Reload this Page >

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Be assured that we are serious about making date-picking / price-overviewing great, so please hold tight
Looking much better today Thanks for your work behind the scenes
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Looking much better today Thanks for your work behind the scenes
The new features are whizzy, but I liked being able to see +/- over a two-month range in the old UI, and didn't see a way to replicate that offhand. The flexible dates search gives you +/- 3 around specific dates but that isn't quite the same.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
The new features are whizzy, but I liked being able to see +/- over a two-month range in the old UI, and didn't see a way to replicate that offhand. The flexible dates search gives you +/- 3 around specific dates but that isn't quite the same.
Agreed. I enjoyed being able to do +/-3 days across all dates on the calendar. And, I hope that they reinstate this. But, we are probably outliers in wanting this. Most people are traveling for certain dates and would like to see the +/- days around the dates that they planned on traveling.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Agreed. I enjoyed being able to do +/-3 days across all dates on the calendar. And, I hope that they reinstate this. But, we are probably outliers in wanting this. Most people are traveling for certain dates and would like to see the +/- days around the dates that they planned on traveling.
So far the best I've come up with is:

- set up your parameters: airports, airline, connection criteria etc.

- for let's say a same-day turn on a MR, pick the same date for both legs

so now I'm looking at a two-month calendar of fares for same-day turns

to check 1-day trips click either < on the departure date or > on the return date and now it shows a two-month calendar of fares for one-day trips
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
So far the best I've come up with is:

- set up your parameters: airports, airline, connection criteria etc.

- for let's say a same-day turn on a MR, pick the same date for both legs

so now I'm looking at a two-month calendar of fares for same-day turns

to check 1-day trips click either < on the departure date or > on the return date and now it shows a two-month calendar of fares for one-day trips
Makes total sense! Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Hey y'all, I think we're now covering the use cases I've seen here, but feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
- Set origin and destination
- Set tentative dates
- Look at the Flexible Dates to see +/- a few days (and you can scroll either outbound or inbound here)
- Look at the (relatively new) Price Graph to see prices over the next many months, and note you can change the trip length here (4 days, 5 days, etc.)

Let me know if this largely takes care of your date'ish desires
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Hey y'all, I think we're now covering the use cases I've seen here, but feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
- Set origin and destination
- Set tentative dates
- Look at the Flexible Dates to see +/- a few days (and you can scroll either outbound or inbound here)
- Look at the (relatively new) Price Graph to see prices over the next many months, and note you can change the trip length here (4 days, 5 days, etc.)

Let me know if this largely takes care of your date'ish desires
Not quite... But, I can live with it

Now: when will you link ITA Matrix itineraries to Google Flights for booking! I'm sick of having to do this manually
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Can't book flight found with Google

I found a flight on Google that I would like to purchase, but when I click book w/AA, it says check for errors and that the price has changed (The fare for this itinerary has changed since you selected your flight(s)), yet it lets me go to the purchase page and enter my pay info. It does not let me hold the reservation as it involves other airlines (I was able to do a hold w/BA just a few days ago, but not today, it appears). Finally, when I try to Review and Pay and select purchase, I get "Unavailable." System Error
This feature is currently unavailable. Please wait a few moments and try again.

I've tried a few times with the same result. Please help! Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: EMT-P
How about you provide some information like start/end, date, etc.?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:56 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Hard to say much without more details. Are you able to replicate the price searching directly on aa.com or BA.com instead of going through google? How about on a third party booking site like Orbitz?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Can't book flight found with Google

Try your identical search on kayak or hipmunk which use a similar data source but have other booking options.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Also, I'm pretty sure that Google flights' speed is attributed to cached data, so it could be that the fare you're finding is simply sold out and not updated at Google yet.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Thanks for the input. I'm trying for DEN-SIN in Jan 16-18 and in Mar 26-28 I tried the search on kayak, but didn't even get to the page just before paying. What I don't understand is that with google, I got connected to AA, logged in and made it to the review and pay page and then was told "The feature is currently unavailable." This page comes up right after my passenger info page when I use kayak. Maybe it is that the fare's sold out, but I don't get why I can get to the penultimate page on google but not on kayak.

Added info- "I talked with an AA agent last night who informed me that JAL very often has pricing issues- that is, that a fare found online will inevitably be different if it contains a leg with JAL. That explains why there was the error message, but not why I could get to the penultimate page with everything seeming to be ok, but not able to buy the ticket.

Last edited by luigibres; Nov 27, 2015 at 7:38 pm Reason: New information
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Google Flights - Map Search Changes

It looks like Google Flights got an update and changed their Map Search. Instead of the price/date slider that pops up when selecting a destination, it now has a sidebar with the first three flights and some other random information.

The removal of the price/date slider there was extremely convenient when you had flexible dates and destinations for your travel. Now it requires quite a few more steps when looking for cheap, flexible date destinations, especially for MR or Segment Runs.

Are there any other changes that people have noticed?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by hartlogan
It looks like Google Flights got an update and changed their Map Search. Instead of the price/date slider that pops up when selecting a destination, it now has a sidebar with the first three flights and some other random information.

The removal of the price/date slider there was extremely convenient when you had flexible dates and destinations for your travel. Now it requires quite a few more steps when looking for cheap, flexible date destinations, especially for MR or Segment Runs.

Are there any other changes that people have noticed?
I agree. Also, I don't want to see hotels on a page called flights. Perhaps an optional separate tab? I like the old G.c/f a lot better for the reasons you described.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.