FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Adventures in Southern Japan with JR Kyushu, Delta and All Nippon Airways
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:57 pm
ricardobtg

Adventures in Southern Japan with JR Kyushu, Delta and All Nippon Airways

Adventures in the Big Q Shoe with ANA and Delta

Part 1: SFO-NRT on Delta
Part 2: Transfer in Tokyo from Narita to Haneda
Part 3: HND-FUK on ANA Part 1
Part 4: HND-FUK on ANA Part 2
Part 5: Nagasaki Part A
Part 6: Nagasaki Part B
Part 7: Kumamoto
Part 8: Yufuin
Part 9: Fukuoka
Part 10: FUK-ITM on ANA
Part 11: Itami to Kansai Transfer
Part 12: KIX-SEA on Delta

Background

The trip started off innocently enough, when the long awaited international terminal at Haneda was opened, allowing for longhaul flights into central Tokyo for the first time since the 70s. This may sound like small potatoes, but, before this milestone, doing something as seemingly simple as going from LAX to a secondary Japanese city like Kagoshima or Nagasaki would otherwise involve a transfer through Korea (ICN) or switching airports form Narita to Haneda or Kansai to Itami, hardly a tempting prospect after a long flight.

Wanting to become a part of this novelty I planned a trip to Japan based on this newfound convenience factor and the reportedly lightly booked initial flights, besides, does one really need an excuse to visit Japan in autumn? Nice weather and fall foliage only added to the temptation.

Most of my previous Japanese experience had been around Tokyo and the Kansai area, so I was anxious to get a taste of a different part of the country.

Kyushu is an easy place to get around thanks to the rather nifty and cheap JR North Kyushu Railpass (65usd for 3 days when purchased online), which includes unlimited travel on all JR Kyushu trains in the northern area. Thus Fukuoka made a great base for daytrips as most spots in northern Kyushu are 2 hours or less away (Sasebo, Nagasaki, Beppu, Yufuin, Kumamoto).

So with the destination picked out, it was now a matter of picking flights. Fortunately for for ANA, loads started to pick up and LAX-HND flights started to actually look pretty full. Also, when analyzing the service provided on Haneda redeyes (as per the ANA website), I was less than impressed with the skimpy meal provided on takeoff and the buy on board snack offerings, especially when other airlines like OZ still provide a full meal on redeye flights.

Thus, when thinking about a full flight in a middle seat with no lavish meals being provided, my flesh became admittedly weak and I began to consider my options. The idea of doing the transpacific hop on a nice Delta Business Elite seat instead suddenly became much more tempting, even if it did involve a stopover in Narita.

Technically, same evening Narita-Haneda transfers are possible, but after the long transpacific flight, the last thing you want is to haul your bags through the Tokyo train system to Haneda (unless you feel like paying 3000yen for nonstop 2 hour limousine bus, I'm cheap so that's a no, hehe).

However, as I like Narita town, I thought it a good idea to just call it a day and stay there after arrival.

Part 1: SFO-NRT on Delta

DL 59 SFO-NRT
11 Nov 2010
12:00-16:55 (Scheduled)
12:00-17:20 (Actual)
J Class

I won't dwell too much on these Delta transpacific legs as they have been covered extensively by others in the past. I can only add that I was pleasantly surprised by the crew as I have been previously been surprised by other very friendly LAX based PMNW crews on these transpacific flights.

I will instead concentrate on pics from this long, headwind battered journey.

Arrived at SFO from SAN on UA and quickly headed to the International terminal for check-in

Delta International Check in Area at SFO, nobody was in the queue so check in took less than 5 minutes, security was a bit slower though, as there were lots of passengers from Virgin America headed to their gates.

View of the ramp from Delta Sky Club entrance, our plane had already arrived from NRT.

Delta Sky Club at SFO, pretty empty then but it soon filled up. Thank you AMEX Platinum : )

Kirin Ichiban at the Delta Sky Club SFO, I'm not too big on morning beers, but I do like Kirin, besides, if the tiny Japanese girl in front and that old lady are having one, why can't I ? : )

DL 59 SFO-NRT

Nature likes to show who's boss every now and then, today the jetstream was feeling rather peppy, hence our flight to NRT was scheduled for a rather long 11.5 hours, with added taxi times it turned to a total of 12:20 hours, outrageous !

I am seriously contemplating the introduction of legislation to once and for all BAN headwinds on flights to Asia, signature collection and negative ads on tv start tomorrow. Who's with me??

Business Elite on DL 767-300, they're old but they do the trick for me, I like these better than angled lie flats.

View of downtown SF on takeoff from runway 01R, I guess we had a stiff headwind on takeoff as the runway is usually used for shorter flights.

View of San Francisco and the Golden Gate

UA 747 heading off to Europe below us, turned over the Golden Gate and headed to the East, probably the London flight, too bad I didn't have my telephoto on.

Beautiful view of San Francisco

Moving map, my favorite IFE choice

Inflight Entertainment, courtesy of Akina Nakamori ; )

Pepper crusted seared tuna with soybean and seaweed salad. Grilled peppers, feta and olives. Lettuce cream soup. Always do enjoy the seared tuna.

Mixed green salad with pinenuts, cucumbers and cranberries.

Sauteed chicken breast with lemon caper sauce, roasted red radishes and potatoes. Chicken was a bit weak, too much acidity with the lime and capers, and the sauce was too watery. But I ate it all anyways, ha.

Cheese and fruit plate.

+300km/h headwind, nasty : ( Should I just get off the plane and row a boat instead?

Roasted beef and herbed shrimp with devilled egg, roasted peppers and artichoke, I love the cold deli plate.

Arrival in NRT was after night fell so no pics unfortunately. We got to the gate at the same time as the 747 from LAX so it was a mad rush to immigration to avoid lines.

After the long flight, it was nice to be just one stop away from our hotel in Narita town, it's a very relaxed place to spend a stopover in as there's plenty of hotels and things to do within walking distance from the train station.

Spent the night at the small but effective APA Hotel Narita (5800 yen for a double room, peanuts !) and relaxed at the Yamato no Yu spa in the nearby woods, perfect way to wind down after a long flight.

Yamato no Yu is only 1 train stop away from Narita, highly recommended and only 700yen.

Continued...

Last edited by ricardobtg; Nov 26, 2010 at 9:09 pm