FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Adventures in Southern Japan with JR Kyushu, Delta and All Nippon Airways
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:31 pm
ricardobtg

Nagasaki Part A

Nagasaki Part A

Adventures in Kyushu

I really enjoyed my time in Kyushu, stayed at the Dormy-inn Hakata which was great as the room was decently sized for 2 people, had easy access to the subway and main train station, and to top it all off, had a very nice onsen where you could relax after a long day of sightseeing or get ready for a busy day. There's also a family mart connected to the hotel so you can just stock up on essentials at any hour.

I really would have liked to see more of Fukuoka, but I have spent most of my Japan visits in big cities, so I thought it best to take advantage of the rail pass and see some of the smaller places this time. Hakata station made a great base for this and the nice JR Kyushu trains made getting around a pleasure.

Nagasaki

I had heard good things about Nagasaki but was still surprised at just how nice it is. Managed to walk around downtown from the train station without ever getting on public transportation, the harbor, chinatown, the dutch slope, glover garden, are all basically within walking distance. The peace park is further away but I was honestly too much of a chicken to visit, the city had put me in such a good mood that didn't want to close the day on a sad note. The city really is a wonderful place and it's hard to think that it was one of the only 2 cities ever hit by such a horrible spectacle.

Here are a few shots from this very nice corner of the world:

JR Kyushu Hyper Saloon train, sort of old ; )

Seems like the APA hotel here has some interesting entertainment?

Beautiful autumn day

Fishing at the harbour

Dejima Wharf

Very nice waterfront

Nagasaki Trams

Dutch heritage at Dejima

Nagasaki Chinatown

Self-pic in the Dutch slope

Buildings in the Dutch slope

Nice to see palm trees here

Steep hills

You better have good knees here !