Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:55 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The meal was odd - an early breakfast (served at the start of the flight so about 2am Vienna time) - some kind of omelette, tomato, cheese, roll, + drinks including the full range of alcoholic drinks.
As Iran is a "dry" country, the alcoholic drinks are very welcome to those who have stayed there for a while

I had the same experience on the KL flights AMS-TIP-AMS I took in the past; the AMS-TIP flight was in the morning (09:30 - 13:00 IIRC), but the drinks cart was raided by those who were facing a "dry" time in Libya. On the return flight TIP-AMS, they would often run out of beer and wine so everybody would then switch to hard liquor

Excellent report so far, Kiwi Flyer, looking forward to the rest!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:35 pm

Pity you couldn't do FRA-IKA-FRA on LH: regional business is never as good (and that service sounds shocking)!

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
While I waited I mused that some of my non-FT friends (who don't travel much) would be horrified by this situation. What if the guy does a runner, then you'd be stranded without a ticket or passport.
I would hope that some of your friends would be horrified at the thought of you flying into Iraq for an hour!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Pity you couldn't do FRA-IKA-FRA on LH: regional business is never as good (and that service sounds shocking)!
This way I was sure I would not need a visa as transitting to a 3rd country. For FRA-IKA-FRA turnaround I might have needed one and would have run the risk of being denied boarding.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I would hope that some of your friends would be horrified at the thought of you flying into Iraq for an hour!
It was less than an hour and yes some (most) would be horrified at that too.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'll see how much I can update for the past couple of internet-free days before I tire out (been up oh close to 24 hours at the moment).

Vienna to Sarajevo (VIE-SJJ) on Austrian Airlines A319 in business class

I had lunch in the lounge (a nice soup) before heading downstairs for the C<->A non-schengen to non-schengen bus. It runs about every 10 to 15 minutes, and you're supposed to only use it in the direction A to C within an hour of departure (because the C non-schengen area is rather small), although no one was actually checking. We got screened on arrival at the C pier, which is odd because we'd just been driven past half the gates. There is a small duty free shop (prices were not very good) and a bathroom, but otherwise nothing but seating. The gates are upstairs, no lifts.

I had chosen Sarajevo because it fulfilled a few requirements (a) somewhere new I hadn't been before, (b) easy connections, (c) maximise mileage and number of flights for the ticket, and (d) there were alternate flights for each leg (other than VIE-SJJ) if I misconnected as I did not want to miss the longhaul flight the next morning.

IFE was just for laughs. Food was a jumbo prawn salad, bread roll, dessert, chocolate.

While it was fairly cloudy, on descent we got great views of the valley in which Sarajevo lies. It looked rather picturesque.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 25, 2008 at 11:04 pm
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sarajevo to Zagreb (SJJ-ZAG) on Croatia Airlines ATR 42-300 in business class

On arrival I kindly asked the guard beside the shut transit door to open up for me. This to save getting more stamps in my passport. It is about 8 months old and already half full. He opened up and then went away with my ticket to check me in for the onward flight, for Austrian in Vienna were unwilling to check me in for this or the next flight. He came back quickly, checked my passport and invited me to use the contract business lounge (one of 3 at the small airport!!).

The lounge was small and basic - some non-alcoholic drinks, chips, nuts, a couple of newspapers and 2 tvs.

At the appropriate time I left and proceeded through security to the gate. We boarded on time. Even though my rollaboard probably should fit in the small overhead bins I decided not to push it and instead opted for the delivery at aircraft option.

The flight was zeroed out but it was good to see even here they still blocked the adjacent seat in business class.

We had a lengthy wait at the end of the taxiway before turning onto the runway. There was no obvious reason for the delay (as in no aircraft landing or taking off and no runway inspection).

Meal was a tuna salad, bread, dessert and biscuit.

On arrival at Zagreb there was the obligatory bus to the terminal. For such a small airport it is amazing how many busses they have to ferry passengers to and from their aircraft (no airbridges and aircraft are always parked well away from the terminal building). There were about 10 of us transferring to another international flight. We had to wait until immigration had processed every arriving passenger, plus a few more minutes, perhaps 10 minutes all up, before the transit door was opened. There was a security screening before we could enter airside.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Zagreb to Munich (ZAG-MUC) on Croatian Airlines A319-100 in business class

I popped up to the lounge upstairs. This was fairly full, with several flights due to depart within an hour. Amenities were limited - some drink, no food, no computer. Open plan with a smoking half. Which reminds me, FRA airport has all these signs plastered about how it is smoke free. Yes the old open smoking areas are now enclosed. However, without fail the smoking room would be full with one or more people standing in the doorway preventing it from closing. Thus smoke still percolates the concourse, albeit not as bad as it used to.

A call to head to the gate was made ridiculously early. I thought maybe everyone had checked in and they were going to go ahead of schedule, but no it was just to encourage passengers to be at the gate ready. I'm not sure what the point is because the airport is so small that you can hardly not be at the gate.

Anyway our flight boarded on time. We were bussed out. 2 airstairs were used, and unlike the Lufthansa flights using both airstairs this time there was a reasonable proportion of passengers who used each one.

The meal was the same as the flight into Zagreb.

We got an airbridge on arrival at Munich.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Munich

I had a delay at immigration as the officer wanted to know why I'd had so many schengen entries and exits over such a short period. By the time I left (this was well into the evening by now) I was almost dead on my feet. I staggered into a cab for the short ride to the nearby Holiday Inn.

This had opened just a few days before and still had that new smell, plus many finishing touches yet to be completed (eg the door signs were all laminated paper).

This was another place where I expected to stay at a Hilton, until I saw how unreasonable the local Hiltons were being. So I got an okay room for about a third of what I considered a reasonable rate for the Hilton (and about 20% of what the Hiltons wanted me to pay). Cab was just over 10 euros. Hotel shuttle leaves every 30 minutes and is 8 euros. Breakfast was included in the rate, but again I did not get to sample it.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I'm bushed, so the next instalment will need to wait a day or so. Thanks for your patience.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Munich to Denver first class menu

menu

Choice of Hors d'oeuvres

Caviar with traditional garnishes

King prawns and eggplant tart with pesto

Roasted saddle of veal in jellied borlotti beans served with balsamico jus

Goat cheese terrine with marinated bell pepper served with taggiasca olives

Salad

Seasonal greens with fried mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, carrots and herbs with your choice of ramson or balsamico dressing

Choice of Main Courses

Saddle of lamb medallion gratinated with parmesan cheese and olives, thyme jus and potato pancetta pave

Loup de mer filled with arugula, served with baked tomatoes and mashed potatoes with olives

Arugula risotto with taleggio, shiitake mushrooms, tomatoes, spring onions and walnuts

Roasted duck breast with balsamico sauce, red cabbage with orange and potato cake

Selection of Cheese and Dessert

Gorgonzola, peccorino, taleggio, livarot and fougeru garnished with grapes and walnuts

Apple clafouties with almond ice cream

Mango caramel tart with exotic fruit salpicon

Specialty dessert wines
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

BEVERAGES menu

Coffee Specialties

No travel without coffee. [snip]

Caffe Lungo
Cafe Caramel
Cafe Brulot
Caffe Borgia
Latte Macchiato
Cafe Baileys

Champagne

"D" de Devaux Brut, Champagne Veuve Devaux [not available this flight]

"Rare" Champagne Piper-Heidsieck

Monthly Proposal

2004 Monte Mareto Countacc!, Michele Chiarlo

Aperitif

Campari

Sherry "La Guita"

Lufthansa cocktail

White Wine

2006 Horsteiner Abtsberg, Riesling Spatlese trocken, Hofkeller Wurzburg

2005 Riva Ranch Chardonnay, Wente Vineyards

2006 Rotgipfler Tradition, Thermenregion, Weingut Johanneshof

Red Wine

2001 Chateau Croizet-Bages, Cru Classe, Pauillac

2003 Grand Estates Shiraz, Columbia Crest

Dessert Wine

2006 Zweigelt and Pinot Noir Beerenauslese, Weingut Nittnaus

Monthly Proposal

Nonino Grappa Lo Chardonnay Barrique

Spirits

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey Old No 7

Johhnie Walker Blue Label

Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Smirnoff Red Vodka

Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin

Cognac Lheraud Cuvee 30

Calvados Pays d'Auge AC, Daron

Fernet Branca

Walcher Williams Exclusiv

Etter Zuger Kirsch, 42 vol %, Jahrgang 2005

Liqueuer and Port

Baileys Irish Cream

Niepoort Portwein LBV 2003

Cold Beverages

Apollinaris sparkling natural mineral water

Elisbathenquelle natural mineral water

Apple juice
Tomato juice
Orange juice

Coca-cola
Coca-cola light
Sprite
Kinley tonic water
Kinley bitter lemon
Kinley ginger ale

Warsteiner Pils
Clausthaler non-alcoholic beer

Hot Beverages

Jacobs mild arabica coffee from the Highlands

Nespresso espresso und cappuccino, 3 grands crus des kaffees
- ristretto
- volluto
- decaffeinato

Darjeeling royal first flush blatt
Assam special broken
Earl grey premium blatt
Gruntee asia superior blatt
Vita orange
Yogi tee rotbusch bio
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Kiwi, are you in DEN right now?

I'm in the RCC here for the next 2 hrs or so. Reading your report, some great new locations for you!!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Great TR Kiwi Flyer (as always). I've just found my 'lost' notes for a trip taken in Nov 07 and now, suitably inspired, I'll complete my record of journey (such as it was).

Cheers, TK

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 26, 2008 at 3:52 pm
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SASfan
Kiwi, are you in DEN right now?

I'm in the RCC here for the next 2 hrs or so. Reading your report, some great new locations for you!!
No I'm not in DEN, that was just a transit point. I don't have time right now to update the TR (there's another FTer in this lounge) but will do so soon.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:08 pm

Wow, this trip report is intriguing thus far Kiwi Flyer. Can't wait for the update!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.