Bose QC35 Released: Wireless and USB Rechargeable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose QC35 Released: Wireless and USB Rechargeable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
Thanks for the reply. This review I read made it sound like the NC doesn't work in corded mode. Can you confirm that in fact it does?

https://www.cnet.com/products/bose-quietcomfort-35/

The good news is the headphone does work as a wired headphone if the battery runs out of juice (a 47.2-inch cord is included -- it's slimmer than the one that comes with the QC25 and has no integrated microphone). You just can't use the noise-canceling or Bluetooth, of course, but at least you can get some sound out of it, and the tight seal of the ear cups does provide a fair amount of noise isolation.
I am pretty sure that this quote is saying that you can use the headphones in wired mode, even with a dead battery - but since the battery is dead, you won't get NC.

The manual says that you can "Use the supplied back-up audio cable to connect a non-wireless device, or if the headphone battery is depleted."

I have them, and the only limitation that I have come across is that you can't run NC while charging. I have used them with the IFE a few times, and NC definitely seems to be working as far as I can tell.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Fliar
Thanks for the reply. This review I read made it sound like the NC doesn't work in corded mode. Can you confirm that in fact it does?

https://www.cnet.com/products/bose-quietcomfort-35/

The good news is the headphone does work as a wired headphone if the battery runs out of juice (a 47.2-inch cord is included -- it's slimmer than the one that comes with the QC25 and has no integrated microphone). You just can't use the noise-canceling or Bluetooth, of course, but at least you can get some sound out of it, and the tight seal of the ear cups does provide a fair amount of noise isolation.
The sentence is a bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure the author meant that NC doesn't work if the battery is dead. With a dead battery, Bluetooth also doesn't work, thus the need to be plugged in if you want to listen to anything. The sentence structure just confusingly crosses over the two dependencies.

Simpler interpretation:
Good battery: Wired or wireless audio. NC available.
Dead battery: Wired audio only. NC not available.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm is the noise cancellation switchable independent of the audio?

Can you turn on NC whether or not you're playing audio either from wired or wireless source?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

Can you turn on NC whether or not you're playing audio either from wired or wireless source?
Umm... This is tricky. NC is optional when using in wired mode for sure, but I don't think it can be disabled in Bluetooth mode. I will have to try that when I get home.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by wco81

IIRC, the QC35s have a single power switch that turns on/off both BT and ANC at the same time. Since they have to be powered on to use BT, that means ANC is always on when you're listening wirelessly.

I think this also means that you get better audio over a wired source when ANC is on (since the headphones are now powered), but my personal take was that Bose audio quality isn't that great anyway, so...

In the spirit of fairness, the MDR-1000X I use has its own flaws. With the QC35s you could just leave them turned on and enjoy ANC without any audio connection, for example if you're asleep. With the Sony cans, you can toggle ANC on/off and into different passthrough modes all day long, but if you're not connected to an audio source, they'll power off after a few minutes and you're then just wearing a really expensive pair of earmuffs. Workaround is to leave them connected to phone Bluetooth and just put your phone on silent.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gooselee
The sentence is a bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure the author meant that NC doesn't work if the battery is dead. With a dead battery, Bluetooth also doesn't work, thus the need to be plugged in if you want to listen to anything. The sentence structure just confusingly crosses over the two dependencies.

Simpler interpretation:
Good battery: Wired or wireless audio. NC available.
Dead battery: Wired audio only. NC not available.

Thanks everyone for your responses, much appreciated.

You've just cost me $300 as I'll need to go and buy some now
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if the author is assuming that one wouldn't use the cord unless the battery dies, and those features require power.
The review is referring to what happens when the battery is dead. You can still use the phones corded, but NC and Bluetooth, both of which require battery power, won't work.

I don't have these phones because I don't like the lossy compression of Bluetooth, but I'm quite sure the NC function works both corded and cordless.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:59 am
KCZ

Originally Posted by KCZ
More follow-up:

The right earpiece is now becoming hot, and I have a lot of static and complete sound cut outs. Maybe there's a short somewhere. Due to some inexplicable prescience, I bought a Geek Squad replacement plan so they're being exchanged on Friday.
And now a sorry end to a sorry saga...
I exchanged my QC35's for a new pair, and the replacements were defective right out of the box. They had a lot of static and the sound cutouts were so frequent that I could generally hear about one syllable out of five. I spent a considerable amount of time re-pairing them with everything I could find, then pairing a cheap set of BT headphones to those same BT sources, and confirmed that the Bose pair was indeed the culprit. Best Buy took this replacement pair back and refunded my money after I declined a third pair.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:26 pm

Well, currently on the phone with Bose Support. Have a pair of the Silver QC35's which were purchased in Dec 2016. The "Power Button" (a well known documented issue if you google it) no longer works and is broken internally somehow. As if the switch assembly inside became loose or dehinged or something. So that's a problem. Very Disappointed I'm hoping the new one they send me has addressed this issue.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by usafltg
Well, currently on the phone with Bose Support. Have a pair of the Silver QC35's which were purchased in Dec 2016. The "Power Button" (a well known documented issue if you google it) no longer works and is broken internally somehow. As if the switch assembly inside became loose or dehinged or something. So that's a problem. Very Disappointed I'm hoping the new one they send me has addressed this issue.
Jeez I didn't know these seem to have a lot of quality control/design issues...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by el aye
Jeez I didn't know these seem to have a lot of quality control/design issues...
Agreed, have been thinking about purchasing for awhile, but sort of disappointing to see some of the issues in this thread.

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:05 pm

I bought mine about 9 months ago and use them on 4-6 flights per week. I have had zero issues. (Knock on wood.....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.