    • Austrian arrows operated by Tyrolean
    • Austrian Airlines
    • Adria Airlines
    • Lufthansa
    • Lufthansa operated by CityLine
    • Lufthansa operated by Augsburg Airways
    • Croatian Airlines
    • US Airways
  • 17 countries
    • New Zealand
    • United States of America
    • Guatemala
    • United Kingdom
    • El Salvador
    • Cook Islands
    • Singapore
    • Switzerland
    • Libya
    • Austria
    • Iraq
    • Germany
    • Serbia
    • Tunisia
    • Iran
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Croatia
  • 24 airports & 11 *A hubs
    • AKL (Auckland) - NZ hub
    • LAX (Los Angeles) - UA & NZ hub
    • GUA (Guatemala City)
    • LHR (London Heathrow) - BD hub
    • SAL (San Salvador)
    • RAR (Rarotonga)
    • CHC (Christchurch)
    • WLG (Wellington)
    • SIN (Singapore) - SQ hub
    • ZRH (Zurich) - LX hub
    • TIP (Tripoli) - FT MR favourite
    • VIE (Vienna) - OS hub
    • EBL (Erbil)
    • FRA (Frankfurt) - LH hub
    • MUC (Munich) - LH hub
    • BEG (Belgrade)
    • TUN (Tunisia)
    • LNZ (Linz)
    • IKA (Tehran)
    • SJJ (Sarajevo)
    • ZAG (Zagreb) - OU hub
    • DEN (Denver) - UA hub
    • SLC (Salt Lake City)
    • PHX (Phoenix) - US hub
  • personal firsts and other trivia
    • most times enter and leave the same country in less than a week = 4 times USA
    • first perfect *A RTW - 24 flights and 39,000 miles (for less than 12 hours after ticketing)
    • second attempt to visit Iraq successful
    • I now have 101 Travelers Century Club locations

===============

Introduction

Regular readers of the *A forum may recall some months ago I asked about *A RTW mileage limits - whether you are allowed right on the mileage limit or need to be under. It turns out you can be exactly on the mileage limit (xRWSTARx, Star Alliance round the world fares, are mileage based unlike their One World counterpart xONEx which is continent based). Yes, after years of trying and being rather close to the mileage limit before I stumbled across a routing that fully maximised the allowances. Not only was the routing bang on 39,000 miles (based on the online *A RTW mileage calculator tool), but it used every one of the 24 available sectors. When the number of sectors allowed in the fare rules (for both *A and OW RTWs) reduces to 16 shortly to accommodate IATA's eticketing mandate I will be unhappy at the extensive devaluation this represents (I'd be surprised if the fare reduces significantly to compensate).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 1, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
OK, now this is intriguing. Just out of curiosity, how many hours/days/months years did it take to come upon the permutation that gave exactly 39k miles and 24 sectors?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
and just how short a time are you proposing to complete this one in?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carbonchaser
OK, now this is intriguing. Just out of curiosity, how many hours/days/months years did it take to come upon the permutation that gave exactly 39k miles and 24 sectors?
It didn't take very long - a couple of days. It was a happy accident to get it bang on. In my planning I had other objectives that were more important.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
and just how short a time are you proposing to complete this one in?
You'll see soon enough. I did have a longish stopover between the first and second flights though.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay. The past few days have been rather hectic, and with a couple of days not flying but tied up in meetings the next couple will also be busy. As it is my usual practice to post as soon as possible after the flights, I hope to post the next bit soon.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

An Appetizer

Before the main event, I had another quick trip to the far side of the globe and back. This was booked not because I particularly needed the miles for an award or for status requalification, but rather a nice confluence of promotions opened up a nice opportunity for me.

Firstly there was a reasonable fare promotion. While not in the realms of the fares found in the Mileage Run forum this was not half bad. A sizeable discount to the normal fare, the comfort of flying Air New Zealand business class for about 48 hours, and flexibility in the fare rules to add stopovers (more on this later).

But wait, it gets better. There was also a promotion offering 50% bonus points that coincided with the sale. Yes. Four flights equals requalify top tier status. None of this mucking around with up to 169 domestic flights in mid fare class. Gulp down and get there in one bite - much easier and painless.

But wait, it gets better. There was also a promotion offering free 1 night hotel stopover in Los Angeles to promote Air NZ's new international multistop booking engine. That this engine is much worse than the old international multi-city booking engine, did not stop me from claiming the free night. As I was stopping over both ways, I chose the night that was most beneficial for me.

Now the reason for adding stopovers was to allow me to visit a couple of places I had not been before, and maybe catch up with some FTers in LAX instead of just flying through. After some investigation I found I could take side trips to 2 new countries - 1 flying United and the other flying American. I have access to the lounges provided by both airlines (Red Carpet Club on United and Flagship Lounge on American), but only the Flagship Lounge has a shower. Thus I worked my free hotel stay to the night of the United flight.

Great - I now had a plan.

Auckland to Los Angeles overnight, arriving same day thanks to the dateline.
Take the free shuttle to the free hotel to freshen up.
Make sure to charge something to the room for the stay credit
Check out early (ie in the evening) and go back to LAX on the shuttle.
Side trip on United - redeye out, a few hours there & daytime flight back.
Change terminals at LAX.
Fly to London on Air NZ and back, overnight out & daytime flight back.
Change terminals at LAX.
Side trip on American - redeye out, several hours there & daytime flight back.
Change terminals at LAX
Fly to Christchurch on Air NZ, via Cook Islands and Auckland.

The reason for flying Los Angeles to Cook Islands is that is the only longhaul route on Air New Zealand that I have not yet flown (I've also flown every domestic route and over half the shorthaul routes). It is a goal for me to fly to every destination and on every route for Air New Zealand, on Air New Zealand. I've already achieved the first bit - flying to every Air New Zealand destination, and am working my way steadily to achieve the second bit.

But enough prattle about my trip preparation. It is the trip itself that matters I guess. On with the show.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Four flights equals requalify top tier status. None of this mucking around with up to 169 domestic flights in mid fare class.
Wow, am I really the first to post a reply to this?!

Insane, Kiwi - you've outdone yourself on this one. Which airline, which tier?

^^^^
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

NZ top tier (ie the higher of the 2 NZ*G statusses).
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Los Angeles business class menu

Air New Zealand is proud to welcome you to our Business Premier experience and invite you to tailor your dining experience to meet your requirements.

A full supper will be offered on departure from Auckland, with a Fast Dine soup option available should you wish to go to sleep earlier. If you prefer a little extra sleep, let your flight attendant know that you do not wish to be woken for the full breakfast. A Fast Dine breakfast option will ensure you have a quick bite to eat prior to landing.

SUPPER

Fast Dine

Puree of chestnut soup
with cognac cream and parsnip crisps

Hot sourdough bread

Hand-made chocolates

Starter

Trio of poached prawn with pepper salsa,
smoked snapper, palm sugar cured tuna and red onion compote

Bakery

Sourdough bread, dark rye with caraway seed bread, ciabatta rolls and garlic bread

Main Course

New Zealand beef eye fillet steak
with golden kumara mash, turnip and green vegetable salad, horseradish and rosemary hollandaise

Macadamia nut crusted New Zealand Salmon
with Chardonnay and light tuatua (New Zealand shellfish delicacy) cream sauce, caramelised fennel, leeks and baby potatoes

Chicken thigh roulade with feta,
wilted rocket and confit butternut, manuka salt roasted potatoes, chicken jus and broccolini

Dessert

Gourmet dessert
of fig and honey ice cream and golden kiwifruit pavlova ice cream

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese and fresh fruit

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

SELF-SERVICE SNACKS

Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight.

BREAKFAST

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Light Breakfast

A bowl of muesli topped with Greek-style yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option.

Fast Dine Breakfast

Please let your flight attendant know if you would like to sleep-in and we will wake you as late as possible and offer you a toasted bagel with cream cheese and plum jam and a beverage of your choice.

Full Breakfast

Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast or cold plate.

Fresh fruit salad

Fruit or plain Greek-style yoghurt

Toasted Muesli and Hubbard's Light Fruit Berry cereal, Weetbix, Cornflakes

Bakery

Croissants, muffins, Vogel's, brioche or fruit toast served with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Fresh herb crepe filled with scrambled egg
and pancetta, roasted field mushrooms and slow roasted vine ripened tomato

Buttermilk hotcakes with lemon curd,
berry compote and creme fraiche

Cold Plate

A cold plate of fine New Zealand meats
and cheese with Dijon mustard and crusty breakfast rolls

BEVERAGES

Wine

For details of our onboard wines, refer to your Air New Zealand Wine Guide.

Champagne

Champagne Laurent-Perrier L-P NV Brut, France

New Zealand Sparkling Wine

Cocktails

Falling Water

Backyard Bellini

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel's Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
English Breakfast tea
Chamomile tea
Lemon tea
Decaffeinated tea
Darjeeling tea
Earl Grey tea
Peppermint tea
Green tea
Hot chocolate

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2008 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Auckland to Los Angeles (AKL-LAX) on Air New Zealand 747 in business class

I arrived at the domestic terminal just in time to see Blackcloud's flight land. As the threatening showers seemed to be holding off we ambled across to the international terminal. Check in at the premium check in lobby was painfully slow. There were only a couple of desks manned and everyone checking in seemed to have issues. I think this was Blackcloud's first time in the premium lobby and for the first time I can recall it likely would have been quicker checking in at the main counters outside. Oops.

Once I reached the counter it was all very quick. I got my one boarding pass. This felt wierd as I nearly always get a boarding pass or four for onward flights or even the return flight. I had already requested my favourite seat. A quick check that I had not been moved to allow a couple or group to sit together. While I was busy talking standing in line, I had noticed the couple in front had not managed to get adjacent seats in business class, on the same flight. Yes it was going to be full tonight, but I knew that having seen the zeroed availability weeks ago. I was done with check in in less than a minute, after waiting some 20 minutes

For once I did not proceed directly to the immigration officer who is based in the premium check in lobby. Instead we grabbed a comfy seat and talked a while. Eventually I had to go. For the second time in a row I had spent a considerable time in the premium check in lobby - the last time, a few days ago, was due to the flight not being loaded.

I was soon through immigration, security and back at the lounge. "I can't believe you are back again so soon" says the agent on reception. I don't think I have my own NZ stalker, but it seems lately every time I have flown internationally from Auckland she is there somewhere - either at the gate, in the lounge, roaming the concourse on her way to or from somewhere.

I have enough time for a shower, and then a few quick drinks as I check my messages. Not enough time to grab a free massage this time, and in any case there is likely to be a waiting list as the lounge is simply heaving. I can't wait until it gets extended. A slow increase in the number of flights, with consistently high loads especially at the premium end, and it is no wonder the lounge is often full.

I board, have a pre-flight drink or two. I grab a newspaper to catch up on the yesterday's news (for it is a morning paper) and pull a magazine from the rack for when I get bored with that. A couple of other passengers who seem to have not flown Air New Zealand business premiere before see what I am doing and follow suit. The crew patiently explain how the seat works to those who are new to it, after a polite enquiry as to whether it is needed.

There is the usual delay to depart after pushing back, while US clearances are obtained. That is one reason why I prefer not to board too early on these flights - sitting around for long enough without this extra wait. However, when I am seated in the nose, as with this flight, I board early to ensure overhead bin space. The rearmost bin has emergency gear, pillows and blankets. Then there are about 4 overhead bins to cater for 7 pax on each side. With some of the cabin being americans with multiple carry-ons, it is obvious that some people's gear has to go into a locker at the rear of the nose, or even in the next zone. I prefer that it not be my gear, so board quickly. But if I was seated upstairs, or behind the nose, I would board late as I do with most other flights in this part of the world.

The shades go down so as not to disturb passengers when we pass into the dawn in several hours' time. I settle in with a few movies, the newspaper and magazine, and some good food and drink. Later I doze for a bit, but I didn't want to sleep too much as I have another overnight flight to come.

We were early until we performed a zigzag course circling Los Angeles, approaching from the northeast, passing to the south, and finally landing on the northern runway towards the west. So ended up on time. Fortunately the terminal did not look too busy as we taxiied in. This flight arrives at a busy time in terminal 2 - there are several widebodies arriving internationally at the terminal in a short period. Sometimes we arrive to a queue of more than 1000. Those are the bad days when you know it will take over an hour to clear immigration and customs. Other times we arrive in a temporary lull and I can be through in mere minutes. It looked like today would be a good day. With door 2L being used I was not one of the first off, but I sped past several others on the way down to immigration. It looks good - less than half of the Air France flight is in front of us. On closer inspection, once I got into the snake, I realised it was not as good as it seemed. There were only a few immigration officers on duty. And it seemed like every single passenger had some issue requiring enormous time, assistance from a translator in some cases, and many smoke/drink/bathroom breaks on the part of the officers.

After more than an hour of waiting I finally was at the desk. I half-expected some questions about my short stay in USA but no, as with my early January runs I was through with no fuss at all.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2008 at 3:22 pm
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to Guatemala City and back (LAX-GUA-LAX) on United 757 in business class

I had a few restful hours at the Hilton. Rubbish room of course, but given the price and my minimal needs, it was perfect. I charged something to pick up the stay credit. I was most careful not to lie down in fear of sleeping through my departure.

A few hours later, feeling a bit more refreshed although still dog tired. (Why is that saying? Are dogs really more tired than other animals?) The guy on the check in desk was confused why I was checking out so soon. No, it is not the room causing a problem.

There was a bit of a queue at United premium check in, but not too bad. I was unable to get my return boarding pass. Amazingly no queue at security and I was back in the same Red Carpet Club that I had spent hours at on the wet and wild January day of my aborted Virgin America day trip. As expected, nothing much had changed. There was the obligatory minimal service. The stained and worn chairs. The one broken coffee machine, while the other delivered some black goop that looks and smells almost like coffee but slightly off as if it had been made by someone manufacturing a cheap knock-off without knowing the original recipe or brewing methods. Fortunately I wasn't to spend too long here, for my flight was on time. I headed to the gate early, wanting to be sure of overhead bin space.

A brief tussle when boarding was called - yes despite my looking like a zoned out refugee I really am able to board with business class, UGS and 1K. I noticed that once again there was no mention of *G, in contravention of *A policy. I know on FT it is common to beat up on Singapore Airlines for (apparently) not following star alliance rules, but United Airlines are just as guilty. It is annoying that policies are not adhered to, and generally there is nothing you can say or do at the time (without risking being thrown off the flight).

I took my seat and settled in. The flight was fairly full. I dropped off straight after the safety spiel and only awoke when we hit the runway, with a screech in the dark stillness of pre-dawn. I guess there was a light supper of some sorts and some drinks. I didn't get an arrival or customs form, but that did not matter. For the flight schedules constrain against me having time to go see or do anything, and I'd stay airside during the 90 minutes or so until reboarding. I found a chair and dozed. When the gate agents were preparing for boarding I strolled up and got my boarding pass and a US visa waiver arrival form + customs form. I filled those in while I waited.

The return flight was also fairly full. After takeoff, I saw in the now early morning light, the spectacular surroundings of Guatemala City in a basin ringed by volcanoes. Once we reached cruise height a breakfast was served but I went back to sleep instead. I awoke over the desert landscape of northern Mexico. Despite having flown over this only a few times before, a couple of years ago en route from Santiago to Los Angeles and even earlier between Los Angeles and Mexico City, I knew instantly where we were. While many see nothingness, I see a landscape that bears the scars of its harsh climate and geology. There is suprising variation in colours, and in the clear air the depth perception is amazing. Here there is a field of small mesas. There a dry wash has etched metres down through the plains.

I managed to wake up properly for our arrival, no thanks to a small dry hot cloth.

Immigration was quiet at this hour and again no questions about my odd itinerary. So I now had 4 hours or so until my next flight. Time enough to do a couple of laps around the terminals and past Encounters. I considered doing more but in this age of paranoia reluctantly decided someone may decide I was a "bad guy". I don't need that kind of trouble. At least I managed to unkink my legs and fill in the time until I though check in would be open for my onward flight.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2008 at 4:01 pm
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to London Heathrow business class menu

Air New Zealand is proud to welcome you to our Business Premier experience. Your flight today will commence with a pre dinner drink service. A full dinner will then be served before you settle down in your lie-flat bed for a good night's sleep.

A full breakfast service will be offered prior to landing in London. However, if you would prefer to enjoy the comfort of your Business Premier bed until the last moment, we offer a Fast Dine breakfast service which will allow you to still have a quick bite to eat before landing. Just let your flight attendant know before you go to sleep that you would prefer not to be woken for the full breakfast.

DINNER

Starter

Crab salad with watercress,
shaved fennel, roasted capsicum coulis and olive aioli

Bakery

Garlic bread, black olive bread and sourdough bread

Main Course

New Zealand lamb two ways
with green garlic risotto, roasted tomato and artichoke

Farm raised organic pompano
(delicate white fish) with crayfish bisque, wilted spinach, and black eyed pea, corn and roasted pepper succotash

Tender braised pork with sherry reduction,
cheese grits, collard greens and bacon glazed turnips

Light choice mezze platter
of grilled flat bread with eggplant caviar, chickpea puree, pickled tomatoes, marinated olives and feta

Dessert

Crispy cream doughnut bread pudding
with decaf espresso cream

Gourmet ice cream dessert of white chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream and caramel cone ice cream

Cheese and Fruit

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese and fresh seasonal fruit

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

SELF-SERVICE SNACKS

Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight.

BREAKFAST

Wake-up Drinks

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Light Breakfast

A bowl of muesli topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit is available as a lighter option.

Fast Dine Breakfast

Please let your flight attendant know if you would like to sleep-in and we will wake you as late as possible and offer you am orange and almond breakfast pastry and a beverage of your choice.

Full Breakfast

Fruit and cereals will be offered followed by a hot bakery selection and your choice of a hot breakfast or cold plate.

Fresh fruit salad

Fruit or plain yoghurt

Flaked muesli, low fat granola, Weetbix, Cornflakes

Bakery

Croissants, wholemeal and fruit toast with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Herb and brie omelette
with kassler ham, roasted tomatoes and chicken apple sausage

Croissant French toast with seasonal fruit compote and passionfruit mascarpone

Cold Plate

A selection of Italian, baked and smoked ham
with New Zealand cheese, Dijon mustard and crusty breakfast rolls

BEVERAGES

Wine

For details of our onboard wines, refer to your Air New Zealand Wine Guide.

Champagne

Champagne Laurent-Perrier L-P NV Brut, France

New Zealand Sparkling Wine

Cocktails

Falling Water

Backyard Bellini

Spirits

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel's Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs

Portuguese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

Beer

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, cola, lemonade, L&P (sparkling lemon drink), tonic water, ginger ale, diet cola and diet lemonade

Hot Drinks

Freshly brewed coffee
Decaffeinated coffee
English Breakfast tea
Chamomile tea
Lemon tea
Decaffeinated tea
Darjeeling tea
Earl Grey tea
Peppermint tea
Green tea
Hot chocolate

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2008 at 4:22 pm
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Los Angeles to London Heathrow (LAX-LHR) on Air New Zealand 747 in business class

I went to check in but the desks were unmanned despite more than 100 passengers queued up (a good portion of the load given another couple of hundred passengers were probably cooped up in the holding pen travelling straight through from Auckland). Why is it that check in is not open, when many passengers would be connecting from elsewhere and thus unable to clear security, and even the O&D traffic has been drummed in with the warning to check in at least a couple of hours before departure. A small sign on the premium desk indicated check in would not open until close to 2 hours before departure, so I hopped outside, found a perch overlooking T1 T2 and the start of the runway, and passed the time idly musing about things ahead and watching the comings and goings of aircraft and ground vehicles in front and below me.

Closer to the indicated time for check in to open I popped back inside. The queues had gotten longer. A few minutes later some desks were staffed - several for economy, which began moving quickly, and just the one initially for premium (business class plus star alliance gold and koru club). As with Auckland, it may have been quicker using economy check in They were unable to issue my return boarding pass. I was disappointed at that. If Air NZ or indeed any airline in Auckland can check me through several flights to Europe, why can they not check me in for the next flight (within 24 hours of my checking in for the first flight) which is on their own metal? Oh well, at least my connection is not tight and I do not need a boarding pass to clear transfer security in London.

The first class + elites security line was not operating downstairs at the pre-security BP and ID check. I asked a couple of officers who were just standing around talking next to the closed special line and was let under the rope. Pure laziness to close the line My passport got a lot of scrutiny. Hello - I've just arrived with this passport, if it is good enough for US immigration then surely it is good enough to fly with. That done, there was no queue at the WTMD and I was soon back in the NZ lounge.

I grabbed a shower, then had just enough time to check messages before it was boarding time. Honestly, not a very premium pre-flight experience Air NZ. The hit and miss escort from the lounge to the boarding gate rolled a zero this time. Not that it matters to me as I could walk blindfolded to the gate. I settled back into my seat. As usual the through passengers from Auckland were already seated and had their pre-take off drinks. I waited and waited for mine. There were 2 crew working in the nose before take off and they each thought the other had offered all the new passengers from LAX a drink, but of course neither had. I pointed this out when I got a chance, but by now the doors were being closed and there was no time for a relaxing drink.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.