Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Leyla A
What about now? I rarely, if ever, see anyone dressed in any particulary way (other than casual) in First Class. Because I am a single female, I do try to look better than usual when travelling, particulaly in First Class
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
One thing that most of the consulting world has picked up on is that you need to make your clients comfortable. Showing up every day in a suit and tie when they are a khaki/polo type of work environment actually makes an inverse impression; "I'm better than you".
Interesting.

1) I always wear a tie when I travel. I tell my students (when they themselves travel on business) to wear what they want but no jeans or loud T-shirts. I do think I (and my students) represent the university and the people who fund what we do, so it's not what I or they think, it's what the people holding the purse would think.

2) Making people comfortable or uncomfortable is largely a matter of what you do. I'm one of very few faculty members teaching with a tie, yet that doesn't make students uncomfortable the least bit. I figure that they ultimately pay for me to be there, so I might as well show a bit of respect and not wear the proverbial flip flops.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
Looking out my apartment window in Tokyo right this minute, I see how everyone's dressed. All school kids are wearing their uniforms, with tie, backpack and sneakers. The teenagers going to work are wearing their black suits, (sometimes with brown shoes, but that's getting better), and shoulder bag. Of course the business men and women are smartly dressed in their (mostly black - always dark) attire, with shoulder bag or briefcase. Even on weekends, suits are very common. Now I see someone standing out in jeans with no shoulder bag - oh yes, it's a foreigner. Japan is a country of conformity, people are respectful, rebels are noticed and people care what others think. I truly love this country and its people.
You're exaggerating a bit.

Riding into the city on weekday mornings, you'll see many people dressed down in jeans, T-shirts and other casual clothes. The guys wearing suits on the weekends are wearing suits because they have to go to work (and the guys who don't have to go to work are probably sleeping in at home). Everyone with an office job wears a suit when they're going to work, and most people in school wear some sort of uniform, but that's it.

I'll grant that people are usually much more elaborate with their casual wear here than they are in the US -- you'll never see someone wearing just a T-shirt and shorts, for instance, unless you're at the beach. At least two layers are the norm, even in summer, and the only worn-out clothing you'll see is scientifically worn-out jeans.

No matter what you're doing in Japan, it's best to dress a little conservatively. For men, as long as your pants cover your ankles and your shirt has a collar, you're fine in most personal contexts. The unspoken dress code for women is a bit harder to determine, but anything subdued and tasteful should fit in here (and even some un-subdued and tasteless items will fit in in certain parts of town).
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:57 pm

Where are you riding? The subway this morning was all suits and ties.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
You're exaggerating a bit..
I challenge you to be in Mita on a workday if you think I am exaggerating!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:24 am

By the way joejones, i had to laugh at the Hibiya Club Gold... Are you talking about the subway line??
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Like other posters have indicated, the previous days reflected the social norms. While some may want to return to the days of only jackets and suits in F, I have seen my share of men in suits whose grooming and hygiene habits were quite pathetic.

One can look very good casually dressed, but not too casual (like wearing a tank top for the men, short/shorts for the ladies, or flip flops), if the clothing is well maintained and the person maintains his/her grooming habits properly along with a healthy weight to height percentage.

Who would you rather sit next to, a slim man or women in jeans or a 300 pound business man sweating profusely and wearing a suit that had not been cleaned in years?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones

I'll grant that people are usually much more elaborate with their casual wear here than they are in the US -- you'll never see someone wearing just a T-shirt and shorts, for instance, unless you're at the beach. At least two layers are the norm, even in summer, and the only worn-out clothing you'll see is scientifically worn-out jeans.
What about yukata, jinbei and samue? Are those seen in public?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I have seen my share of men in suits whose grooming and hygiene habits were quite pathetic.
if the clothing is well maintained and the person maintains his/her grooming habits properly along with a healthy weight to height percentage.
The sum of the parts needs to equal a certain amount. Grooming and clothing need to be good for a good overall image. If one item is really bad it ruins the overall image. Also, one part can be a little lacking if the other is well above average. This can be applied to a lot of situations in life.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Flip Flops are my biggest pet peave,
Also froma safety stadpoint if you need to evacuate, you can trip up easier. My father-in-law is a Net Jets pilot & forbids my wife from flying in anything open toed or open heel. smart
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
What is the big objection to flip flops?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
Looking out my apartment window in Tokyo right this minute, I see how everyone's dressed. All school kids are wearing their uniforms, with tie, backpack and sneakers. The teenagers going to work are wearing their black suits, (sometimes with brown shoes, but that's getting better), and shoulder bag. Of course the business men and women are smartly dressed in their (mostly black - always dark) attire, with shoulder bag or briefcase. Even on weekends, suits are very common. Now I see someone standing out in jeans with no shoulder bag - oh yes, it's a foreigner. Japan is a country of conformity, people are respectful, rebels are noticed and people care what others think. I truly love this country and its people.
When I was in Tokyo, I never dressed particularly outlandishly (jeans and a shirt, untucked, mostly), but I always felt like the Hippie Tourist.

On weekends, Tokyoans dress down a lot - they wear their suits WITHOUT TIES.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Let the bums and the ones that look like bums ride a bus.
I dress like a 'bum' on a plane (leisure or biz travel on travel/off-days)
and more nicely on public wheeled transport (to work)

But god forbid we dont meet your antiquated standards
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When I first started traveling in F/J/C, I used to wear a baseball cap, jeans, and a t-shirt. I then slowly migrated to dress shirt, tie, and dress pants. In the last few years I have found middle ground. Stylish sneakers (i.e. Lacoste/Fred Perry), untucked collared shirt, casual sports blazer, and jeans.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:24 am

International F or domestic Y, I dress in whatever is comfortable. If that means cargo shorts and a t-shirt, so be it.

There's a time and a place for formal dress, and I just don't think that a passenger jet qualifies as one of those places. You're just there to get from point A to point B, not to engage in a formal event.

This is the part that I find silly, conceptually:

Guy 1: I am sitting in F, I should dress up
Guy 2: What about pax in Y?
Guy 1: Why would they need to dress up? They're in Y.

Sitting in F doesn't mean I'm more respectable/classy/etc than someone sitting in Y, it's just a hilarious perception issue. The need to further socially separate oneself from Y pax by dressing formally is an antique idea.

Dressing formally just because you like dressing formally, great. Have a blast, nothing wrong with looking dashing whenever possible, on a plane or otherwise. But my interest is being comfortable and well rested when I hit the ground and get to work, so I'll dress for comfort 10 times out of 10.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
What is the big objection to flip flops?
In an emergency situation they can come off or get hung up a lot easier than fully enclosed shoes. You wouldn't want to walk thru burning jet fuel, broken glass or twisted metal barefoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.