Part 6: Nagasaki Part B
Part 7: Kumamoto
Part 8: Yufuin
Part 9: Fukuoka
Part 10: FUK-ITM on ANA
Part 11: Itami to Kansai Transfer
Part 12: KIX-SEA on Delta

Background

The trip started off innocently enough, when the long awaited international terminal at Haneda was opened, allowing for longhaul flights into central Tokyo for the first time since the 70s. This may sound like small potatoes, but, before this milestone, doing something as seemingly simple as going from LAX to a secondary Japanese city like Kagoshima or Nagasaki would otherwise involve a transfer through Korea (ICN) or switching airports form Narita to Haneda or Kansai to Itami, hardly a tempting prospect after a long flight.

Wanting to become a part of this novelty I planned a trip to Japan based on this newfound convenience factor and the reportedly lightly booked initial flights, besides, does one really need an excuse to visit Japan in autumn? Nice weather and fall foliage only added to the temptation.

Most of my previous Japanese experience had been around Tokyo and the Kansai area, so I was anxious to get a taste of a different part of the country.

Kyushu is an easy place to get around thanks to the rather nifty and cheap JR North Kyushu Railpass (65usd for 3 days when purchased online), which includes unlimited travel on all JR Kyushu trains in the northern area. Thus Fukuoka made a great base for daytrips as most spots in northern Kyushu are 2 hours or less away (Sasebo, Nagasaki, Beppu, Yufuin, Kumamoto).

So with the destination picked out, it was now a matter of picking flights. Fortunately for for ANA, loads started to pick up and LAX-HND flights started to actually look pretty full. Also, when analyzing the service provided on Haneda redeyes (as per the ANA website), I was less than impressed with the skimpy meal provided on takeoff and the buy on board snack offerings, especially when other airlines like OZ still provide a full meal on redeye flights.

Thus, when thinking about a full flight in a middle seat with no lavish meals being provided, my flesh became admittedly weak and I began to consider my options. The idea of doing the transpacific hop on a nice Delta Business Elite seat instead suddenly became much more tempting, even if it did involve a stopover in Narita.

Technically, same evening Narita-Haneda transfers are possible, but after the long transpacific flight, the last thing you want is to haul your bags through the Tokyo train system to Haneda (unless you feel like paying 3000yen for nonstop 2 hour limousine bus, I'm cheap so that's a no, hehe).

However, as I like Narita town, I thought it a good idea to just call it a day and stay there after arrival.

Part 1: SFO-NRT on Delta

DL 59 SFO-NRT
11 Nov 2010
12:00-16:55 (Scheduled)
12:00-17:20 (Actual)
J Class

I won't dwell too much on these Delta transpacific legs as they have been covered extensively by others in the past. I can only add that I was pleasantly surprised by the crew as I have been previously been surprised by other very friendly LAX based PMNW crews on these transpacific flights.

I will instead concentrate on pics from this long, headwind battered journey.

Arrived at SFO from SAN on UA and quickly headed to the International terminal for check-in

Delta International Check in Area at SFO, nobody was in the queue so check in took less than 5 minutes, security was a bit slower though, as there were lots of passengers from Virgin America headed to their gates.

View of the ramp from Delta Sky Club entrance, our plane had already arrived from NRT.

Delta Sky Club at SFO, pretty empty then but it soon filled up. Thank you AMEX Platinum : )

Kirin Ichiban at the Delta Sky Club SFO, I'm not too big on morning beers, but I do like Kirin, besides, if the tiny Japanese girl in front and that old lady are having one, why can't I ? : )

DL 59 SFO-NRT

Nature likes to show who's boss every now and then, today the jetstream was feeling rather peppy, hence our flight to NRT was scheduled for a rather long 11.5 hours, with added taxi times it turned to a total of 12:20 hours, outrageous !

I am seriously contemplating the introduction of legislation to once and for all BAN headwinds on flights to Asia, signature collection and negative ads on tv start tomorrow. Who's with me??

Business Elite on DL 767-300, they're old but they do the trick for me, I like these better than angled lie flats.

View of downtown SF on takeoff from runway 01R, I guess we had a stiff headwind on takeoff as the runway is usually used for shorter flights.

View of San Francisco and the Golden Gate

UA 747 heading off to Europe below us, turned over the Golden Gate and headed to the East, probably the London flight, too bad I didn't have my telephoto on.

Beautiful view of San Francisco

Moving map, my favorite IFE choice

Inflight Entertainment, courtesy of Akina Nakamori ; )

Pepper crusted seared tuna with soybean and seaweed salad. Grilled peppers, feta and olives. Lettuce cream soup. Always do enjoy the seared tuna.

Mixed green salad with pinenuts, cucumbers and cranberries.

Sauteed chicken breast with lemon caper sauce, roasted red radishes and potatoes. Chicken was a bit weak, too much acidity with the lime and capers, and the sauce was too watery. But I ate it all anyways, ha.

Cheese and fruit plate.

+300km/h headwind, nasty : ( Should I just get off the plane and row a boat instead?

Roasted beef and herbed shrimp with devilled egg, roasted peppers and artichoke, I love the cold deli plate.

Arrival in NRT was after night fell so no pics unfortunately. We got to the gate at the same time as the 747 from LAX so it was a mad rush to immigration to avoid lines.

After the long flight, it was nice to be just one stop away from our hotel in Narita town, it's a very relaxed place to spend a stopover in as there's plenty of hotels and things to do within walking distance from the train station.

Spent the night at the small but effective APA Hotel Narita (5800 yen for a double room, peanuts !) and relaxed at the Yamato no Yu spa in the nearby woods, perfect way to wind down after a long flight.

Yamato no Yu is only 1 train stop away from Narita, highly recommended and only 700yen.

Continued...

Last edited by ricardobtg; Nov 26, 2010 at 9:09 pm
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Tokyo Transfer

Tokyo Transfer

After a proper night's sleep, we headed to central Tokyo for a breakfast with a good friend at the Metropolitan Marunouchi, having heard the stories about the non existent catering on domestic Japanese flights it was a good idea to splurge here and enjoy some wonderful japanese style congee, natto and other japanese delicacies while taking in the views.

Japanese congee with fried wontons, chives, sesame, pickles and plums. Those plums tasted awesome.

The infamous natto, you know what? It wasn't that bad, in fact, I could get used to the taste. The goo is very bothersome when eating it though.

Nice view

A Piss with a View

There's something about Central Tokyo, never gets old, the glitz, the modernity, it's always nice to enjoy. After breakfast we took the Haneda Limousine bus from nearby Tokyo station. It's an excellent option and you're dropped off at Haneda about 25 minutes after getting on. Due to the APEC going on in Yokohama I got to see both Air Force 1 and 2 planes at a remote gate at Haneda, impressive to see them side by side so far from their home.

Check in at Haneda is pretty simple, there was a queue at the ticket line but it didn't take more than 10 minutes to get to the end of it so an agent could help us out.

Haneda Terminal 2 Check in

Haneda T2

Premium check in at NH, staff are everywhere and always willing to help you out.

Cool thing about this departure board at Haneda, it shows how full the flights are and the equipment being used, pretty neat eh ?

Very informative HND departure board

Getting to FUK from HND is a piece of cake with widebody departures on the hour and sometimes even more frequently. Was tempted to take a 747 but it was only scheduled to operate very early morning and afternoon flights.

The target: NH253 with plenty of good seats available

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

HND-FUK on ANA

Part 3: HND-FUK on ANA: Part 1

NH253 HND-FUK
13 Nov 2010
12:30-14:25
Y Class

After some fast typing the lovely check in agent gave us our seats. She even understood my lowsy Japanese and gave me window seats as requested

Neato Japanese boarding pass

With check in out of the way there was still some time to check out the awesome viewing terrace at HND, unfortunately it was closed today, perhaps due to increased security for the APEC thing? Ah well, decided to just go to the gates instead.

Security at Haneda is pretty easy and efficient, we were through it in less than 5 minutes.

The gate area at HND is long long long and kinda boring, I think most of the fun at HND, at least when it comes to terminal 2 is landside, with tons of restaurants, shops and the observation area.

The long hallways at Haneda

Once airside, I caught a glimpse of the 747 that was headed to Fukuoka one hour before us, it was actually scheduled to be smaller plane but was switched at the last minute (according to the departure board). Very cool sight to see a 747 flying such a short hop.

11:30 flight to Fukuoka

My disappointment about not flying a 747 was gone when I saw we were flying on ANA's new posterplane, the Gundam Jet !!! What would the future hold? Would I get cool Gundam toys ? Would the FA's dress up as robots and fight to the death in between green tea runs? the possibilities seemed so tantalizing.

ANA X Gundam

Big Robot

Is it just me or were they kinda lazy when slapping that robot on?

When we got to the gate I caught the FA's boarding our plane and snapped a few pics of the area.

Spiffy looking NH Girls

Departures to FUK at 12:30 and 14:00 from this gate, the gate next to us had another FUK departure at 13:30

It must be said that boarding a flight in Japan is an amazing experience, especially when you are used to the slow and cumbersome boarding we get to see in the western hemisphere. Seeing a 777-300 fully board in 20 minutes is something to behold, how do they do it? Among other things, rollaboards seem to be much more rare, and when people have them they are significantly smaller which surely helps smooth things out. The 777 to Osaka next to us looked pretty full yet they still managed to board very quickly.

When we boarded our flight to FUK, I unfortunately was not as smooth as my Japanese friends, In fact, I probably reinforced all the negative stereotypes that mention foreigners as incapable of integrating into Japanese society.

In my short 5 minutes between passing the boarding gate and taking my seat I managed to clog up the line by not scanning my boarding pass correctly; ran over a nice elderly guy's foot with my rollaboard (his foot got in the way, I didn't see it until it was too late, gomenasai!) and I finally slammed my head unceremoniously into an overheard bin before getting into my seat. Really, a dashing and debonair entry this was not.

Finally in my seat, whew !

To aid in boarding, both jetways were used, with the first jetbridge labelled for people seated in first class along with those seated on right side of the airplane, and the second jetbridge for the rest of the airplane.

Within about 10-15 minutes most people were on board, unlike the earlier flights, our flight was far from full, which is the just the way I liked it ; )

Despite the 3-4-3 configuration, legroom didn't seem too bad, it seemed much more roomy because the middle seat was empty which always helps make for a comfortable ride.

Legroom in Y, not bad for a short flight

Empty middle seat, I do like headrest covers ; )

We taxied out to Haneda's brand spanking new seabound runway. Seems quite amazing to see the taxiways built right on the sea, quite a nice work of engineering.

Haneda Ramp, Pokemon Jet in sight

Taxiway on stilts

Far from the main terminal

Got to catch a glimpse of the South Korean presidential plane on arrival, seems that we had a veritable red carpet of VIP aircraft at Haneda today.

Departure from HND was very very scenic as we went over central Tokyo and had a great view of the city, unfortunately no view of Fuji-San though.

Tight turn on departure

Incoming Traffic

Airport Overview

Central Tokyo

Snowy mountain

Rear Cabin

Continued...

Last edited by ricardobtg; Nov 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

HND-FUK on ANA Part 2

Part 4: HND-FUK on ANA: Part 2

In flight service on NH's domestic flights is now very much a no frills affair, the only things available for free seem to be green tea (iced and hot) or water. Everything else is in a handy little menu.

FA's doing their drink runs.

ANA My Choice Menu.

Drink sets.

Some food.

That Okinawa bagel looks pretty tasty, too bad it's only available on Okinawa flights.

Still being full from breakfast I was fine with just some green tea. And I really do love the green tea served on ANA.

ANA hot green tea

We had an army of FA's who were constantly passing around the cabin to keep everything in check and offering stuff for sale from the catalog.

Loooong plane.

Cabin shot.

Seat Closeup.

The ANA catalogs themselves are full of neat goodies for aviation lovers, albeit a bit too pricey.

60 bucks for a calendar without nudity.

I want this !!!

Unfortunately, the FA's did not dress up as robots to engage in hand to hand combat, c'est la vie, at least the flight was short so the lack of an in flight performance was not as tragic.

We descended into a cloudy Fukuoka and landed on runway 16.

Cloudy Kyushu.

Shinkansen headed to Hakata Station.

Quickly pulled into Fukuoka's Terminal 2 where I managed to snap a nicer shot of our bird.

ANA Gundam Jet.

Arrival area at Fukuoka airport.

My very very manly stored value transportation card: subway, shopping, restaurants, pay for everything with your handy sugoca!

My plane is even on a booklet at the hotel, btw, yes, the Gundam jet is now officially my plane !

Conclusions

ANA's Domestic service is nowadays pretty basic and far from luxurious, the remarkable and noteworthy thing with NH is still the wonderful attitude of staff at every point of contact, they truly make the difference between an otherwise pedestrian experience and make flying a pleasure.

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Nagasaki Part A

Nagasaki Part A

Adventures in Kyushu

I really enjoyed my time in Kyushu, stayed at the Dormy-inn Hakata which was great as the room was decently sized for 2 people, had easy access to the subway and main train station, and to top it all off, had a very nice onsen where you could relax after a long day of sightseeing or get ready for a busy day. There's also a family mart connected to the hotel so you can just stock up on essentials at any hour.

I really would have liked to see more of Fukuoka, but I have spent most of my Japan visits in big cities, so I thought it best to take advantage of the rail pass and see some of the smaller places this time. Hakata station made a great base for this and the nice JR Kyushu trains made getting around a pleasure.

Nagasaki

I had heard good things about Nagasaki but was still surprised at just how nice it is. Managed to walk around downtown from the train station without ever getting on public transportation, the harbor, chinatown, the dutch slope, glover garden, are all basically within walking distance. The peace park is further away but I was honestly too much of a chicken to visit, the city had put me in such a good mood that didn't want to close the day on a sad note. The city really is a wonderful place and it's hard to think that it was one of the only 2 cities ever hit by such a horrible spectacle.

Here are a few shots from this very nice corner of the world:

JR Kyushu Hyper Saloon train, sort of old ; )

Seems like the APA hotel here has some interesting entertainment?

Beautiful autumn day

Fishing at the harbour

Dejima Wharf

Very nice waterfront

Nagasaki Trams

Dutch heritage at Dejima

Nagasaki Chinatown

Self-pic in the Dutch slope

Buildings in the Dutch slope

Nice to see palm trees here

Steep hills

You better have good knees here !

Nagasaki from the Hills

Nagasaki from the Hills 2

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Nagasaki Part B

Nagasaki Part B

Glover Garden 1

Glover Garden 2

I do like this porch..

Nice spot for a party.

Are we in Japan?

Stone bridges in Nagasaki.

Oldest stone bridge in Japan.

Flowers and the bridge.

The hills around Nagasaki look amazingly interesting.

JR Nagasaki Station.

Much nicer ride to Nagasaki, the White Kamome (Seagull).

Very nice interiors.

Is this a train or a spaceship ? : )

White Kamome back at Hakata.

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Kumamoto

Kumamoto

Kumamoto is less than 90 minutes away from Hakata, hence it seems like a sensible daytrip out of Hakata to see the famous castle and Suizenji Gardens,

Good excuse to ride the Relay Tsubame

Nice Interior

Beautiful Kumamoto Castle

Kumamoto Castle

Love these old models..

Kumamoto's main thoroughfare

Beautiful crane in Suizenji

Suizenji Park

Mini Fuji at Suizenji

A new Shinkansen is coming to Kyushu, who do you get for a spokesperson? A cartoon bear of course !

Relay Tsubame back to Hakata

Self Catering: I do love the Chicken Katsu sandwiches from family mart ;)

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Yufuin

Yufuin

I really wanted to check out the Yufuin No Mori train to Yufuin, unfortunately, I did not time it correctly and I arrived in Yufuin with either time to explore the town or go to one of the onsens. Decided to leave the nakedness for the next trip when I could actually stay at a ryokan and went out to town instead.

Yufuin no mori

Retro style

Kyushu countryside

Tonkatsu sandwich for lunch

Autumn in Kyushu

Delicious pumpkin ice cream sold on the train

Beautiful train

Mt Yufu overlooking the town

Autumn in Yufuin

Gorgeous colors

More autumn colors

I wonder if that bird has cold feet?

Autumn bridge

Intense red.

Very inviting.

Autumn reflections.

Very nice restaurant in Yufuin.

Hot water bubbling out.

View from Cafe La Ruche.

The road to Hakata.

Continued...

Last edited by ricardobtg; Nov 26, 2010 at 11:13 pm
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Fukuoka

Fukuoka

As I mentioned before, I would have loved exploring more of Hakata, unfortunately, it is not as much of a late night city as Osaka or Tokyo, if you want to go out to eat at 8pm you're gonna have a hard time finding a nice place to sit down (other than a yatai stand), unlike the other big Japanese cities, which can put of a bit of a wrench in your plans.

Otherwise though, Fukuoka is a very lively place, would love to go back and get some use out of that Sugoca card ; )

Christmas shopping in full swing at Canal City

Streetfood at night

More foodstands

Mitsukoshi/Tenjin Station

Fukuoka Subway

Autumn and the subway

I like this sort of food ordering system

Japanese fast food at Yayoiken. Not bad, not bad at all.

Tenjin underground shopping

Riverside shopping

Asian art museum (top floors)

Ohori Park

Nice waterfront life

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

FUK-ITM on ANA

FUK-ITM on ANA

NH 1678
17 Nov 2010
FUK-ITM
11:30-12:35

All too soon it was time to head back to Mexico, however the fun was not quite over yet.

Fukuoka airport is very convenient as it is only 2 subway stations away from the main train station at Hakata, and only 3 stops away from the Dormy Inn-Hakata where I was staying at.

The subway to the airport took less than 15 minutes so arriving at 11am I figured there was plenty of time to catch the 12:30 flight to Osaka-Itami.

The domestic check in area at FUK is simple and straightforward. It was interesting to hear the old style name for ANA mentioned during a loudspeaker announcement (Zennikku, 全日空) instead of the now ubiquitous "ANA", I gotta admit I like zennikku a lot better, sounds so firm and authoritative .

Checking in at FUK

We were greeted by a nice ANA employee who directed us to an empty ticket counter. I tried to ask in my best japanese to be put on the 12:30 flight, however we were actually put on the 11:30 flight, by now it was already 11:05 so I guess this means we should run ? ha.

I was surprised by the efficient procedures at HND, but I was even more surprised by things here at FUK.

24 minutes to departure

So it's 11:06 and we're supposed to depart on a Dash 8 that's parked at a remote stand at 11:30. This looks bad, but only 2 minutes later we're through security. Not bad, not bad at all.

FUK Airside

Surprise is magnified when I get to the gate and see that boarding has not even started yet. What gives? The flight should be departing in 15 minutes ! Fortunately there's time to gate check our bags, snap some pics and and even a bathroom break, phew.

Boarding soon comes and we're loaded onto a bus. You gotta love these bus rides along the ramp at an airport, always a great view.

Our Dash-8-400 to Osaka

Sparkly Clean

Boarded the plane at 11:23, I figured we'd be delayed for sure but to my surprise, the loaded Dash-8 was fully boarded and closing doors at 11:30. Now that is efficiency !! Despite being lightning fast, the entire sequence from check in to boarding seemed natural and unrushed.

The Dash-8 seemed quite roomy for a small aircraft , I think I had more legroom than on the 777-300.

Hardcore knee pics

Soon we were rocketing off runway 34 and off to Osaka's Itami airport.

Heavy metal at FUK

Goodbye Fukuoka

Service again was the basic green tea and water run. It was also nice to see the FA's come along with with toys for a little kid, heeeey, I want my inflatable ANA plane too ; ) Unfortunately, after getting that bright pink sugoca card I think I've exhausted my cutesy allowance for the entire year.

Cabin Views

Looking down the aisle

Mmm, more green tea

The rest of the flight was uneventful, most people seemed to doze off and I enjoyed the awesome views of the approach into Itami, the Kansai area is absolutely huge and the approach was impressive.

Vast Kansai area

Big city below

Osaka Itami

I was finally in the legendary Itami airport ! At once hated by neighbors, now they don't want to let it go. And wow, it sure looks like a blast from the past. And a sorta nasty one at that.

Love walking around the ramp

I like you Dash-8

Gates at Itami

Aircrews at Itami

Baggage claim

Conclusions

NH service is very very basic nowadays, but they still are very much a pleasure to fly on. It's all about the attitude I think. Efficient infrastructure at Japanese airports helps a lot too, as those lightning fast check-in to boarding gate times take a lot of the hassle and frustration out of the air travel equation, kudos to ANA !

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Itami to Kansai Transfer

Itami to Kansai Transfer

After arriving at Itami it was really just the beginning of the trip. Getting from ITM to KIX can be relatively easy since you can take a nonstop limousine bus for 3000yen, or you can also connect in downtown and save around 1000 yen by taking another bus or the train to KIX. Since I wanted to stop for one last mosburger the transfer thing made sense to me.

Bus to OCAT

Salad Express :S ?

Downtown Osaka

Goodbye Mosburger : (

Rubbing your derriere against a pole… interesting…

890yen to Kansai from downtown Osaka

Continued...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

KIX-SEA on Delta

KIX-SEA on Delta

DL182 KIX-SEA
17 Nov 2010
18:50-11:50
J Class

Fabulous Kansai

Delta check in counters

Kansai airport still looks very nice after all of these years, although it has been pretty much eclipsed today by airports like ICN, HKG or even NGO which seem more modern and upscale. But there's a very nice selection of reasonably priced restaurants and shopping in the landside part of the airport, and decent shopping airside too (Royce chocolates, woo !)

Sunset at Kansai

Relaxing

Gleaming Kansai Airport

Here are a few shots for the flight back to Seattle, it seemed crazy that the flight back would only take 8 hours, when compared to the flight coming over here that took almost 12, I was actually looking forward to more sleeping time : (

You don't really get to rest for long since dinner service probably ends about 2 hours after takeoff and breakfast is served 1 hour before landing which leaves you about 5 hours of lights off time.

Light load tonight

Always hard to leave

This should help make things easier

So quick?

Cream of onion, grilled rosemary shrimp, goat cheese mousse, tomato and olives, great appetizer.

Grilled salmon with tomato saffron sauce, snow peas and basmati rice. Tastes better than it looks.

Almost off to bed

Riding the jetstream.

Fruitcicles for breakfast .

Customs at SEA were quick as was security reclearance. Then it was off to SLC and finally down to SAN.

Closing Remarks

Japan really is a wonderful country, I highly recommend venturing outside of the big cities and visiting some of the quieter spots, tourism infrastructure is consistently top notch and getting around is usually a hassle free pleasure even with the language barrier.

I'm really looking forward to DL starting the HND flight and having the airport opened to service by more carriers in the future. Other than going through ICN, flights to most of Japan currently involve either the limited options at NRT, or an inconvenient 2 hour airport transfer from NRT to HND or KIX to ITM as mentioned before.

I do apologize for the heavy picture load but it was the most efficient way of getting the story across, many thanks for reading, questions or comments are welcome.

Thanks for stopping by !

Ricardo
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by ricardobtg

Looking down the aisle
This photo looks like the flight is mainly taken by businessmen...

Anyway, really amazing photos you have here! I really enjoyed the photos!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:09 am

Thanks for sharing a great TR, with some great quality pictures too.
I really enjoyed reading your TR as well as the pictures.
I might be going to Japan next week: Tokyo and Osaka + Okinawa (i will probably fly SKymark from Osaka to Okinawa) if my translated driving license comes in time before my scheduled departure...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Great TR, thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.